My Theory on Cosmological Acceleration

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Reiku, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

In all my time studying physics, i've had a problem with parallel universe theory. But this last year, i've found certain question perfectly difficult to answer with the absence of other universes... One of those questions was ''where did energy come from?''
    The Standard Interpretation will have us believe that energy came from no where. Maybe. But this troubled me. So, using quantum physics, i used the well-known theories of ground and excited states. A ground state universe would not have had a unique radius or time of beginning - in other words, it wold not have begun as a singularity. It would have had at its structural center, a wormhole, a topologoical opening in both space and time.
    If the universe is in a ground state, then it will not spill out any energy, and it cannot quantum leap into any new configuration. But, in an excited state universe, it will be able to spill out energy after trillions of years, and this energy would move into another universe that IS in its ground state. Perhaps this is where our energy came from? - I pondered. I still have a soft spot for this theory.

But something else has been annoying me this year, and that is, this heavy debate on universal acceleration.
    There is now a growing number of physicists who don't believe that dark matter exists... now there is even a growing populous saying that dark energy doesn't exist... If that is the case, what is causing universal acceleration... ???
    Just last week, i sat down, and pondered this; making myself mindless over it. Then i put the conclusions down in axioms:

1. The Universe is accelerating, until we can prove otherwise.
    2. That the universe is dieing, using up its resources even quicker through acceleration.

These two points shuddered a thought from a parallel universe viewpoint. We all know about the problamatic situation of the [energy] required for parallel universes. In fact, the energy is astronomical... In fact, i think there is an infinite amount of energy required for an infinite amount of univeses...
    Suppose that parallel universe was the right theory... no questions asked... where is this final energy being pulled from? The only answer probable would be the space and time it created... an infinite or finite amount of universes; if this is true, then what IF the energy used to create these parallel universes was in fact making the universe accelerate towards its death?

Now... i haven't been able to shape this theory into anything solid yet... but what does everyone think of it?:shrug:

Reiku :m:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bsemak Just this guy, you know Registered Senior Member

Ok, here is a reply. You dont say much on how you got there, but on your two points:

1. Yes that makes sense, and that is what we should do.

2. Huh? :bugeye: What do you mean that the universe is dying?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

Hi

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Em... actually, i'm a bit of a copy cat here. It was first mentioned by Michio Kaku, and i adopted the term of a dying universe... He said, ''The universal acceleration is killing the universe even quicker than what we imagined.''

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. bsemak Just this guy, you know Registered Senior Member

Fair enough. But what did Kaku mean by that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Reiku Banned Banned

Just that ''whatever'' the end of the universe is... whether it be a Big Crunch, Big Rip or Big Chill, it is and is considered the death of the universe. Either way an end is inexorable.

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats the "Big Rip"?

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

How can the universe use up its resources unless it is leaking. Resources can't go anywhere in a closed system.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Nickelodean

