Football or Football?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Borsviek, Sep 22, 2007.

?

Football or Football

1. American football is the best

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Football is the best

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both FIFA and NFL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I only watch the tournaments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

The one question that has bothered me for some time. American Football or Football. What is your favourite?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I like both, but I don't watch the NFL. It's like they score a goal, commercials for 10 minutes, then they come back for a 30 second punt, then ten more minutes of commercials. For every second of action there is a minute of wait. Four hours is too long to waste.

However, in terms of athletic caliber of players, the NFL is very good.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

Waaaaaatt?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

The correct answer is basketball.

9. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

Basketball is fun to watch along with hockey.

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

American football's for women. All American sports are for women. American
    football's just rugby plus excess adverts plus little girl's clothing.

Give blood. Play rugby.

11. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

I suppose I should have included Rugby in my poll.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

There's Australian football too.
    Any way isn't rugby the same thing as American football?

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Nah. There are similarities but there are far too many breaks in American football - in most US sports, in fact - for someone with my attention span. There also seem to be far too many rules and regulations, which impede game flow. American football's a stuttering jalopy compared to rugby's well-oiled engine.

And there's the small matter of the little girl's clothing, of course.

Videos for the uninitiated:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/100338/rugby_tries/
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/135018/rugbys_biggest_hits/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Oh ok.
    I've only seen football any way,
    rugby and that American thing only in some films.

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

play rugby: be a man!!

16. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

No plays and no time-outs, just all-out action packed violence. I like it!

17. vslayer Registered Senior Member

aussie rules is just a more violent adaptation of rugby, its barely related to yankball at all. also, rugby is not the same as yankball; i cant really explain it, but the rugby world cup is on at the moment, im sure its on tv in at least one pub in latvia

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I would think that it depends where you are located. In many countries only one type or another is shown on the sports network as I have seen on holiday visiting many countries and watching some TV there. Since American fans are used to seeing only American style football then they would tend to want to watch their type of football more. I've watched them all from time to time and really don't see much differences OVERALL. Men trying to hurt, hit, produce injuries and even knock out the opponent is the basic thrust of all of them. Mayhem and blood, beer and food, yep that's what they are all mostly about.

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Spoken like a true non-sports fan, or someone who hasn't got the faintest idea what he's talking about.

That's not what football (soccer to you) is about at all. Football - I'll continue using the proper terms - is about putting the ball in your opponents net with, ideally, as much speed, grace and guile as possible. Violence is discouraged - though the best games are often the ones where tempers are starting to fray and the tackles start flying in. Substitute grace and skill for the passion, though, and it's usually just as good.

Australasians and we Europeans seem to have a different attitude towards sport than the typical American. For us it's much more tribal (yes, this is where the hooliganism comes from). Americans seem to treat their games as pure entertainment - a beer, a 'dog' and the game - and it's an attitude that's encouraged by the stop-start nature of most American sports. It's almost as if they've been designed by admen in order to sell stuff. The popular European and Australasian sports aren't like this at all. Typically, they're two halves of 40-45 minutes and, once a half starts, you do not move from your seat until the half is over. Have a beer if you're not actually at the match, by all means, but attempting to shout whilst drinking is generally considered bad form. Have a burger or something too, if you must, but realise that the food and drink is purely incidental. If you're there, you're there to watch the game. Talk if you must, but make sure your conversation/exclamations are about current events on the pitch, otherwise no-one will pay you much attention (persistent chatter may even result in people being rude to you). As with any other religious ceremony, show the proper amounts of respect, awe and passion and, for God's sake, don't get the words to the hymns wrong.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I went to a soccer match once and fights started breaking out in the stands! A great sport I guess if you are up to defending yourself while trying to enjoy the sport.

21. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Ha ha. Can you tell me when that was and, ideally, which teams were playing (or, failing that, approximate geographical location)? Football has cleaned up it's act in the wake of a couple of disasters in the 1980s: 96 killed in the crush that resulted from a fire started by a match dropped through the floor of a wooden stand, leading to modern, all-seater stadia; 39 killed when a wall collapsed as a result of hooliganism, leading to a cleanup of the associated violence, and a much more family-oriented atmosphere. Football violence still occurs but it's largely gone underground and not something that the typical fan witnesses these days. Those who want to fight usually do so at pre-arranged meets held far from the stadia.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've also been to American football and the drunk fans there start fights also so don't feel that your sport is the only one with fighting in the stands. It seems wherever there's alcohol there's problems.

I guess now I have to watch where I walk coming to a soccer match if you say the hooligans are only on the outside causing problems.

23. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

No, as I said they lurk far from the grounds and the usual fan routes these days. With the introduction of all-seater stadia and proper segregation, fights inside the stadia are extremely rare, almost non-existent. The old image of the British game no longer applies domestically - by far the largest proportion of the trouble these days happens on trips abroad, where fans get in the holiday mood, gather in large, drunken crowds and feel that they can get away with more.