Aimless

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by original, Sep 20, 2007.

1. original sine Registered Senior Member

Ever since middle school I have been stumbling through life like a drunk: aimless, inefficient, and with blurred vision. A general sense of movement takes place but each step is poorly timed and I have this feeling like I will shortly fall flat on my face. Before middle school I excelled in academic pursuits. I enjoyed them, and I always wanted another challenge. Ever since middle school my attitude has changed... I loathed the classroom, I groaned when I opened a textbook, procrastinating and sometimes never completing my assignments. This problem has presented itself through my first few years of college. My academic progress has suffered tremendously. In a two-year school I'm approaching the fourth. I don't have a degree or a particular field of study, and at this rate I will only keep stumbling.

I have ideas as to why this happened. That's not the issue I'm writing about. I want to recover. I want to move toward a destination with confidence and without fail. I have been giving myself headaches trying to figure out what field of study to pursue. Why am I writing about this? Good question... I guess I could use some advice. I'm planning on talking with some counselors at the college in a few weeks, but until then I'm still aimless and I'm tired of it.

Thanks for reading.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Good idea.

Seeking advice from those who can be of help because they know where your at really is the first step in understanding what to do.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. desi Valued Senior Member

Not having to make decisions can do that to a man.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Take some time out from studies and do something else. Join the Army, fight a few wars, shoot at people, kill some people, see some of the rest of the world, .......

Not everyone is cut out for the academic life or, for that matter, even white-collar careers. The world needs good welders, carpenters, garbage collectors, sewer workers, ............ Try one of those and see how much you like it.

Baron Max

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

A rare moment of lucidity from the Baron there.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What?! No! I was fully dressed when I typed that message!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

academic life sucks anyway. They are all bloody leeches.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, Spurious, not "all" of them!

Baron Max

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Well, a few get leeched. But they never surface to top of the pond.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How about the Peace Corp? Or do you have to have graduated from college to join?

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

let him do something useful instead.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I went through something similar when I was in university in India, I think what really helped me was changing my entire situation, moving abroad to a place where I did not know anything, not even the language. I second the Baron's advice; leave what you are doing and do something entirely different. Move to a different country, work at a physically exhausting job.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

My life also dramatically improved by leaving all behind what I knew. Not at first, but soon.

17. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

I hated middle school too.

18. Borsviek ****** Registered Senior Member

High school was the best!

19. superstring01 Moderator

I recommend follwoing Baron's, SAM's, and Spurious's advice as well. Between the age of 19 and 21 I wandered Europe, North Africa and Central America working and engaging in some institutional education.

I find (and I'm sure you will too) that whatever you want in life, you will never look back with regret at the eye-opening time you spend in another nation, with another culture.

I suggest applying for a visa.
    Saving a few dollars.
    Giving half that money to your parents to hold in an emergency trust for you (you can't imagine the trouble you can get into in some countries... erm.... um... I've heard).
    Find a good place that is stable, that needs workers and pay them a visit for a spell.

~String

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I prefer physical labor over mental work. Academics bore me, but I can get away when doing something physical like construction, lifting, etc

21. original sine Registered Senior Member

Thanks for your responses thus far. I would like to leave this place for somewhere new. That thought was in my mind before I even started this topic. The main concern is practicality. How could someone with an empty wallet afford it? I know I'll get a job when I get there, but I'll still need a place to live and money for necessities, not to mention the travel expenses.

22. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

how old are you anyway?

23. Tnerb Banned Banned

he's 21 i think.