Funny physics?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jumpjack, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jumpjack Registered Member

I found this "jokes"... but english is not my native language, so I can't fully understand them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I get only last one. First two are definitely a mistery!

Any help? :shrug:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

For the first one "communtativity" is a mathematical concept that means you can switch the order of terms in a mathematical expression without changing the value of that expression. For example 3 x 4 = 4 x 3 (=12). It doesn't matter which comes first. Heisenberg operators (mathematical concepts) aren't comutative (in the mathematical sense) hence they do not "commute."

"Commute" also means to travel from one place to another and people who travel a long distance to work are said to "commute" in everyday language, especially those people who travel from the suburbs.

As for the second joke, there are many jokes that start with "what do you get when you cross" (for example "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? A: Someone who stays up all night wondering if there is a Dog"). "Cross" in that context means that you hybridize the things on question and combine them into a single entity.

Mathematically "cross" also suggests a "cross product" of two vectors (in three-dimensional space). In that context, where you have two vectors a and b in three-dimensional space, |a x b| = ab sin (theta). So, if you have two vectors called pig and rat in 3-space and you "cross" them, the answer you get is (pig) * (rat)* sin (theta).

So, in both jokes, the joke (and I use that term loosely) is that if confuses an everday meaning of a word (commute and cross) with a technical, mathematical meaning of the same terms.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peta9 Registered Senior Member

adorable jokes

8. jumpjack Registered Member

thanks for explanation.
    unfortunately, no way to translate them into my language!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'll have to invent my ones...