The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by spidergoat, Sep 8, 2007.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

http://www.bytocom.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24273

The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments was a children's chemistry book written in the 1960s by Robert Brent and illustrated by Harry Lazarus. Many of the experiments contained in the book are now considered highly dangerous for unsupervised children, and would not appear in a modern children's chemistry book. OCLC lists only 126 copies of this book in libraries worldwide. It was said that the experiments and information contained herein were too dangerous for the general public.

Have fun!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, they're selling like hotcakes on ebay...for $2.79

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I like the part where they show how to make a still.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

It appears to be in Arabic. Someone will have to translate.

Anyway, all chemistry textbooks more than 20 years old have interesting stuff in them. One inorganic textbook I have gives you an outline of how to create industrial quantities of potassium nitrate. A still should be something that will have been explained to chemistry students anyway.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, just download the rar file and un-compress it. It's a PDF file of the book.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Can't we just click on a wordy?

10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Further down the page is an unrared easy to get pdf of it.

Its interesting, nothing that didn;t get demonstrated at school to us in the first few years of senior school, and therefore in fact would be pretty safe to do at home.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I came across this book a couple of years back. It was made famous in the Radioactive Boy Scout incident. The book is touted as dangerous and whatnot, but it seems relatively tame to me.

I think the most irresponsible thing in the book is when it instructs you in how to make chlorine gas then advises that you waft a little over for a sniff...

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

WE used to use the pop test for hydrogen- thats where you put a splint into a test tube which hopefully has some H2 in it. If it goes "pop", you have hydrogen. And oxygen re-ignites a glowing splint.