What's so wrong with capital punishment?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Why?, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

Some pig killed someone, and now we want to save the pig?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

Because you could always punish someone who is innocent. And no-one has the right to decide life or death for another person regardless of what they have done. Let them rot in solidarity confinement that is more painful.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

What if you knew without any doubt that they did it?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That's absolutely true, however for cases like that, there should be IRREFUTABLE evidence that the person on death row is guilty.

Nope. I'd much rather see a serial killer get put down 1000 times over seeing him get put in prison for life.
    Execution would both prevent that person from ever taking someone else's life and the taxpayers wouldn't have to fork over their money to keep the dredge on society in prison. Putting someone in prison isn't free, you know. Prison buildings don't build themselves. The food that the prisoners eat doesn't appear out of nowhere. Someone has to pay to incarcerate someone.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah like On Prison Break LoL Damn that show is good!

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's not the only factor, perhaps their rights were violated during the arrest, perhaps the police were biased, even DNA evidence can be wrong in cases of identical twins.

The major reason, in light of the imperfection of the justice system is that no appeal is possible after death.

10. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

If he's in solidarity confinement, Who's life is he going to take?? Except from his own.

You don't have feed them lobster and steak everyday. Food that taste like gruel surely doesn't cost that much. You could always feed them surplus of food, that just goes to waste. And there's always food that goes out of date.

But i could be wrong.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Isn't it up to God ?

12. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

Or Green Mile, I know that is fictional film, but is still a good example of why Capital punishment is wrong. I love Prison Break, but the new series is proper confusing me.

13. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

I guess, even if you are atheist and don't think god exists, someone's life or death shouldn't be decided by another human being.

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Where does the money come from to build the solitary confinement facility? To pay the utility bills? To maintain the building? Where does the money come from to pay the guards and staff to ensure that he never escapes?

And there's where you would get into a prisoners' rights war. Feeding them stale, wasted, or substandard food (that doesn't have to be steak and lobster) from a prisoners' rights standpoint, is not ethical. Something like cruel and unusual punishment comes to mind.

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I missed it on TV, I rented the first season......we are like 2 episodes from the end....Its addictive its gets the heart pumping lol. Then I have to watch season 2.....I have been watching Season 3 thats how I kinda got hooked but never knew how it all began, so I started from the beginning.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out later.

Baron Max

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yeah, that was a kind of sarcastic remark by me. Why is religious yet he supports capital punishment.. seems hypocritical to me.

18. Why? Registered Senior Member

What if the murderer confesses, and says, "Yea, I did it. Kill me." Why not kill him then?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because God has forbidden it ? You have to show them mercy.

20. Why? Registered Senior Member

How do you show mercy by not killing someone who is begging for you to kill them?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think the government should have that power. If you want, you should be allowed to kill yourself.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

We did! The Oklahoma City bomber, forgot his name, requested over and over to be executed, but the court ruled that he had to go through the proper appeals process before they could execute him. Odd, huh?

Baron Max

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, I think the government should follow the dictates of the voters ...and the voters overwhelmingly want the death penalty.

Well, you are free to kill yourself. It's only a crime if you're so fuckin' stupid that you fail to do the job!

Baron Max