Self harm:

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Sep 17, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I'm trieng to get my head around why people Self Harm, i cant see a decent enough reason for it, i cant see why people would cut themselves with whatever they can get they're hands on,

some kids my daughter knows, who self harm say that it helps them cope with life, if its that bad shouldnt they be seeing a doctor to get some help?

so what i am asking is, why do you think kids self harm?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

We "rescued" Bruce our dog from a crack whore/self slicer. When he is bad I threaten to "take back to the crack whore, Bruce?". I swear to god my dog knows more english than your average east-european/indian/asian immigrant.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Because they feel numb. No joy, no anger...nothing. They cut to make sure they are still alive. To show themselves that they are still there.

Is a plastic surgery addict a self-harmer?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

am i a self harmer for punching hard objects? or for enjoying the pain from martial arts training?. i like some kinds of pain, i like testing howmuch pain i can take. i dont like the pain of being stabbed that does not feel good. but sometimes when i get punched in the face i like it, it makes me smile.

stumping my toe on a door or radiator is bad though, i mean punching hard things and all of the training aside, they are ok, but stumping my toe i hate that it makes me want to cry sometimes.

PS, kids harm themselves for lots of reasons, i noticed its mostly for attention though.

peace.

8. draqon Banned Banned

pain causes more physical reality which overshadows the psychological distress. So thoughts are of this physical pain, instead of psychological pain.

cut yourself with a blade and that pain will echo all thoughout the body, it will cry out and awaken you from the depressed state of mind, it will beg you to take notice of it, taking away the mind from that which bothered you psychologically.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Is that to say that you can see a decent reason for, say, murder, violent rape, genocide, ....., and any of hundreds of things that humans do?

I just read a novel with self-harm as part of it. Yeah, it was fiction, but it brought up some good points ...the pain inflicted was done to keep them from thinking about other things that bothered them. In other words, it was used as a diversion when they wanted to do something bad or hurtful or ...whatever. Kept their minds off of their other problems.

Baron Max

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

It can merely be an addiction, like smoking or drinking. The person most likely doesn't care that it causes them 'harm', or desires it to harm them. I've known many people get tattoos and piercings just for the pain - What's so different between that and cutting?
    I've known many people go through this, probably far more people than you're even aware of experience depression and the things that go with it. What makes you think a doctor can help? Or is the best idea just to pump them full of pills?
    What makes you think it's just kids? Last time I checked depression doesn't have an age where you just grow out of it.

You already answered your own question - It helps people cope.
    It's like asking why some people go on a constant cleaning spree after someone close dies. Psychological.

11. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Possibly, depends on their reasons. They certainly would share a lot in common. Mostly just damned ugly though.

12. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

Micheal Jackson???? I agree with Orleander. It's also self hatred. It's not as serious as self harming, But does anyone else when they are slightly depressed and mega distraught go nuts on themselves???? like pulling their hair out or punching themselves.

I had a friend who would harm herself with pills, whenever she was depressed or angry, she would take an mini overdose.

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I have been so angry that I have punched myself before. However most teens who are cutters are just doing it for attention or to fit in. My friends sister went through a whole emo phase where she was cutting her hands, its was jsut a phase. Although people who do it for long periods of time are in need of some psychological help.

14. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

exactly

most people who self harm for attention do it in obvious places like the back of the hand or forearms, people who have a serious problem usually stick to less seen places, like the inner thigh or stomach

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes i know that thx, sherlock, but it is mainly teenagers that self harm, it has becomme a fashion thing to have scars on your arms or whatever part of your body they decide to cut.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i've got piercings and tattoos and yes i enjoyed the pain of having them done, moreso the tattoos than the piercings, and the differance being, mostly adults get tattoos and not school kids with just a fascination to cut themselfs, i can't see why people would want to harm themselves i personally think its purile and stupid to cut yourself,

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

If you listened to Emo, you'd want to cut yourself too.

I'm just glad that they're no longer making goth look bad.

emptyforceofchi:
    I think it would depend on how you use pain. Side effects, or self-testing, is different from attention whoring. We're such an attention-whoring culture, it's not surprising.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i listen to Emo music and i dont cut myself? so perhaps if you've got a weak personality you're more at risk of cutting?

20. Xev Registered Senior Member

I'm being facetious because I can't stand the stuff, both the talking/screaming/singing (CHOOSE one!) and the lyrical style (I saw a flower/A girl was mean to me/I am sad).

Possibly. But I'll smoke when I'm annoyed; other than the potential attention-whoring and the scars, is that so much better?

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no its not, i am having a hard time trying to understand why people will hurt themselves!

22. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Most people under stress will exhibit some type of self destructive behavior. Getting a tattoo is viewed by some to be in the same realm as cutting

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

like i said already i have tattoos and various piercings and i enjoyed having them, but it wasnt somthing i had done has a fashion idea!