Got Carded Today!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Thoreau, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Just kinda pissed right now. I am 23 years old and I'm from a relatively small town where everyone knows eachother. And there is a gas station less than 1/4 mile away from where I live which I go to atleast 2x a day. Everyone knows me there, they know who I am, where I live, where I work, where I'm going to college, my time in the military etc. So my relationship with the employees there is fairly close, so much so that I usually leave my wallet at home and just take the cash I need when I go there. I walk in and its like visiting friends. Well, not today. They had moved an employee from another store from a different town to this store today for some added help. And this new guy happened to be a store manager at his gas station. I walk in and everyone greeted me except the new guy, which is fine. I wait in line and when I get to the counter I ask for a pack of smokes. The guy asked me for me ID, which is understandable because I've never seen him and he's never seen me. Well today was one of those usual days that I leave my ID and stuff at home, simply because hardly ever need it. Realizing that, I informed the guy that everyone here knows me very well and knows that I am well above 18. I don't even look even close to 18. I don't sound like I'm 18. And this was the first time I've been carded for anything in a LONG time. So after I informed him that I knew everyone there and that they know I am well above 18, he responded by saying "Well, I don't know you so I need your ID". So I talked to a few other of the employees and asked them to tell this guy that I am OK to buy smokes. He replied "I don't care what they say, or what you say. I need your ID". Then I said "Look at me, honestly, do I look like I'm under 18?" I've got 7 tattoos, one on my forearm with an American Flag and an Iraqi Flag that says in big bold letters 'Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran'. And again, I don't look like I am 18. I've always been told that I look around 30. Now this is what REALLY pissed me off... he told me after seeing my tattoo that "having a veteran tattoo or even being a vet doesn't count for squat if when trying to buy something illegally." Thus implying that he though I was under 18 and would get that tattoo for the hell of it?????

Now at this point I'm pretty pissed. Both myself and the employees are very aggressively telling him to just check me out because its obvious that I am over 18 and that everyone there knows me etc. Then he said he's not selling me the smokes because I can't provide my ID. So I went back home, grabbed my ID (my military ID). And when I went back, I gave the ID to him. For those of you who don't know, a Military ID is a legitamate form of ID, just like your drivers license. I gave it to him, and then he said "What am I supposed to do with this? I need your drivers license." I loudly informed him that my military ID is a valid form of ID and that he should just read the birthdate on the back. OR EVEN SCAN IT!!! It scans just like a Drivers License. So he handed it back to me and told me to get my drivers license. I pushed it BACK across the counter and said "No, your going to scan this ID and check me out so I can leave already because this is getting rediculous". Well he picked it up and handed is back to me. SO yeah, I lost it. I jumped over the counter and scanned my own ID on his register and told him that that was all he needed and that if he didn't check me out, then we were going to have some major problems and that I strongly suggested that he does what I say so I can be on my way. You should have seen the look on the customers faces behind me. If they didn't know who I was, it could easily have been mistaken for robbing the place lol. He shut up and checked me out. Just as I was walking out, Tommy, a friend of mine who happens to be one of the local county sherrif's and and OIF vet as well, walked in and greeted me as I passed. I was noticably pissed, so he asked if I was OK. I told him what had happened and how the cashier said being a vet doesn't count for squat. He didn't say a word back. He just walked in and from then until I got in my car, all I heard was Tommy yelling at the top of his lungs at this guy, something about how he was worthless and could never do what war vets have done which was why he was working at a gas station. Im waiting to call him and see exactly what he said lol.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

you are a bunch of macho. Just do things the way they should be properly done, bring the driver license ID and do not just expect something for granted.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that. I can understand the cashier wanting a good type of ID for today there are police that send in kids to places to check and see if they card them or not. This cashier probably had a problem before with an underage client and got into trouble, perhaps, and only was being overly cautious. I also had a military ID when I served and it too wasn't allowed to be used for identification at my local beer hall even back in the 1960's! Seems the same problems we had then still happen today. That doesn't mean that you have the right to jump over the counter at the cashier and you were lucky they didn't shoot you. They also could have had you arrested for going behind the counter without permission which is a felony. So you are lucky on both those counts. Keep your head, don't let your emotions run away with yourself.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peta9 Registered Senior Member

There are tons of difficult, annoying and/or people that just find you suspicious.

I was in a restaurant several times where my boyfriend paid with his credit card and he was never asked for ID. When I tried to pay using my credit card, they asked me for ID and it did piss me off because they never asked for his. I think the woman who took it was just jealous because my credit card was a bank of hawaii! I did hate that woman so. LOL.

8. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I knew I wouldn't get in any trouble because everyone there knows me. Its not uncommon for me be behind the counter.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I still get carded - age 33

10. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

HEY

hOWS IT GOING

YOU SHOULD TAKE IT AS FLATERY - I LOVE IT WHEN I GET CARDED!!