LAN address

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by KPADDLER, Apr 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPADDLER Registered Member

I'm luckey, I like my job, but I usually have alot of free time on my hands, so I brought in my laptop so I could surf and get payed, and not bother the company's equipment to much, Problem is they use a LAN, or at least I think it's a LAN conection, but they have their address blocked out so I can't set up my machine to connect to the internet. Does any-one know how to find out the address? (without getting to cozy with the computer techie) I Don't want to hack my office, like I said, I like my job. but it would sure help me pass the time. thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Your office comp should have all the data of IP's and possibly GATEWAYS within your LAN system.
    If your using a windows system you should check out NETWORK in your CONTROL PANEL, and look up TCP/IP for your LAN card.

Once you click that and look, you should find a bunch of TAB's, and perhaps open to IP address.
    In IP address, you should find the IP number assigned to that machine and the subnetmask.

Now you could clone that IP address, but it would mean your office machine won't be able to connect while your connecting.

what you really need to do is assign an IP within the ZONE RANGE and keep to the same SUBNET MASK.

so if your company machine says:

IP: 169.254.0.32
    SubMask: 255.255.255.0

You should try finding out what other IPs are in your network (keep the subnet mask).

Don't forget to note your offices machine of DNS, GATEWAY and WINS. they too will help you know how your system is set. Infact if your lucky you might find that you get a dynamically assigned IP if the IP ADDRESS tab was empty.

You could try from your office machine a PING to IP numbers within your RANGE, to try and find an empty one.

just open a dos box, or use RUN from Start bar, and PING 169.254.0.43 etc change the last number to check for other numbers on the network)

If you find a machine, it will get a response from the ping, if not it will timeout.

There is possibly a way of writing a BATCH script for running a multiple ping throughout the address range. (but that takes a little time and perseverance to set up)

Best option:
    If your really crafty why not ask your Boss, or better still the Tech guy that has to run round and keep track of the computers. If he knows that you want to connect to the network, he's more likely to set it up for you than have you accidentally do something to insecure it.

Edit:

Nearly forgot, don't forget to lookup the Network Neighbourhood name, as if your system doesn't have the same network name it won't show up properly or not at all.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2002
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KPADDLER Registered Member

Thank you for the info, I did manage to get all the adresses, and such like you said, but I still had no luck in logging on. A friend says that I might not be able to join because they have a web domain-????? what ever that is, Computers are like cars to me, I just drive em' can't fix em'.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.