Cuban Cigars

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Sep 8, 2007.

1. superstring01 Moderator

So I was watching a program the other day, and they had a bunch of high-roller wealthy dudes who were regaling us with the virtues of Cuban cigars over all others.

So, I have never smoked tobacco products in my life and don't intend to, but the thing I want to know is, are Cuban's really that good, or is it this whole "contraband" nonsense? (which, of course, they aren't contraband anywhere outside the USA, but you get my point)

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've been a smoker for over 50 years and have tried some very expensive cigars, including some from Cuba at $15 each. They were OK but didn't impress me as being worth the price. Never bought any again.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I've always wanted to try one..just to see if they live up to the hipe. I'm not a big fan of cigars...I'll probably be disappointed.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

In that case, I can assure you that you would be. The hype is mostly that - just hype.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I've been a non-smoker for 4 years now, but I still enjoy the taste of a good cigar if someone hands it to me (mainly because you don't have to inhale it to enjoy it).

Can anyone describe the taste of of the more popular Cuban tobacco (blends)?

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"The Law of the Taj Mahal" - if something is world famous for excellence, among all kinds of people, for many years, there's probably a reason.

I've had a couple of Cuban cigars (you can buy them in Canada). One was OK, one was very good. The one that was very good gave me an idea of what the difference could be - I'm pretty sure there is a Cuban cigar around that lives up to the hype.

Had a similar experience with a bottle of wine I picked up by accident, to bring to dinner at a friend's house. Haven't seen another of its kind since, which is probably a good thing because I am a poor person and an unscrupulous dealer could charge me almost anything for it. Likewise a shot of old single-malt Scotch from a celebration bottle at a restaurant owner's wedding. A many thousand dollar violin bow from a famous maker I got to play with once - worth every penny.

There seems to be a core of truth in these things, whatever the hype. Outside of Mack trucks, young pussy, and the FBI, anyway.

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I had a Cuban once, given to me by a friend. I smoke probably 2-5 cigars a month, usually brands like CAO or Avo -occasionally a high-end Arturo Fuentes.

The Cuban I had was among the best I've ever smoked: smooth flavor, even burn (the ash stayed together all the way down), and a great finish. These are all important features for a cigar you've just dropped $8-25 on, particularly the finish. A cigar gets a very bitter flavor at the end as you're smoking the hottest part of the tobacco. The more evenly the tobacco burns, the less heat generated (or so it seems), and maybe this gives it a better finish as well.

Any way, the Cuban finished very well and didn't get bitter until about only an inch or so was left. I've had some that seem to finish so poorly you seem to be putting out half a cigar. No fun when you calculate you just tossed out about $4-12.

But that's not to say that there isn't a certain amount of hype that goes along with Cubans. I think that the whole notion is that which you can't have, coupled with a good cigar. You can get cigars made of Cuban tobacco but grown elsewhere like Honduras or Costa Rica -and these are very good.

Box-cut CAO's are my favorites. They go well with a good glass of scotch.