Sucked into a Blackhole

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by pencil, Sep 10, 2007.

1. pencil Banned Banned

We know that every galaxy has a black hole that maybe active or non-active. Luckily, the black hole in the milkyway is non-active compared to the active one in andromeda.

What if we were sucked into a blackhole? By sucked, I mean go straight into the blackhole WITHOUT circling with other matter which would probably cause huge supernova explosions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I would pay real money for an accurate permutation/combination of the probability of Humans staying on earth, still being alive and never leaving it to colonize other star systems...on oh say what is it 2 or 3 billion years until Milkyway and Andromeda collide?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's the difference between an active and a non-active black hole? Does it have to do with wether it's actually pulling in matter?

Humans can't survive being sucked into a black hole. At some point far from the center, you would just be crushed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

But can a black hole survive a collision with humans I gather all that ego must create a massive amount of virtual particles

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. pencil Banned Banned

Hypothetically speaking, what if a human was able to enter a black hole safely? Where would the other-side or exit be?

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know. It's probably a dead end. It's more dense than a planet or sun, so...

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

could even well be a other universe the fact is the observer/victem could never leave he could observe tough.

The fact is the black hole is a event horizon with a singularity in the middle so if all else turns out wrong you would hit the singularity however this singularity might be smaller then a planck lenght and then you would hit nothing or els their are micro wormholes leading everywhere

11. Saquist Banned Banned

I see someone saw the recent special on PBS.

Note: Active blackhole are singularities actively feeding on Star's or a large amount of stellar matter.

Note: All information about Sagitarrious A is all about 26,000 years old which the PBS special fails to tell you. The threat from that singularity is neglible.

12. Scull Registered Member

Theoretically there could be a white hole on the other side.

What would happen also depends on if its your perspective or an obsever's perspective.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Alright then.

For "normal" sized black holes (a few solar masses, say), even if you could dive straight into it, the tidal forces as you near the event horizon would rip you to pieces.

Now, with a supermassive black hole (3 million+ solar masses) you could cross the event horizon and hardly even notice it since the gravitational gradient (the cause of "tidal forces") is not very steep at all. The absolut magnitude of gravity at this point however would prevent you from ever leaving.

No one can say what might happen at the singularity. Anything about exits or wormholes or "rips" in spacetime leading to another universe or whatnot, are pure speculation.

The most likely result is that you bump into the singularity and are immediately compressed to an "infinite" density (no one really knows. The singularity is a point of mathematical infinity that occurrs when equations are evaluated for a collapse of matter that never stops. What really, physically happens? Who knows.).

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can't believe this is even a question. Am I the only one that saw the movie documentary??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

There is no route 'through' a black hole; once you are inside, all paths lead to the singularity, where you will become part of a dimensionless point (or, in the cases of a rotating hole, a ring). Black holes are non-traversible; they are not wormholes.

The good news is that there is no reason to fall into a black hole if you are in a stable orbit; the Sun has massive gravity, but the planets are not 'sucked in' to it. Similarly, if the Sun instantly became a black hole with the same mass, all the planets would continue to orbit it in the same paths as before.

16. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

If you could survive being sucked into a black hole, you would see the history of the entire universe flash before your eyes, because in the immense gravity of the black hole, the time warp factor would be infinite, thus an instant of time to you would actually be an eternity in the outside world. On the contrary, people on the outside would see your body as frozen in time right above the event horizon. it would appear to them that your time has stopped and it would appear to you that their time is moving infinitely fast.

17. sniffy Banned Banned

in theory......

18. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

well of course...but gravitational time dilation is a proven fact, the only problem is with an infinite time warp, thats where theory takes over

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

We would die.

20. pencil Banned Banned

I have another question. We know if we travel speeds of lights, that time slows down....is this a physical change? For an example, does the ACTUAL clock on our wrist-watch slow down????? How is this possible???

21. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

yes this is a physical change and time in any way you can define it slows down. To you, traveling at close to the speed of light, everything would seem the same, just as traveling 60 mph smoothly on a highway feels like you are still. You would see the hand on your watch as moving the same speed. However, if you could see the hands on a stationary persons watch, the hand would be moving faster. similarly, a stationary observer looking at your watch would see the hands moving slower.

this is not just a change in "clocks" it is a change in time in all respects. this is proven. for example, a particle with a known half life can be accelerated to near light speeds in a particle accelerator and decays much slower than if left stationary. this has been measured and proven. syncronized clocks will go out of sync if one is accelerated becasue the moving one will slow down. Two twins will no longer be the same age if one gets in a spaceship and travels close to the speed of light. two twins could be years apart in age after such a journey.

this is what allows future "time travel" all a person would need to do is to get in a rocket and go close to the speed of light. a short time later (measured by the traveler by any method chosen, be it a clock, the amount the persons hair has grown, the persons menstrual cycle) the traveler returns but on earth thousands of years could have passed.

This is not all theory, or some kind of trick or loophole, TIME ACTUALLY SLOWS DOWN. the theory begins with infinite time warps.

22. Dunn11x Jesus Christ is The Messiah! Registered Senior Member

Exactly! Why is everyone saying it is this or this is what happens when it comes to a "Black Hole". No one knows what the heck it is. Pretty much everything you have ever heard on the matter is in theory. For all we know the movie Event Horizon could be the answer (and I say that loosely); I hope not but, no one knows.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Everyone? Do you read?

Here's a few snippets from my post just a little way up there:

See? Not everyone is saying "this or that is what happens".