does the fashion industry promote eating disorders?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Atom, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Atom Registered Senior Member

God knows..I'm a bloke.

Really I'm sceptical of all this girl see's model and wants to be ...

Why does she want to be??

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I'm skeptical too.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

not sure they do promote eating dinosaurs

8. Atom Registered Senior Member

wtf an american.

Err..a size zero.

..hey can ANYONE tell how to become a size nothing?

<< sse my astrology thread on theory of nothing at all >>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

they dont directly promote eating dissorders, but they do promote being an unhealthy weight and size. the fashion industry and media alike are both responsible for girls wanting to be too stick thin.

but the real problem is society, most people just add to the problem and give this kind of thing a market. surveys suggest that most men are not even attracted to size zero models, men like a bit of meat on a women. its women who think that it is attractive. but if your going to listen to media bullshit and follow fashion like a sheep, then i have no sympathy for people who become ill or die for the sake of fashion. what these girls (and all girls) need to do, is eat a decent amount of good food every day, get regular exersize and drink enough water. women nowdays think you can starve yourself and shove on some designer clothes and you will look like the girls in the media. which is nonesense and madness, firstly those girls are not healthy which is not attractive to most men according to scientific study and surveys, (not to mention personal opinions). women nowdays are deluded into think men look at them as attractive. curves are attractive, not skin and bones.

but you cant blame the fashion industry and media alone, they play a part in it but its the parents fault and the shallow persons. if people were not so shallow and caught up with looking good to others they would not be lead astray so easily. i read an article a few weeks ago that showed a survey on young women and teens would listen to what the media and magazines say rather than a scientist or doctor. now thats actualy worrying, role models for young women nowdays are stupid, a bunch of bratty celebs and stick thin models. its all been going down hill since twiggy.

peace.

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Well if they do promote it they do a terrible job being as how obesity is a huge problem in america

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the obese people usualy hold alot of pent up anger seeing pretty little skinny girls, i have had obese women crying when i am training them, blabbering about how pretty the skinny girls in the magazine are, and how they just want to look good. alot of obese people care about their health ofcourse. but the young ones who used to come to me were mostly concerned about getting thin because of how they look on the outside, not because of how unhealthy they are on the inside.

trust me obese people care just as much about looks as regular sized people do. except they are already fat and it makes them depressed and sends them into more "comfort eating". i actualy quit training obese women because i was sick of hearing the term "comfort eating", seriously im not being horrible or anything, but obese women fucking cry alot and talk alot of crap instead of actualy training. i had enough of it, no word of a lie 90% of obese women spent more time talking bullshit then doing what i was telling them too. i always used to hear "but its too hard why is it so hard" or "do i really have to do that many reps" (5-10). i have heard it all, including this golden one i will never forget. "i cant even do a single pull-up, i bet a skinny girl could" and i was honest and told her the truth, "yeah because they dont weight over 18 stone".

trust me obese people care just as much about magazines and skinny models, except usualy, instead of not eating and being unhealthy. they stuff more food down their throats and call it comfort eating and moan about how fat they are.

i really do not understand comfort eating and it annoys me even hearing the term lol. i always say dont keep eating so much and you wont be that fat. and they say they cant help it, and i tell them i cannot teach you self control, then they say its my fault for not giving them some kind of drug to combat the over eating, seriously i have been accused of that before. i dont like training very obese people in general. they pay for the lessons, and then fucking moan like babies through the entire session.

anyway i have ranted far more than needed. im shutting up now.

peace.

12. Atom Registered Senior Member

What happened?

13. Atom Registered Senior Member

I can understand how the Rubenesque form wad most desired in the past..apparently it meant that this was a well fed, rich woman who would make a good child bearer.

Okay I've got that.

Not how on earth did we get from Marilyn Monroe (size 16) to Size Zero Models...I dont get it somehow.

Yes they are walking clother hangers but the guys seem to npw prefer the skinny celeb rather than the curvy shapely one.

So what happened?

14. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I agree, my sister is obese and she always whines about wanting to be thin, but then just keeps eating. She went on a diet once and lost 22 pounds, but then said it was too hard and shed never be thin so she just keeps whining and eating. I cant stand pitty parties nor can I stand when someone gives up half way through something because its hard.

15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I cant stand those skinny ass twigs

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes they do imo because these models are stick thin young girls see these women every day in glossy magazines and they want to be like them, many of the girls who have anorexia want to be like the top model of that time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cultural factors that emphasize thinness as part of the ideal appearance of women, an image reinforced by advertising and mass media, create a pervasive dissatisfaction in women about their bodies. On the one hand, magazines and televisions are filled with advertisements for fast food and junk food. On the other hand, those same magazines and televisions inundate us with images of the “super-thin” super model, movie star, television star, or rock star. Consequently, girls often have an unhealthy or inaccurate opinion about their bodies. Feeling pressure to be thin increases the likelihood of binge eating and bulimic symptoms. Certain personality traits have been considered as risk factors for developing an eating disorder. Perfectionism is the one most often linked to “a relentless pursuit of the thin ideal”.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

what happened is, men want they're women to be thinner all the time, (ok not all men just some) women are being forced to be think by husbands, boy friends, magazines, television, and it doesnt help when a super thin model wants to be even thinner

18. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

I think what many people forget is that creating and designing fashion is time consuming, that's why it is practical to use smaller sized women. If a fashion designer designed and made a colllection for average-sized women, it would probably take ages. And let's be honest, haute couture only looks good on stick thin women.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

how do you know until you have seen it on the bigger more fuller woman

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

In Canada there is a long waiting list for plastic surgery. There is such
    a demand now. They say it really boomed after those shows THE SWAN
    and Extreme Makeover.

My neighbour works at the hospital. She says there are 2 doctors there
    that do nothing but Breast implants all day long. At this rate there
    will be very few women with real breasts anymore.

Its funny how these women are stick thin but have "D" breasts.
    What I have seen though men fall over it.

I agree Lucifer....."what happened is men"

21. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

Well i would be all for it, unfortunately i don't think the average woman or bigger can do haute couture or maybe i have just been listening to janice Dickenson too much. Hopefully its the latter

22. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Thats bullshit, not all men hold these views, what happened is the media, vanity, and a loss of self respect.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think Holly wood has a bigger impact than models and magazines.