Peanut Allergies

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Oct 16, 2007.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Do any of you have peanut allergies? or your kids?

I was just talking about this yesterday. My son's school since he started yrs ago has always had a few kids with peanut allergies. They are not allowed to bring anything containing peanuts for lunch or snacks to school. I do not remember it being like this when I went to school. We could bring anything we wanted for lunch, which was peanut butter and jam alot.

Do you think it is fair for a school of 800 kids (maybe 10 have peanut allergies) to restrict all others from bringing anything that contains peanuts?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, why should other kids be restricted ?
    Are they afraid some of the peanut-intolerant kids are bullies and steal other kids lunch ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

LoL.... maybe
    Well I said why not put the 10 kids together in one room at lunch? instead of having them scattered in all different rooms.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I really think it's the responsibility of the parents of those particular kids not to give them peanut-containing lunches to take with them to school. All the other kids have nothing to do with it whatsoever in my opinion.
    I don't see why they can't all sit together at lunch. How old are these kids ?

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

The school is JK-Grade 5 ( the kids with the allergies are grade 1 and up though)

I also think it is the responsibilty of the parents to make sure their kid understands that they EAT only the lunch they are given. If they don't they could get really sick or even DIE!

They have lunchroom attendants, to keep an eye on things too.

Do other people have schools with this rule?

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In that case I think everything is pretty much solved. The situation certainly does not call for all the kids to be restricted from taking peanut-lunches with them.

Maybe the school thinks it's not fair to the peanut-intolerant kids.. ?

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Shorty, I believe your estimate of ten out of 800 is probably too low. I think 10% is more accurate and that would be 80 kids.

While I agree that it really sounds too harsh, there's an underlying problem that schools have to deal with: kids, being just kids, aren't capable of using good judgment in anything - including sharing/swapping food with each other.

(On a side note and honestly trying to be helpful and not picky, there's no such word as "alot." It's two words "a lot." I only mention it because I see it used here frequently and I think that many people simply don't know it's incorrect. Some of the confusion may arise from the fact that there IS a word spelled "allot." It means to assign or distribute on some proportional basis.)

I now return us to the main topic.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I never heard of any such rule before but then I never knew any peanut-intolerant kids either

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I think pardon the pun its "NUTS" lol.

At the beginning of the yr they send us a newsletter. I have recieved one every yr since he started JK. It says once again they have kids with peanut allerigies. They attach a list of acceptable snacks........all peanut free. You are NOT allowed to send anything else.

Like for instance granola bars must be PEANUT free......all cookies whatever.
    After Halloween they send another saying MAKE SURE nothing contains peanuts, Guess that means no peanut butter cups YUMMMMMM.

It is becoming the norm in the schools around here. I don't think it is fair to the kids with no allergies.

I don't know if this is true: but they say that even if some kid is eating something with peanuts beside them, the peanut oils could become air bourne?:shrug:

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That seems highly unlikely.. lol

Maybe you should bring up the fact that your kids need peanuts in their diet, that they are peanut-dependant

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

LOL ok ......spelling tips 101 I think I have been doing that my whole life (alot)

Actually I know it is 10. I know this because I was going to be a lunch time
    supervisor(until I came to my senses lol). Anyway they gave us a folder with the 10 kids for the 2007 yr with a picture of each of them. They told us to keep a special eye out for them.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Good. In this particular instance you have an inside track.

I read something not too long ago that said the number of kids with peanut allergies is rising and that the national average is now somewhere near 10%. That's what I was basing my estimate of 80 on but it will certainly vary a lot from area to area.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is it really that big of a hardship protecting another child's life??

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Orleander, do you agree or disagree with president Bush's 'eavesdropping' program?

Because if you don't, you're being hypocritical.
    His eavesdropping program would allow him to spy on terrorism suspects(but the program would allow him to snoop on anyone if they were suspected of terror activity).
    What I'm getting at is his program, forces everyone to give up some of their rights, so we can catch a few terrorists, and 'protecting other person's lives'.
    Just like the schools are forcing children that can eat peanuts to give up eating peanuts at the school, just so a few children don't accidentally eat peanuts.

Good initiative by the school board; BAD judgement.

That stupid policy made me think of this:
    http://neilclark66.blogspot.com/2007/03/mr-common-sense-rip.html

18. draqon Banned Banned

gush...of course it is unfair.

But baroness, use it to your advantage...peanuts got cholesterol...give your son healthy food. Not just the old peanuts and jelly sandwiches.

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My one son HATES peanut butter, won't touch it! But I mean sometimes you are in a pinch going what the hell, can't give him this can't give him that!

20. superstring01 Moderator

My nephew is severely allergic to peanuts (and about six million other things). When my sister ate a Snickers Bar at my house and then went home and kissed him on the lips, his whole fact swelled up and they needed to rush him to the ER. The infinitesimal remnants of the peanuts in the candy bar were enough to make him swell up like Zeppelin.

~String

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

There are lactose intolerant kids too. Should they stop the milk program at school too?

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

23. superstring01 Moderator

Except that I'm thinking that lactose intolerance requires the ingestion of said product (and only gives gas or belly aches), whereas peanut particles in the air can kill a kid.

That said, however, I do think that it's ridiculous to punnish kids who AREN'T allergic to peanuts by making them eat in secluded rooms and tables. The lunch room needs to be divided so that a third of it is peanut free-- this gives the room enough space to acomodate lots of kids who just don't eat peanut stuff and allows the allergic kids to mainstream enough so that they don't feel like freaks.

~String