Thermodynamic equilibrium

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Kumar, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Hello,

When we mix some salt in water or some indissolvable substance say iron dust in water, how atoms or molecules of both will be changed in view of
    Thermodynamic equilibrium? Will they exchange energy with each other?

Best wishes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

A system that is in TE is one in which the heat leaving the system is exactly equal to the heat entering the system. What is your system?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

emachines AMD 1.8 Ghz sempron, 738 MB ram.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Do you mean to say, when water and NaCl OR water and iron dust(say in (90:10 ratio) is mixed, heat and motions of their atoms/molecules will not be effected and exchanged in view of TE?

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Not at all! The molecules of H[sub]2[/sub]O and the iron particles or Sodium Chloride molecules will definitely come to thermal equilibrium.

And eventually, the "mix" will come to thermal equilibrium with the container, which is part of the larger system.

What is the point of this anyway?

9. Kumar Registered Senior Member

As such, how motions of these will change in atoms or molecules on getting thermal equilibrium?

Motions can be depandant on heat. On above, I think, atoms can be partly exicited or relaxed.Ok? As such, whether any of three type of motions of electrons will change?

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

As already explained, thermal equlibrium will eventually be acheived over time throughout the solution, with the container holding it and eventually with the temperature of the air in the room - provided it remains stable.

There will be an initial adjustment of motion of all the atoms/molecules present if they are not already at the same temperature. Beyond that, the motions will not increase or decrease once the equilibrum has become established.

The motions of electrons will not be affected at all anytime throughout the entire process. There is insufficent energy present to excite (and certainly not "relax"!) any atoms.

Can you tell us PRECISELY where you are attempting to go with all this? It's very, very basic to say the least.

Edit: I just had a sinking realization that this may have something to do with your interest in homeopathy. If so, please tell us and I'll promptly excuse myself from the discussion - I have NO interest whatsoever in dealing with junk medicine or science.

11. Kumar Registered Senior Member

In this sense mixed substances will become somewhat different on TE?

How, can few exicite other remains same? Are there not other type of motions in atoms..i think..angular momentum? If there, can these be afftected on getting TE?

How it can be homeopathic when no molecule of one substance can be present(unless we say A+B=C and C+B=D..an so on and C,D,E....never become B even after all A is diluted out. A means active substance, B water.

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Angular momentum is a property of the molecules.

Yes, thats right, Homeopathy is bunk. The homeopaths usualy get around this by claiming that water has a memory. However the problem with this claim is that although some structures have been observed to exist in water even after that which formed the structure is gone, there is nothing to suggest this has anything to do with anything the water can do. Moreover, if water has a memory, why doesn'[t it remember the time it was passing through someone elses kidneys?