Just to Clear Something Up

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Reiku, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Ok... How many people here believe that when the ice melts in Greenland and the south poles, the water will rise?
    This seems to be an incorrect statement, as i found out.

If you take a glass of water that is [nearly] full, with several icecubes in the glass, the cubes will melt, and the water will not go over the glasses edge. Now, just picture the earth as a glass of water with ice cubes in it. If the cubes melt, will the water level rise?

I asked the same question to an expert just last week, and he agrees, it is a farce this whole water-rising malarky.

Reiku :m:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

but what if you have something solid inside the glass, resting at the bottom, but that goes over the level of the water, and this solid thing is holding another icecube, and this icecube is melting into the glass?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

Thats another situation.
    I was referring to ice that was displaced in water, not land.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

One small problem with your scenario.
    The ice on Greenland and Antarctica are not floating on the water. They are resting on land and when they melt they will raise sea level.

It's the arctic ice that will not contribute to rising sea levels although it still spells doom for various ecosystems and likely will cause havoc in the weather.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

But their volume is submerged by water. The real problem would be ice that does not have a volume in water.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

It is as if i carefully iced a cube on top of a pole inside a glass of water, but making sure that the ice is submerged with only its surface touching air... the water still would not rise.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, most of the ice in Greenland and Antarctica is not submerged, but resting on top of the land. It won't melt all at once.

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

that is the situation in case, though... greenland and the south pole, as invert nexus pointed out

12. Reiku Banned Banned

From this discription, the ice is above the water...???
    That's not true.

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

well, most of it

or am I wrong?

( i have no idea

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

14. Reiku Banned Banned

There is land. I do not deny this, but this land is far below the ice, and the ice is also under the water.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Hardly! There is PLENTY of ice above the water. And that, along with the glaciers is more than enough to raise sea level considerably if it melts. Your argument is flawed as is your understanding of where much of the ice is located. Why not look at some pictures of the areas themselves and SEE where a lot of the ice really is?

16. John99 Banned Banned

The fact that these objects are in the water is enough to displace the current water level. If that is right there will still be some problems. It is kind of hard to totally agree with long term weather predicitions, we can have a long period of colder than normal weather. The main reason is because records have not been kept long enough to support long term predictions.

17. Bells Staff Member

Oh?

Link

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That last statement is, in essence, incorrect. Through the use of analyzing ice core samples, we've got weather records that go back for THOUSANDS of years!

And as Fraggle pointed out in another thread, even the insurance companies have come to realize there is something solid about the climate changing. And those people don't take things like that lightly at all. It's a very serious matter of business for them.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

Well, i suppose we will all find out eventually. I don't think we will stop global warming. There is as well the theoryy that global warming is natural...

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Of course ice peaks out of the water. I wasn't reffering to this. I am, in blunt sense saying that most of the ice is in water.

21. Bells Staff Member

You do realise Antarctica is a continent, in that it is a large land mass covered, for the most part, in ice?

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And just about everyone here is bluntly telling you that there is FAR more ice above water than you realize. Contrary to the title of your thread, you aren't "clearing something up." In fact you are muddling it up by introducing distortions of the truth. Gross error. Please, please go and do some basic research on the topic - you have a lot to learn here!

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

reiku;

yes some of it is in the water, but if we were to melt all the ice in antartica, then 29,212,682 km cubed of ice would be displaced as water. still think that would have no impact on sea levels? imagine if an area of ocean the size of antarctica was raised by 2km; that is what we are talking about here.