Dr Dos

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by kmguru, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmguru Staff Member

If Utah gets its way on the microsoft vs the states law suit, we will soon be running Dr. DOS in our computer. A law soon may be in place that anybody buying a computer in Utah ( including the nine states are California, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Utah and West Virginia) could have Dr. DOS take over windows.

Fear not, those nine states will soon design their own operating system and programs. Is not capitalism and free market wonderful...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Robeson Registered Senior Member

And how would the states enforce the use of Dr. Dos over Windows? I would still use windows.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

At the core,DOS would be still the same,isnt it?
    so whats the difference?

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I believe that DOS is part of the Bill Gates and the Windows empire. So your DOS would of necessity be something you would have to learn all over again.

As for Dr. Dos, I am unfamilar with it. It would take some doing to get rid of Windows and have the product that took it's place be as functional as the MS products are. Especially when it comes to dealing with other sites and networks across the world. I know that I will not purchase anything else until it can be shown that what replaces it will be as effective in communication with the rest of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a choice in what software I use. At present, MS has a monopoly no matter what is said to nay say it. It is not by choice for the manufacturers either. The alternatives are just not up to par.

8. Rick Valued Senior Member

9. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Zion,

It claims that DR DOS can perform pre-emptive multitasking just like Windows!!!!

Note to laymen: This means that DR DOS can run more than one program at a time, just like windows.

Does DR DOS support direct memory addressing over 1MB???

Tom

10. kmguru Staff Member

wet1:

There are a lot of products out there that can give windows a run...Dr.DOS, QNX, Free BSD UNIX, BEOS etc. The problem is no large company wants to take on Microsoft in the PC business. What they want is Microsoft to get fragmented so that it will not be a threat to their mainframe and miniframe business. It is a high stake gamble.

The problem is if Microsoft is fragmented, no one really will step in to fill the gap. So, instead of empowering the masses with knowledge, it will go back to the mainframe and glass castle days. Since the Greek civilization days, powerful people tried to control information from the common people. And it still continues today...

You control the information or access to it...you control the masses.

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

Microsoft cannot Fragment so easily as people figure it out.its a Giant and a big one.they have come a long way from MS-DOS 1.0 till XP times...

bye!

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

Although MS-DOS is sigle-tasking O.S,but with a slip on called TSR,it can work like multi-tasking enviornment.where TSR is always loaded on the top of RAM,stealing the interrupts.

is this multi-tasking the same?

bye!

13. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

zion,

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that there are two types of multi-tasking. One type is where the programs fight each other for a share of processor time(like Windows 3.1). The other type of multi-tasking is where the OS is in charge, and it splits processor time between the programs(like Windows 95,98,ME,2000, and XP).

The second type is better because it won't allow one program to hijack the entire system.

I don't think that TSR's in DOS are even considered multi-tasking, because of their limitations as programs.

Tom

Last edited: Apr 28, 2002
  14. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hey come on!
    TSRs are still a great asset to our Virus production industry!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the TSRs are still loaded on the top of the RAM,apart from all the other programs they are still given top priority.

bye!

15. jjhlk Guest

"At the core,DOS would be still the same,isnt it?
    so whats the difference? "

Well, Windows doesn't even use dos at the core anymore. There is still the virtual machine, but it's not that much different from the java virtual machine in this respect. And java is not at the core of windows either!

"Don't quote me on this, but I believe that there are two types of multi-tasking. One type is where the programs fight each other for a share of processor time(like Windows 3.1). The other type of multi-tasking is where the OS is in charge, and it splits processor time between the programs(like Windows 95,98,ME,2000, and XP). "

Oops had to quote you! There are ALMOST 'two types', but i've forgotten the names. One is multitasking, where the cpu is divided (often with priority), and there is another.. It has another name, and it is just as you described. You can often switch between programs (like in dos), but the inactive program is frozen.

How could they stop people from using software? The US government also wants to put their own encryption into all programs, and to make that encryption only legal in countries buying into their crap. Also, the FBI wanted to make their own trojan hidden from virus scanners.

Screw them all. They are trying to take away your rights. Who cares in Microsoft has a monopoly, you still have the right to use whatever software you want! (with some exceptions.. :/ )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.