Does ecstasy lower your intelligence?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Just_Not_There, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

I've heard lots of horror stories concerning the use of ecstasy...how dangerous do you think it is? Do you think it can destroy your mind permanently?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

No.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

how are you so sure?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Because I'm not stupid enough to admit to chronic drug use.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Lack of any persuasive medical evidence also works.

8. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

well a google search seems to have some pretty damning evidence

none of it conclusive I suppose

But I guess I was hoping it won't be

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Google is a search engine, not an authority in itself.
    I think that long term heavy use would probably have a deletarious effect.
    No drug is safe, the word "intoxicate" means to take in toxins.

Take care, stay hydrated, be with someone you trust and PLUR.

10. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

good advice but I'm asking after rather than before. i've abused it a lot in my past...but it was years since I had done it last. Until last friday where I used it very heavily and for 3 days I've been out of sorts. I dunno I get paranoid about these things now that my life is in order and I wonder if I have done permanent damage doing it that one last time. Plus I really enjoyed it and want to do it again lol

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

You've got to factor in the lack of sleep and dehydration and emotional comedown of all that shit. "Someone I know" has been using for years and she hasn't noticed a change, but does feel foggy for a day or two. Is the comedown worse? DId you take more than you're used to?

I wouldn't worry too much, but see a doctor (make up some story, shit) if you don't start to notice a change. Send me a message if you want to talk more in specifics.

12. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

ok thanks for the advice. I will give it a couple more days. Maybe the paranoia is part of the process...but still I wonder if it does any long term damage to the brain

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

I know a lot of very smart people (like, graduate students at university, computer programmers, etc) who've been using for years, and like I say, the person-who-isn't-really-me hasn't noticed a change.

Puzzles can be good for the comedown, you know? Pretty simple ones, like with only a few hundred peices, but they help you get back in control. Some hiking to clear your head.

14. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

ok....lol....thanks i'll try that

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It can turn you into a bitch or an asshole.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There are some temporary side-effects, sometimes called "afterglow". I would stay away from any kind of regular use.

17. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

lol yeah it took me a while to work out who that someone-who-wasn't-you was lol...maybe I have done some damage

then again i'm pretty drunk right now as well

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

Don't worry, take it easy.

19. superstring01 Moderator

Over use of any intoxicating substance runs the risk of brain damage. That being said, there were nights when my tab consumption ran into the double-digits. Those were some... ah... interesting times. Needless to say you can see the result of intense grinding on my poor teath even 7 years hence.

Sometimes I think that I wanna roll just one more time. Then again... maybe not.

~String

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I don't know.. never tried it... But I do know that Adderall makes me feel smarter.

21. Beans Yee-Haw Registered Senior Member

Ecstasy= A state of mind in which an individual transcends normal consciousness.

Ecstasy can be based in a few ways, heroin, amphetamines, cocaine.

Heroin is an opiate drug made from the seeds of the opium poppy, Papaver somniferum. The opium poppy is a plant found in the Middle East, Southeast Asia and parts of Central and South America. To harvest opium, the seed pod of the poppy is cut and a juice flows out. The main ingredient that is extracted from raw opium is morphine.

Cocaine is from the plant called Erythroxylon coca, it is a local anesthetic and central nervous system stimulant. It can be taken by chewing on coca leaves, smoked, inhaled ("snorted") or injected. Cocaine and most powders dissolve easily in fat. Because of this property, cocaine has ready access to the brain because it can cross the blood brain barrier so easily.

Amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, methamphetamine, and their various salts, are collectively referred to as amphetamines. In fact, their chemical properties and actions are so similar that even experienced users have difficulty knowing which drug they have taken. Amphetamines are generally taken orally or injected. However, the addition of "ice," the slang name for crystallized methamphetamine hydrochloride, has promoted smoking as another mode of administration. Just as "crack" is smokable cocaine, "ice" is smokable methamphetamine. Methamphetamine, in all its forms, is highly addictive and toxic.

The effects of amphetamines, especially methamphetamine, are similar to cocaine, but their onset is slower and their duration is longer. In contrast to cocaine, which is quickly removed from the brain and is almost completely metabolized, amphetamines, methamphetamine remains in the central nervous system longer, and a larger percentage of the drug remains unchanged in the body, producing prolonged stimulant effects. Chronic abuse produces a psychosis that resembles schizophrenia and is characterized by paranoia, picking at the skin, preoccupation with one's own thoughts, and auditory and visual hallucinations. Laevoamphetamine (Benzedrine), dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine), and methamphetamine (Methedrine) are collectively referred to as amphetamines.

Before you use a drug I highly suggest reading up on it. Also make sure the quality is as it should be.

22. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

......the days of wearing goofy impractical pants that were entirely too big.

I used to grind my teeth alot too......along with talking/dancing nonstop LOL.
    I think one of the downsides of E is the peak feels really good, but when you start coming down a little bit, then you feel like you want to be at the peak again, so you feel strongly compelled to take more.

The only lack of intelligence I can attest for is the next day or two after rolling. I always used to feel a bit 'medicated'-- similar to the feeling after taking certain cold medicines (a bit loopy). This effect increased depending on how much I took that weekend.
    I don't make the best decisions or communicate effectively when I'm like that.

Personally, I've decided I'll never do it again.
    As far as "getting high" goes, I prefer the more cerebral ones -- I'll possibly take mushrooms/mescaline/acid a couple of more times during my lifetime if it comes around, but I've retired from anything (excluding alcohol) that simply provides body-buzz.

23. maxg Registered Senior Member

The biggest health problems related to ecstasy are dehydration and (as someone else said) teeth grinding. Any psychoactive drug is going to have side effects and may cause some problems (including abuse/dependence) but as such things go ecstasy is a relatively safe one. At a societal level its harm is pretty low. There was a Lancet article recently which had rankings of the relative harm of drugs (both legal and illegal) and ecstasy was 18 (below tobacco, alcohol, LSD & most other major recreational drugs).