Rugby vs american football

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ashpwner, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i mean in pain wise, id have to go with rugby since they don't were padding like the americans do.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Also I like that everybody has the same bodytype. They don't have big fatass defenders and skinny runners, everybody does everything. They are pretty bulky too, specially the legs...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Let's not jump to conclusions, there is a reason why american football players wear pads. If you've ever compared how the players interact with each other, you would see that in rugby, it is like soccer (football), the players are always close to the rugby ball, so takles are not extremly painful. In football, players are very widely spread apart because of the "plays" in the game. In these plays, there are defensive players far away from the football, to intercept the offensive players, the defensive interceptors will run at the offensive player at full speed. Without pads, football would be fatal.

There was even an incident in where a football player suffered severe spine damage because of a tackle. The two sports may look very similar, but they are actually very different.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

How big (height and weight) is the average rugby player?

You are correct.
    http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news_5221.html

Take a look at some of these hits:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmm8mTpMJPY

And this one on Reggie Bush of the New Orleans Saints. The defender knocks the ball out of his hands.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8524393

Don't get me wrong, I have a huge amount of respect for rugby. It's an insane sport.
    But like Exeter said; the plays are different and rugby players are always close to the ball. They almost exclusively tackle (if I'm not mistaken) whereas American football players tackle and hit.
    Do rugby players ever get to 'shoulder tackle' another rugby player, running at full speed?

8. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I've seen some pretty crazy rugby hits, but both games are totally different in the way they play and contact each other.

I personally prefer football, but I love to watch rugby.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The pads, in football, are mostly for hitting with. They are like boxing gloves - they allow harder blows, that would otherwise break the joints and bones of the one delivering the hit.

A hard tackle in football is about equivalent to a 30kph car crash. If you want to know what it feels like, pick up a loaf of bread in one hand and run as fast as you can into a tree. You can wear full football pads. You can't drop the bread.

10. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

fair enough i can see you're points but i'm not just counting the takels.Have you ever seen a scrum when the ref is not looking lethal there is always a guy with blood spewing out of his nose.

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

American Football > Aussia Rules > Rugby

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Have you ever wondered what goes on down at the bottom of a pile up in football?
    Eye-gouging, finger bending, sucker punching, stepping on hands and feet, etc.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

rugby is too compressed for me. It seems like the guys are always in a huddle fighting for the ball.
    How many guys have been paralyzed playing rugby vs football?

14. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I agree. I like watching one play at a time. Keeps things fresh and you anything could happen.

I don't know how many have been paralyzed in either. If I had to guess I'd say American football is more prone to paralysis. These dudes just charge at each other head on.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Without a helmet in Rugby, I doubt you "lead with your head" like in American Football. I would say there would many more spine injuries in football...more missing teeth in Rugby.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I don't disagree with that at all. I've always wanted to give rugby a try here at school, but I know I will be annihalated. Maybe I should just man up and take the beating... 'cause I really want to play.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and if you combine rugby with football, what do you get??
    HOCKEY!!

18. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

WATER POLO!

19. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

lol i think were biased thogh lol american football means more to americans were as rugby means much more to us asusies and others...but i find american football spends so much time lining up the whistle seems to go every 5 minutes.

20. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Really?! I always thought hockey was a mix of football and soccer.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Now there's a rough sport.

I've seen photos from the Olympic match between Russia and (edit - Czechoslovakia was hockey- the water polo match was vs Hungary in 56) Hungary - according to witness reports, you couldn't see the bottom of the pool for the blood in the water. Anybody verify that?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  22. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Skinny runners = 215 lb, 6 feet tall?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but in football the athletes doing the hitting are bigger and stronger, by a lot. You can get paralyzed from football hits.

Football is also probably more painful to watch. More commercials than game time.