Cosmology estimates that the cosmos did in fact begin acceleration about 5 billion years ago, give or take a billion years - before that, it was thought that dark matter and baryons where decelerating the universe. However, the density of dark matter disappears quickly in an expanding universe and will inexorably disappear, leaving dark energy to become the dominant matter in the universe.
    When the volume of the universe doubles, the density of dark matter is halved, but the density of dark matter is, as i am sure you could guess, halved, and according to the cosmological constant, dark energy is almost unchanged. Though, here is where Armageddon raises its ugly head, and informs us, if acceleration continues, then our universe will probably face a 'Big Rip'. The hypothesis focuses on the quintessence, phantom energy, spoke of in part one, and a steady balance in the equation of state (w), which resembles the ratio between the dark energy pressure and its energy density.
    When we reach in mathematics w<-1, the universe will be violently ripped apart. In a universe that expands at this alarming rate would mean that the observable universe is shrinking (which is around 14 billion light years away - note, that it is an estimated 40 billion light years away to the edge of the universe). This means that all of those galaxies and stars out on the observable edge of our universe are being whisked away at the speed of light - dragged by space and time itself, (this is not in violation of relativity).
    You can imagine, as the observable universe (a matter dominated region) produces a lot of gravity - and as they are pulled away from each other, interaction of the forces will be strained - and eventually when it reaches a certain critical value, absolutely no interaction will occur - no gravitational pulls, no electromagnetic, no influence of strong or weak forces... the result is a catastrophic rip. Not one particle will survive the rip.
    The authors of this doomsday vision say that the first evidences would be that the galaxies are separated from each other - some scientists argue hauntingly that this is what is happening right now. 60 million years before the end, gravity will not be able to support our galaxy, the Milky Way, and other individual galaxies. In the very last three minutes, our planet will be ripped apart by the destructive forces of acceleration. Not to worry though - by then our sun will have turned into a Red Giant, and we will have all been cindered alive - then all that would be left to rip apart would be a barren earth and a star that was now a black dwarf; and i don't like the thought of that. Perhaps this 'civilized' race will blow itself up first using nuclear weapons...
    Alternatively, our solar system might suffer heat death or (Big Chill theory), with the local superclusters moving beyond the observable horizon, preventing any communication between them causing all useable energy negligible. This was the preferred fate of the universe before big rip theory... however, dark energy is not impervious - and thus can dissipate with time. This means that the main proponents that might cause the big rip, might not happen.
    The Omega Point may come about via another cause. Gravity... that weak force that keeps us fixed to this planet might even be responsible for the contraction of the universe. If the gravitational attraction of all the matter in the observable universe where strong enough, the universe would slow down, and eventually reverse on itself. It is believed, that if big crunch was to happen, it would surely contract as fast as it did expand. This theory is caused through the hypothetical function of (LQG) - ''Loop Quantum Gravity.''
    A lot of speculation has been made concerning when this might happen; one idea is that contraction will begin in about 25 billion years from now... according to physicist Frank Tipler, the universe will begin to contract 10 billion billion years from now - so no immediate worry eh? Though, let us work with the smaller estimation here. Eventually, after 42 billion years of contraction, everything will be shoved back into the gravitational singularity whence it came from, and space and time will end.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

Spurious... what a curious name...

anyway... in parallel universe theory, youwould expect each particle of matter in each universe to be unique...it is according to that universe, but a single particle is shared among an infinity of universes; if there is a leak, it would be from a universe that is in an excited state... Of course, leak might be too strong a word. The splitting and merging could be the result of energy that is strained - we are already seeing this in some odd way or another concerning the diluted properties of spacetime. If the splitting requires an energy (which it does), then this energy is not coming from no where. It must be coming from the universes somehow.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

Also, we cannothave any external force. This would violate relativity.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why is there no evidence for the loss of energy?

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Spurious

I have a little theory that the universe is much older than what we think it to be... maybe several times older. If this is true, then the portion of spacetime we observe (which is [i think] is something like 45 billion light years), is only a minute fraction of what exists... Thus if there is a loss of energy, we will not know about it.

16. Reiku Banned Banned

Everyone... could you please focus on my question?
    P.S. i don't mind questions... but please, tackle the question also.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

So you are going for a very complicated explanation that doesn't improve the existing one, merely has less facts to back it up.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

Its a developing theory. Once i have enough time, i shall go over every nook and cranny, and if i find something which contradicts this new theory, i will post it here. I shall also have Dr. Fred Wolf look over the theory, see if he spots a flaw.

Edit > By the way... it is no more complicated than Dark Energy or Dark Matter being involved, because then we have inflation to deal with, which is a mathematical dubiosity.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

How come your theory doesn't have equations?

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Not yet anyway. First of all, i would like to state, i am terrible at mathematics, though during my time at college, you can imagine it was somthing i had to string out, well... at least during my time there. Also, whilst i may know relativity, newtons laws and what not, i do not know the equations describing dark energy or dark matter. The work i have done on these subjects where essays and a lot... and i mean a lot of work on listening and scribbling nonesense concerning the Cosmological constant... but that was years ago. My mathematical knowledge (not that it was vast to begin with), has been diluted over the years. This is probably another erason why i keep in close contact with Ph.D's accross the globe... my favorite being Dr. Wolf of course. He has a fantastic mind!

21. Reiku Banned Banned

Can i just again refresh everyone the original question...

''Now... i haven't been able to shape this theory into anything solid yet... but what does everyone think of it?''

22. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

reiku

do you watch doc who by the way!!

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes i do... why?