Should unnecessary autopsies be performed?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Why?, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

Autopsies are disgusting. They crack open your skull and take out your brains. They lift the skin off your face. They cut open your insides like an 8th grade science project. Should such mutilation of the dead be permitted unless absolutely necessary?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

No I wish they were banned all together.

That way the next time I want to poison somebody it will just go unnoticed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

When do they do it when it isn't necessary?
    In medical school and research facilities they do it so doctors/scientists can learn. And if they are doing an autopsy, there is obviously a reason why.

But yeah, they are disgusting. That's why I don't do them.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Only Alien ones should be allowed.

8. Why? Registered Senior Member

Autopsies are often performed at the request of family members in order to pursue medical malpractice lawsuits.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, and when they find the doctor has removed the wrong diseased kidney, or left in a clamp, or...
    Its only deemed unecessary after its been done and then they find nothing wrong, not before.

lol, are you a doctor??

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, it's educational and the dead don't care. I've been in a university anatomy lab, and it's actually very interesting.

11. Why? Registered Senior Member

I've seen pictures of autopsies, and it's disgusting. Sure the dead don't care, but who wishes to be mutilated when they die? It's undignified and disgraceful.

12. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

All people in university anatomy labs carry round those cards that say their bodies can be used in medical/scientific pursuits , so it's not against their will.

If it wasn't your living will and you are being chopped up for criminal or investigative reasons, the family has to give permission. Furthermore, why do you care? Your dead, unless your following some ancient Egyptian religion where you need your body in the afterlife then it wont exactly affect you?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm a full body donor. How is it gonna affect my dignity if I'm DEAD?

14. Why? Registered Senior Member

The dignity of your memory. Especially the memory contained in autopsy photos of you lying on a gurney with your jugs hanging out near a three foot incision in your chest showing your half-digested last meal.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are they sending those photos to my family in their next xmas card???
    If my body helps someone become a doctor who can help people, then I say cut and mutilate and chop all you want. I'M DEAD!

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Does dignity mean pretending we aren't biological machines? If my death could educate a medical student, isn't that better than merely rotting in the ground?

17. Why? Registered Senior Member

One problem is, you don't know where those photos will end up. What's the big deal about training doctors anyway? Aren't there enough donor bodies to satisfy the demand? I'd rather rot in the ground. No need to tarnish memories with disgusting autopsies.

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

what if some type of justice comes from it?...I wouldnt care..im not using my body anymore

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You are just being emotional with NO logic being applied at all. Grow up and enter the real world!!

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well then wouldn't it be mean to send the photos out to purposely upset people? That has to be more disgusting than the autopsy itself.

21. Why? Registered Senior Member

There is logic. Disturbing autopsy photos can cause others emotional distress. Why should I put my loved ones through such emotional trauma?

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why on earth would they send you the photos??

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

why would anyone show them the photos?