Sigh.... "Nerd Culture"

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Zefrieg, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zefrieg Registered Member

The title of this sub-forum is in bad taste. It amazes me that a devotion to science or technology can give you a stereotypical name reference like "nerd". It is amazing that in the US most people will think you are a loser if you have a broad knowledge in a certain subject. Well, unless that subject is football, cars, speakers, or gossip. I guess Im just complaining, but I really hated it when I saw smart kids getting picked on because they were very intelligent. What do you expect though. The majority of people in the world are ignorant. If you are any better, than you are not part of the crowd. Sigh....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Actually, I used to think the word "nerd", or "geek", meant stupid. Like dumb or goofy (like someone who is clumbsy or would make a full of himself).

I might be listed that way in the dictionary. But as I understand it, if you look at what most people consider it today, it basically means a tech, a computer junkie.

I think people started referring to bill gates as a nerd (especially when he was younger before he made it to microsoft).

I think people started saying "well it's someone who wears a pocket-protector, or has really thick glasses and never gets up from the PC. Someone who is too educated"

I don't think it is really looked down on, if you will, as much as the term might used to be.

I've spoken to a few general people around, and they seem to acquaint it with computer freaks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cupric What's a wookie? Registered Senior Member

Nahhh....the Poindexters of the world have reclaimed the word "nerd" and made it their own. (Hah, hah, I made a funny)

It's one of those words that is only offensive when being used in an offensive way. Smart people call themselves nerdy with pride. Homosexuals call themselves queer with pride. Dark skinned people call themselves Nigger with pride. Loose women call themselves slut with pride.

(I should know, I call myself two of those things quite proudly)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

A queer slut, cupric?

BTW, not 'nigger' but 'nigga' or 'niggah' is used.

Say it loud:

I'm a nerd and I'm proud.

8. Cupric What's a wookie? Registered Senior Member

Close, Xev!

I was actually heading for Nerdy Slut, if such a thing can be imagined.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Cupric my sister-in-arms! I thought that I was the only one!

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

Yeah,its kinda sad i know...
    but hey,today if you see most of those 800 score(SAT) math guys would love to be called nerds or geeks,they"ll proud to be reffered as that...

bye!

11. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

Spot the irony! Beautiful!

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Be nice, now.

13. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Oh, oh my. Oooops

Anyone offering keyboard/typing lessons?

14. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Nerds make more money and eventually get all the hot chicks.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There's always the fall back...

one finger per hand active

16. jjhlk Guest

Hot chicks are only Ok if they are smart enuff and have character. Otherwise if you marry them, it's like marrying a blow-up doll. And trust me... sex isn't everything, even (especially) if you are a nerd.

I dunno about the USA, but here on Vancouver Island, BC Canada, I get no hassle at all about being smart. Although I'm not an overacheiver either. (my chemistry scores range from 98% to 74% on big tests.. i hate chemistry soooo much, and therefore don't study at all. but i dont study for anything either. grades aren't everything right? ironically enuff, i think like that, but they are so easy to achieve.)

17. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Any other nerds here play paintball?

18. jjhlk Guest

I have played paintball... but I don't have enough money for buying equipment; the chance of me getting to play again is very low

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.