Battle of the Dark Lords!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fettman, Sep 6, 2007.

?

Which Dark lord would win?

1. Sauron

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Voldemort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Palpatine

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

#1. Sauron

#2. Voldemort

#3. Palpatine

Each at the peak of power.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Morgoth was the first "Dark Lord" Sauron was but a welp in those days.

He had a hand in the creation of the world, etc etc and basically could own all 3.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Yes but it was said when Sauron forged the one ring his power surpassed that of Morgoth.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Where was it "said". just curious...I missed it in my readings.

8. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

It was in his notes what is that book called....grr i'll do more research on it but Morgoth isnt part of this debate

9. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Palpatine, easily. He could simply destroy Mordor from orbit. So far as I know, the Nazgul can't fly into space...and even if they can it would take them a long time to reach the Star Destroyers.

And that assumes Palpatine wants the planet relatively intact. At the height of his power, I think he had a Death Star available to destroy the whole of Arda (Mordor, the Shire, even Valinor and all the rest) in a single shot.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Sauron was basically Melkor's bitch in the SImalrillion, then when Melkor/Morgoth got beat down, Sauron whines and begs like a little puss.

Plus, he was defeated by a weird little dude and some Hobbits. Umm, no.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

In the Eldar days of Arda(before the Valar "bent" the seas), the universe and world was flat....no orbit.

12. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Morgoth's terrible power would live on yet through Sauron, as is described in The Lord of the Rings.

And this isn't a battle of armies its a battle of individuals.

13. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Ah, but I believe they did that before Sauron was at his height of power...so this would be a post-bending conflict.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I like to think it only takes one finger to push the "destroy planet" button on the Death Star. If we're taking the death star away, though, then I say we have to take away all of Sauron's worldly possession too, including weapons and magic rings. Then Naked Palpatine will just apply lightning until Naked Sauron dies.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

my whole argument is Morgoth (yes I like Feanor's name Melkor better...too - from now on) should be on the list.

Get Melkor on the list...mmmkay.

Sauron was nothing more than a master at lying, disguise and trickery. Before and after the rings were made.

15. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

His will was then inside this ring that can control the other rings - thus he was more powerful than ever before when he wore the Ring.

Lets not put Morgoth in this because he is so powerful.

16. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

No fleets armies or any help what so ever just the three in combat with one another.

17. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

"After lying hidden and dormant for about 1000 years, Sauron put on a fair visage in the Second Age, and calling himself Annatar, the Lord of Gifts, he befriended the Elvish smiths of Eregion, and counseled them in arts and magic. Not all the Elves trusted him, particularly Lady Galadriel and Gil-galad, High King of the Ñoldor, but few listened to them. Then the Elves forged Rings of Power, but in secret Sauron forged the One Ring to rule the Elvish rings, investing most of his own power into the Ring as he forged it. By doing so, he became more powerful than his master Morgoth at the end of the First Age, whose fëa ("soul" or "spirit"), while stronger, was dispersed into the matter of Arda. When Sauron put on the One Ring and tried to dominate the Elves, they resisted, and Sauron came upon them in the War of the Elves and Sauron and, had it not been for the intervention of Númenor, he might have defeated them."

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

Fettman:

Voldemort kills Palpatine and is in turn defeated by Sauron.

Reason: Voldemort is basically unstoppable, even discounting the wuss-factor of being killed in the most lame way in the last Harry Potter book. It comes to who would strike first - Voldemort with a curse or Palpatine with force choke. My money's on Voldemort, he's younger and faster. Then it comes down to who is a more powerful warlock, and I think Sauron is the obvious choice.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  19. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

So then when you said "Each of the peak of power" you were kidding? Again, though, if Palpatine doesn't get his toys, then I'd argue on his behalf that Sauron should be denied the use of any rings.

Under that assumption, lightsaber beats any weapon Sauron ever had (as none of his weapons were cortosis based, hence the lightsaber cuts right through them), so Sauron really can only try to pummel Palpatine with his armored fists, until palpatine cuts those off (no cortosis weave armor).

As for Voldemort, I think he's beat Sauron too. Magic in Lord of the Rings wasn't nearly as flashy as it was in Harry Potter (from what little I know of it). Voldemort's spells are likely eminently more practical in combat situations. I suspect Voldemort then beats up gimped and shipless Palpatine too for similar reasons. Voldemort's spells are too flexible and varied compared to Palpatine's force powers (and can be used from a much greater distance, as I understand it).

Up next: Sauron versus blind, deaf Palapatine with one leg cut off!

20. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Magic in lord of the rings wasnt used much in the movie but in the books and Tolkins notes it beats everything in Harry potter.

21. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Their own powers not their Armies or anything to do with their minions and the ring became part of him, so no you cant take that way just like you couldn't take Voldemort's wand or palps Light saber.

22. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Light Sabers are good weapons but...

23. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Your thread, your arbitrary limitations

, but I would still say that Sauron can't use the One Ring to draw on the power of any other ring. (Since the Ring had "a will of its own," I always thought of it as rather like a minion though.) Even then, if a shattered Narsil could cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand, what do you think a fully operational lightsaber would do?

Sauron tartare.