Consumerism is Absurd

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Yonescoh, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Yonescoh Registered Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Because we want to, we can, and we don't give a shit about all those starving people.

If you care so damned much, then why are you not using the money you spent on your computer and Internet connection to come here and complain about the rest of us?

Obviously others don't think so. Or are you trying to be the conscience of all of everyone on Earth?

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yonescoh Registered Member

Hello Mr. Baron,

Maybe not everyone. But a lot of people do.

I can make a difference. If enough people read it, of course. Which is the little caveat I have to work on....

Why not stand out from the crowd?

Feel free to comment in my blog, chap...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yonescoh Registered Member

Did you watch the clip, by the way?

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You know what? Your question/complaint is very, very old!! And so is the answer to it. Many of us ARE doing something about the people who are starving. But the rest of our money is ours - to spend as we see see fit. We worked hard to earn it and will certainly do with it as we want.

And I, for one - and there are many who feel exactly as I do - have grown very weary of some self-appointed Saviour coming along ever so often and criticizing us about it.

So just do YOUR part and beyond that, mind your own business!

9. Yonescoh Registered Member

It's not that simple. You see... a lot of people help, which is great. But the people who have the most could help a whole lot and they don't. Plus, while we work hard for our money, some things that we buy are just plain superfluous to a ridiculous degree.

Regardless, this is just my opinion.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, and I agree with it to a very large degree. My point, however, that by introducing it to the public (yet another wearysome time!) accomplishes nothing at all. In fact, it will actually turn many AGAINST what you want them to do. It could be directly compared to a nagging wife - the results are the exact opposite of what she wants, too.

11. Yonescoh Registered Member

Huuuummm.... that example really helped me see what you mean.
    How would you rephrase it, then?

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Even if we were to give everything we had to the poorest countries, it wouldn't help them for long. The wealth would be immediately stolen by the same kleptocratic governments that keep them in poverty in the first place. So stop trying to make us feel guilty for suffering caused by others.

About the only thing we could do to really help out those poor countries would be to invade them and impose a rational government. But as Iraq has shown us, that's really a pain in the ass and the liberal do-gooders don't support that strategy.

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't know. I DO fully agree with your opinion, strongly, in fact. It's just that we've been hit with it so many times that much of the public have become jaded and many others to the point that they actually find it offensive.

I believe that charities are a good thing and I contribute to several of them regularly (I'm highly selective though).

It's just that by holding out that empty hand so MUCH and so OFTEN that it really has become like my nagging wife example. A tremendous number of people quickly turn away. They feel like they are being persecuted and hounded.

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

my main complain is looking at a garage of a 4 people family having 4 cars, and then I take the bus and look out the window in a traffic jam and every car only has one person inside
    can we really spare that much resource, space, oil, time, cause that much enviroment damage, just because we can afford it?

15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Now that is absurd.

16. Yonescoh Registered Member

Oh yes... the cleptocratic governments....

I suppose you are talking about OUR country...

I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty. If you feel guilty, you should look within yourself and ask whether you have anything to do with this or not.

My purpose is to raise awareness.

I'm sure that was the intention of the "president" in question (if we could call that chap a "president")...

The problem is not their governments. Well, sometimes it is. But that's actually a minority.

17. Yonescoh Registered Member

If people gave to charities for the same reasons they buy goods for themselves, poverty would likely be history by now. There's more then enough for us, really. I don't know if I included this statistic or not (can't remember) but if 4% of the richest people's wealth was taxed from the rich and used to improve the situation of the poor, all the world's poverty-related problems could be solved. I'm talking about the 200 richest people. And they would likely not even feel any difference in terms of their wealth. Do you really think a single person can use 1 billion dollars without squandering it completely?

In other words... my target is the richest people.

Regardless of that, if we could use similar strategies for charities that we use for businesses, we would likely be able to come up with a solution that everyone in the world would be happy with.

18. Yonescoh Registered Member

Exactly! It's absurd!

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Ah yes. All hail the brave class warrior!

If you seized all the assets of those evil 200 richest people, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever to worldwide poverty. Try to send the money to the poor nations where it's needed. The same corrupt kleptocratic governments that keep those nations poor would steal the money before it ever got to the poor.

Taxation is not the solution to poverty, freedom is. In advocating the seizure of private property, you are contributing to the problem; not the solution.

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I can't wait for the revolution to tell you the truth. Mount the plow on the front of my jeep(after the .50 cal on a 360 mount - who needs fukin sunroof?), and ram all you shitty drivers right off the road.

21. Yonescoh Registered Member

First, the majority of nations would not do that. Second, that's not the way to create any change. Dumping money somewhere is too disorganized. One must be clever in the way they go about doing things, if one must change the world.

Who's advocating seizure. We can be smarter then that, can't we?

22. Yonescoh Registered Member

By the way, why does none of you chaps comment on my blog!?

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

First we'll kill those 200 really rich guys and spend all their money. Next, the next 200 really rich guys. And so on, and so on.

But it's OK. The end justifies the means! So long as we give some money to the poor, we can kill, rape, and pillage all we want!!! And, what the fuck, it's no big deal giving away money you've stolen in the first place. It's not like we had to work for it.