How can we measure some noise?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by alexb123, Oct 1, 2007.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I want to buy a white noise machine but I need to know how loud it is because if it is too loud it will keep me awake.

I have contacted the supplyed and she doesn't know how loud it is but has said it is reasonably loud and that she doesnt know the exact sound output.

So my question is what sound could be used as a benchmark so that I can judge if I should buy this product?

For example the machine makes a similar noise to .........?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

A white noise machine, by it's very nature, must be loud enough to cover up, not drown out, the noise that's bothering you! If it doesn't, then it's useless.

And just so you know, most people can become accustomed to such noise within just a few days/nights. And loudness is not really the issue with the machine, but with what's going on outside your home. For example, a white noise machine would not drown out a violent war with bombs and artillery and explosions!

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I use earplugs.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    If you have a radio which can be placed in the same general area you want to put the white noise gizmo, try tuning it to someplace in the range of frequencies where there is nothing being broadcast - sort of "in between" stations, where you can only hear static. IMHO, it's basically the same thing as "white noise".
    I do this to cancel out the effects of tinnitus when I sleep. When it's dead quiet, the ringing in my ears sounds like goddam whistling death.

I imagine the white noise thingy must have a volume control, for whatever that's worth - but I know my radio does...
    LoL

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Use decibels. Radio Shack probably has a small meter you can use.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I just remembered ....sometimes, especially on weekends, the neighbor, the one I'm going to shoot one of these days, usually has a little party with lots of yelling and laughing. To counter that noise, I just turn my furnace/ac fan on and that's enough to block out most, if not all of the noise.

Which is exactly what a white noise machine does. As does the radio static staion.

Baron Max

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    During the Winter months I switch over to a portable humidifier in the bedroom. It's a bit too loud to be ideal, but it does work.

11. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the replys. I did try an A/C machine but that was a little too loud on low setting, I then got a portable radio but that would every now and then make a crackle noise that would also wake me up.

However looking at all the options rather than spending £50 on this machine I might as well buy a better quality radio, which I am sure would work out cheaper anyway.

Cheers for helping me see the common sense option here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just get a CD of pink noise, digitally generated white noise. That's what my friend uses. Just put it on your stereo and adjust to any volume.