Are you fit?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Norsefire, Oct 2, 2007.

?

How fit do you think you are?

1. ...pass me the remote.

10.8%
  2. I can do daily activities without getting out of puff.

29.7%
  3. I'm pretty fit.

54.1%
  4. I can run a marathon blind-folded.

5.4%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How fit do you think you are? I like to think that I'm pretty fit for an Syrian-American. I'm no marathon runner, but I do work out.

So, how fit are you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i'm very slim, but I'm not very good with resistance activities.. a have been running to help improve that
    I love exercising, makes me sleep like a baby. But I haven't been able to attend the gym since I started my new job ... I guess I have to "make some time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Puma C'mere you devil log! Registered Senior Member

I'm naturally small-framed, petite, but "skinnyfat".

To counter that, I've been lifting weights since my early teens and have gained about 15 pounds since last year after serious bulking. I consider myself strong for someone my size (5'4", 125 lbs) and am in good shape both muscularly and cardiovascularly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Looney Whaaaaat? Registered Senior Member

"Skinnyfat" here too, but I do work out a fair amount. I could run a mile without stopping in a pinch.

8. Beans Yee-Haw Registered Senior Member

ive done some mma fighting, and im a black belt. however All i do is lift, so im sturdy..but I wont be running any marathons.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm 64. I go to the gym 3 times a week. I work out on the arm muscle machines to get rid of some arthritis in my shoulders and I'm up to 50-70 pounds on them. 110 pounds on the abdominal muscles and 140 on the abductors and adductors. I alternate a stationary bike with walking uphill on a treadmill and get my pulse into the 120s.

I'm not an athlete but I seem to be as strong or stronger than most people my age. I've never been a runner but I can walk a couple of miles at 3mph without being out of breath and I can walk 4mph if I have to.

Aside from the arthritis my worst problem is a torn cartilege in one knee. If I climb more than one flight of stairs per day it starts to hurt, but that's about the only impact it has on me. I go dancing every week or two and bounce around with the young people. I'm a musician and I haul around a 120-pound amplifier.

The biggest part of staying fit at my age is being limber. You have to do Eastern style exercises--stretching--not just Western style aerobic and muscle-building stuff.

My resting pulse is about 65, my blood pressure is 130/75, my cholesterol is just barely in the okay zone. I could stand to lose five or ten pounds but who couldn't? I've never dieted and scared my body into developing an efficient metabolism, so I can eat quite a bit. The Four Basic Food Groups start with Chocolate and Pizza.

Best of all, my brain works. When that starts to go it doesn't matter what kind of shape the rest of you is in. Just doesn't matter at all.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I spend all my time on sciforums. I've never seen the outside world.

11. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

How fit am I? For a 400lb fat man? :roflmao:
    Not very.

Although I finally stepped into a gym for 6 weeks earlier this year (after a 13 year avoidance), I got hammered by a month long cold. Killed any persistence--well lack thereof--I had. By the time I got over the damn cold, I was unable to afford to go again--one of the joys of earning less than $15k a year...
    Finally got my budget straightened out.

Looking to restart going to a gym 6 days a week for 30-45 minute recumbant bike rides and lifting weights 20-30 minutes every other day.
    Because it sucks being a 400lb couch potato. I wouldn't recommend it. The 400lb part.

12. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

No poll option for me. I'm a lot more than "pretty fit" imho, but I don't do distance running. I do sprints, power lifting, jumping, which is mutually exclusive with distance running let alone marathons. I'm training to try out for my schools div-1 NCAA basketball team one week from now. I've recently been doing a bit of yoga and pilates too.

13. draqon Banned Banned

I am more like a bunny sized bear...or bear sized rabbit

14. Reiku Banned Banned

lol...

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

It's not that I'm less fit than most people, but I have high standards which I feel I fail to meet. When I used to play sports and do MA and stuff, I could say in confidence that I was more fit than everyone that I knew, with the exception of my one cousin(who happens to be the person I base my standards on).

16. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I'm a lot stronger than average for my age-group and my cardio is about average. I could easily improve the latter with more discipline, I guess...

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm getting there. I have 2 biological children. Just need one more.

18. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

Quite the oxymoron.

19. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

I'm 188cm and about 81kg. I got a lot of my endurance and muscle mass from hockey, but I usually jog a lot, usually for 40 to 70 mins for five days a week.

20. draqon Banned Banned

sweet.

21. draqon Banned Banned

I love ice skating...but I cannot get into hockey...always time issues...got classes and such. o well, I can still dance beautifully on ice.

22. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

I do hockey and running simply because I'm not good at anything else in athletics. By the way, is ping-pong a sport?

23. draqon Banned Banned

noooo...

u silly

high speed bike racing at 30mph is a sport...and thats my sport.