To smack or not to smack.....that is the question:

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Oct 5, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Does anyone here think its ok to smack children? should punishment be, grounding, or taking away favourate toys?

also where does someone draw the line? when is it ok to smack and not ok to smack, and how far with the smacking should people go, obviously beating children to a pulp isnt needed, but is smacking a good thing or bad thing?

also when a child swears, is it ok to "wash they're mouths out with soap and water"? and does punishment of this level actaully hurt them?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Smack where?
    My parents and guardians (when I lived with my aunt) spanked me with a paddle or belt. I think I turned out fine.
    I also think smacking their hand just hard enough to get their attention is OK too. I would never smack a child in the face or head though.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not OK to smack or hit, or to wash someone's mouth out with soap. It's a sure sign of a lack of parenting skills.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I don't hit my kids. My mom had no problem hitting me when I was a kid. There wasn't the bullshit of time outs back then. I don't use those either. My kids know that when I use a certain tone I have had enough.

I have grounded my older son for a a couple days here and there in his life (he is 11)
    Really I haven't encountered anything that has required much punishment yet KNOCK ON WOOD.

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well not on the head, i was thinking more like the back of the legs or the butt!

you should never slap a childs head with anything, also if you slap a boy according to my friend you shouldnt slap they're butts? does that sound right?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't hit. Assault is illegal and I don't do it.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no i dont hit mine either but i just thought it would be interesting to get members thoughts on the matter

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Spankings with a bare hand never really hurt me, so I more or less scoffed at them. Spankings with a paddle or belt were the ones that got my attention. I do not, nor will I ever think paddle or belt spankings are abusive. And for spankings, nowhere else but on the bottom would be acceptable. I remember my grandma would go get a thin hickory limb and swat us on our bare calves when we screwed up. I do think that's excessive.

Spanking isn't hitting. Hitting is the term used for a strike with a closed fist.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

So you don't do it just because it's illegal?

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

a what?

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't do it because I view it as assault. I don't know how people get away with assaulting their children. Adults can defend themselves, but children can't. When they do try, they probably get assaulted worse. Why is it ok to assault children, but if you tried with an adult, you'd be arrested. :shrug:

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so open handed is ok? So a slap isn't assault?

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What's interesting to me is before, say, the 1950s, spanking was considered perfectly okay as a punishment for kids. But with the "new" ideas about spanking, it would seem that all of those people born before, say, the 1940s, turned out to be horrid, twisted, warped, vicious individuals.

And what's even more interesting is that during the time of those people's lives, the world's industrial might grew in leaps and bounds to what it is today. So, ....how could spanking be so wrong now, yet turn out some of the most productive people on Earth?

Baron Max

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We have also had the most destructive wars in the history of the Earth.

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

A thin end of a branch (a long twig if you will) of a hickory tree. About the same size and diameter of a car radio antenna. They would leave red welts on your leg. Not fun.

19. oyindudu Registered Member

question

I don't know how tp begin a thread but there is this scifi tv series I really want to find. Its about a couple of teenagers sent out into space to find a better earth. The captain was only 18 years old. Does anyone know what its called????

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Show me the law (both federal and state) that deemed spanking a child illegal.

And like I said, it depends on where you slap them.
    You will never, ever convince me that slapping a kid on the ass (spaking) is abusive.

I bet you the parents of the two kids that performed the Columbine massacre never beat their kids' ass when they needed it.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its not illegal to assault your child with a spanking. Spanking is leaglized assault in my opinion. I don't do it.

And there are a lot of children who are well disciplined who have never been hit. Just because a person doesn't assault their children doesn't mean those children will grow up to massacre others.

In fact, I bet if you asked the ones sitting in prisons, most of them had parents who had a 'spare the rod, spoil the child' mentality.

22. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Assault is still assault. Using physical punishment is teaching someone that it is a okay to use it on others.

It's just cruel and literally abuse of someone's body and rights. I think anyone who even thinks of spanking thier child isn't a very good person to begin with and kind of crude in heart. There are many ways to teach and physically stopping someone should only be used if they are in direct danger or others. That's it.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I won't agree there. People do what they know. An adult who was assaulted as a child is more likely to hang onto that form of punishment.