Funeral Procession

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lone_Desperado, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Lone_Desperado Registered Member

What is the proper etiquette for a funeral procession when you are not in it? I know growing up in a small town that if there was a funeral procession, you would pull over to the side of the road and stop, but what if it is a major highway? Also is there other etiquettes in different countries?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It depends on the situation. If you are on an expressway the procession should only take up one lane and you should be able to go around them in other lanes. You shouldn't cut into their procession unless its necessary. If you are on a two lane divided high then they should stay in one lane and you should be able to pass them in the other lane. If its a one lane road then they take up the road and you should just follow behind them until they get to where they are going or you do.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

if it's Iraq...get out of the area as fast as you can.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Drive up beside them and frantically demand they make room for you to merge into them.
    Honk your horn because they always go so slow.
    Take advantage of their right of way and ability to run red lights.
    Make fake little teary, crying eye, gestures when one of them pulls up beside you to give you shit.
    Alternatively, hold your nose and make a screwed up face while pointing at the hearse over and over with your free hand. Inevitably, they will try to run you off the road and then you pretend you totally lose control and hit the back right corner of the dead guy's ride and send his decaying carcass into the ditch. Sue all parties involved for damages.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  8. draqon Banned Banned

and if its New Orleans, just come join the fun of the funeral procession...sing along the hip hop blended jazz tunes while sipping alcohol beverages.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

I always stop and face the car and wait till itr passes... i don't know why... i've always done it.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Which car? There are sometimes a hundred or so in a procession.

11. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

i thought you just do the sign of the cross and carry on as normal.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What if you're Jewish?

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The simplest reason is just to show some compassion in regards to those that have lost someone, this usually means not attempting to cut a procession up however if the procession is long anyway there is a likelihood that it will have police at both ends of it to keep it flowing smoothly.

Some people have superstitious beliefs in regards to the dead's procession, personally I'd just seek an alternative route (for the most part such processions stay of major roads and are headed for churches/crematoriums)

14. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

You do whatever the jewish equivalent of the sign of the cross is.

15. draqon Banned Banned

dollar bills?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

or gold...

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

When I'm walking, I pause and remove my hat as the hearse goes by.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

What is the sign for gold?

18. draqon Banned Banned

Au? flag of Australia...

19. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I ended up breaking into a procession once. Totally by accident. I had no idea what was going on until I stopped at a redlight and the people behind be started honking and going nuts. Oops.

I added some excitement to the day.

20. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

If I'm going in the same direction and get stuck behind one, I take an alternate route if I can't pass. My grandmother refused to pass a procession because "rushing ahead of a hearse is too much like rushing to your own grave." If I can pass, I pull on my headlights as I do so and, as I pass the hearse I put my hand over my heart. Don't know why. If I'm approaching an oncoming procession, I pull on the headlights as I go by. Again, don't know why.

Police funerals, because my family on my mother's side was mostly San Jose Police (while my father's side of the family were gunslingers and outlaws!), are a little different. I grew up around cops, and my uncle was the Assistant Chief of Police, SJPD. Although I know plenty of cops can be assholes, I also know for a fact that there are a lot of good guys behind those badges. So for police funerals from any town, especially when they stop traffic to let the humongous procession cross traffic, I pull on the headlights, shut the car off, and get out, placing my hand over my heart (assuming traffic has actually been stopped, of course).

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I pull over and wait til the whole thing passes. I've never seen one on the main highways.
    My husband joins so he can drive through all the red lights. moron.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think, perhaps, the Golden Rule might apply, don't you?

"Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you."

Simple, plain, easy to understand, and almost always correct in almost all situations in almost all nations of the world.

Baron Max