Swinging?! Why?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Sep 6, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I was watching a programme about Swinging a while ago, (not the swinging has in swinging on a swing in the local park) and i got to thinking why people do it, well i know why i do it, but i just thought i'd ask who here has done it, and why?

swinging:
    While contemporary swingers look to earlier practices, such as ancient Roman acceptance of orgies and alternative sexual practices[citation needed], the actual practice of swinging in the 20th century began differently.

According to Terry Gould's The Lifestyle: A Look at the Erotic Rites of Swingers [2], swinging began among United States Air Force pilots and their wives during World War II. In this small community, the mortality rate among pilots was significantly high. Gould reports that a close bond between pilots arose, with the implication that the husbands would protect and care for all the wives as their own, both emotionally and sexually, if the husbands were away or lost (thus bearing some similarity to levirate marriage).

This historical narrative is debatable, however, since it would have been highly unusual for military wives to accompany their husbands on foreign tours of duty. Other sources point to U.S. Air Force pilots stationed in the California desert as the original participants in modern swinging. Though the exact beginnings are not agreed upon, it is widely assumed that swinging began amongst American military communities in the 1950s.

By the time the Korean War ended, the practice of swinging had spread from the military bases to the nearby suburbs. The media promptly dubbed the phenomenon wife-swapping.

The first swingers' organization, the Sexual Freedom League, began in the 1960s in Berkeley, California, in the sexually liberal San Francisco Bay Area. Ultimately, an umbrella organization called the North American Swing Club Association (NASCA)[3] (now NASCA International) was formed to encourage the dissemination of accurate information about swinging lifestyles across North America.

In the United Kingdom there was a proliferation of neighbourhood swingers groups in the early 1970s (at that time these were generally known as "wife swapping" groups). In various press articles written in later years it appears that the peak of this activity was 1973-75.
    ---------------------------------------

so discuss!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My brother-in-law and his wife did that for a while in the 80s (so my husband says)
    Neither of us could do it.
    I don't have a problem with others doing it, but I wonder about the affect it has on their kids.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Lack of conversation?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well if they're kids dont know then it doesnt hurt them, they dont go and tell they're kids.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what if the kids are adults? Can you imagine running into mom and dad at a swingers convention.
    LOL

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

The main reason for swinging is the lack of love towards the partner.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's just a modern redefinition of the way sexuality had been practiced for thousands of years, it's nothing new. The same habits are common in bonobos.

11. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

Boredom, i guess. Some people get bored of their partners after a while. The way i see it is marriage is like eating steak everyday. Can you imagine eating steak everyday?? Even good things after a while get boring.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Agreed. It does get routine and boring. I have never thought of spicing up my sex life by introducing more people to it, but we do get creative.
    I don't think men mind routine as much as women. Do you guys??

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah like when your man says........C'mon give me a Thrill.... lol

As for swinging....not into it.....sex and love go hand and hand for me.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

What's a routine?

15. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I wonder what the survival rate of marriages is, where the partners have been swingers?
    Personally, I can't see the point of having all the reponsibilities of marriage if both partners are openly going to fuck others. Sex is the most sacred part of a marriage imo and each partner should have exclusive rights to the other, if they want to fuck around they shouldn't get married. Hell, you wouldn't let your best employee work part time for your competitor, so how can you let your spouse, the person you are supposed to love most dearly in your life that you could die for, get sexually degraded by a randy neighbour? The idea of it is actually pretty disgusting.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

same days, time, place, and maybe only using 2 positions.:yawn:

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I meant "What's sex?"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think trust is the most sacred part. Just because my marriage is monogamous, that doesn't mean I'm reviled by others who aren't. Its an open marriage where they share...kinda like polygamy but the wife gets extra too.
    I don't think we are monogamous by nature and you have to work at it. Some couples have to work harder than others. Some don't at all...they swing or cheat.

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

same days? Like what monday and friday? lolol

I can think of ummmmmm 4 positions commonly used so maybe thats why
    I am not bored.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, some people have work schedules that only allow for certain day. :shrug:

21. Why? Registered Senior Member

Swinging sounds fun, but my wife would never forgive me. Plus, I'm not sure I would forgive her.

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well for the people i knwo who swing (myself included) the marrage survival rate is high, if you take it has it is then you dont have any problems, if you see your partener with someone else and not like it and get jealous then its not for you,
    and they say that it has in fact spiced up the marrage and the bed room activities, and that cant be all bad. It is just a group of people who are like minded and who are comfortable with they're marriages

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

Luckily most governments don't share your quaint notions about human ownership:

http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html