A Jewish Holiday Worth Borrowing

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Fraggle Rocker, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many Jewish "holidays" are true "holy days" in the original meaning of the word. They haven't been turned into orgies of beer and football like so many of ours have. I've been told that Yom Kippur ("Day of Atonement") is the holiest of all holy days. When it falls on the Sabbath, as it did yesterday, it becomes the holiest of Sabbaths.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of religion and even though I'm no fan of football either, I still prefer our holiday system. You can always find something else to do at a really good orgy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But this totally secular explanation of Yom Kippur, by a professional writer, was very thought-provoking.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

converting us to Judaism...heh...no thanks

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Better to be in Congress.

Each year the congressional leadership is responsible for setting Congress' legislative calendar, and this year that calendar will be tightly packed with the smorgasbord of issues Congress must tackle in the coming months. The legislative work Congress fails to finish, however, may be what makes headlines in 2006. This year boasts the fewest legislative days for Congress in twenty years, and this compressed election-year schedule is sure to make finishing appropriations bills before the end of the fiscal year on Oct. 1, a task lawmakers find difficult even with more ample time, next to impossible.

In 2006, the leadership has decided to devote 72 days, or a little over two months, to official legislative business. When Mondays and Fridays are included in this total (voting generally only takes place Tuesday through Thursday), this number rises to 125 days. Since 1985, Congress has allocated an average of 152 days per session (including Mondays and Fridays) to legislative work.

Featured high on the list of reasons for this year's limited schedule are the upcoming midterm election and the accompanying pressure on lawmakers to hit the campaign trail early and often. Yet, in previous election years, Congress allocated significantly more time to legislative work than it has for 2006. In 2002, for example, Congress was in session for 149 days, and in 2000 lawmakers clocked 141 days.

http://wzpo.ask.com/r?t=p&d=mys&s=a....org/article/articleview/3272/1/248?TopicID=1

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You can't do that. The only way to surely become a jew is to be born of a yewish mother.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, they permit converts. They just don't go after them aggressively the way the Christians and Muslims do, because their religion does not have an imperative for evangelism. That's why most Jews have Jewish parents. But it's not too terribly rare for a person to "convert" to Judaism in the process of marrying a Jewish spouse. It's more unusual for it to be done for any other reason, although the medieval Khazarians did it for reasons that were probably political although we may never know for sure. If you marry in, depending on which congregation you join, you may be expected to walk the talk. Learn Hebrew, recite the Torah, understand what the holidays mean, etc. In others all you may have to do is like matzo ball soup. ^_^

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

untrue. im a turkish/french american with zero ties to hebrew heritage. i converted back in 2000.
    self taught myself hebrew, learned the scriptures..the whole shebang.
    it is difficult, even actively discouraged by jewish temple leadership. this is because judaism isnt "religion lite". if you dont take spiritual development seriously, they will weed you out.
    funny enough, its actually the natural born jews who usually neglect their religion.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Oh, ok, but weren't the chosen people of God supposed to belong to specific tribes?
    I.e., God chose Israelites or whatever as their favourite sheep.
    Is there a special ritual to enter the jew club?

11. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Strangely enough, the 'chosen people' phrase is usually emphasised more by antisemites than by Jews themselves. They say the biblical story of Ruth is meant to show that origin doesn't matter so much as desire to serve God (according to Jewish law, of course). Ruth herself was a Moabite (i.e. non-Israelite) who joined the Jewish faith, but her descendants include the biblical king David, and the messiah.

It depends whether you're interested in orthodox or reform Judaism. Joining the reform jew club (the majority branch in the USA) probably isn't much more difficult than joining the muslim, christian or buddhist clubs. The orthodox Jewish authorities don't recognise reform conversions, though.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wow..isn't Hebrew one of the hardest languages to learn? Pretty impressive.

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

eh..difficult, but i spent months applying myself to ONLY that. i literally bought enough groceries, cigarettes, and other smokables to last the 3 months i spent in one room, reading and learning.
    all said, it cost me around 1200 dollars to learn hebrew.

14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the idea of a "chosen people" in the sense that it is usually thought of (superiority or favoritism from g-d) is actually quite silly.
    jews originally thought of themselves as teachers, not rulers. this is what the "chosen people" phrase references. it implies a burden placed on the jews to teach the rest of the world, not rule it. zionists, nazis, and pretty much anyone that cant read the torah in hebrew misinterpret the phrase to be one of kingship, rather than scholastics. *shrug*

yeah, i suppose so. nothing too homoerotic though.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I disagree with the basic sentiments of this holiday. If you aren't aware of what you are doing at the time, what's the point of second-guessing yourself later? That is not the way to enlightenment. There is nothing to atone for and nothing that can grant atonement.

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

youve made a fundamental judgement about the holiday from an atheist point of view. this cant be done if you want to understand why jews celebrate it.

youve basically said "there is no g-d" here. that is best for a different thread, when the discussion is about the merits of a particular holiday.

as for the beginning of your post, i can understand why you say it...but jews tend to disagree.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So as to be aware of what you are doing next time? Just a thought - - - .

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

A similar content, but formulated in a much more constructive way, can frequently be found in various approaches to human productivity and how to improve it.

For example, from David Allen's Getting Things Done - here from the notes on Minezone.org:

Or a discussion on why we resist the weekly review and plan and what we can do about it at a blog and its summary at Lifehack.org:

19. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Having studied it, I don't think so. Certainly much easier than Chinese and other Eastern languages. Hebrew uses 32 letters, not thousands of ideograms, and grammar is based on modifying the words, not the tone. Actually, I found Hebrew easier to learn than French. Fewer rules.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Have you tried to learn Chinese? I found it refreshingly easy. It has no "noise words" like articles and prepositions, and no inflections. It's not much of an exaggeration to say it has no grammar to study. In addition, since because of the lack of inflections and noise words it has a lower syllable count to express a thought than most languages, it's usually spoken rather slowly, making it easy to pick out the words you know.
    Yes, written Chinese is a monster, but you can be sure they will change that, perhaps in your lifetime, now that Mandarin has become universal and they don't need the logograms to unite the speakers of the various Chinese languages.
    Tone is not a grammatical element in Chinese. It's just an extra phoneme in the words, which allows them to be shorter. There is typically no relationship at all between two words that are identical except for tone.
    Oh, French is impossible! But if you want a language with no rules, learn Chinese.

21. Letticia Registered Senior Member

No, I never studied Chinese. Maybe some day I will have enough free time to study it (yeah, right!).

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's not second-guessing yourself - it is learning from your mistakes through reflection and introspection when you have a perspective from hindsight.
    In this way, you can be more mindful and aware in the future - the two work hand in hand on a path towqrd enlightenment.

23. chuuush Registered Senior Member

So what do you say about these: "The Jews are called human beings, but the non-Jews are not humans. They are beasts."
    Talmud: Baba mezia, 114b

http://www.missionislam.com/nwo/talmud.htm