Brave New World

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

What about a future in which "taylor made humans" are comonplace. Do you feel this is grossly wrong? Or a good idea. Myself I think we should have a right to come out F'ed up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

....... Just Kidding, any thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Choosing something by informed choice rather than trusting to a random process has to have significant advantages.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

cybernetic humans are the future, flesh to metal

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Robeson Registered Senior Member

I wonder if the humans of the future will segregate these mechanical huminoids.

8. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

"Choosing something by informed choice rather than trusting to a random process has to have significant advantages."

WRONG WRONG, (starts to thump Cris with a bible)!!

Just kidding ofcourse

(throws the bible in the fireplace

)

I don´t know what to think about this. I just watched the movie 6th day... I know I know Schwarzenegger was the macho hero again, but it had some good points.
    They could clone a body in a few hours and then they could put your memories inside the body. Ofcourse it wouldn´t be you who would go inside the clone... but your memories which would then make the person excatly like you, but they didn´t think about that much in the movie.
    In one point of the movie, the person who owned the (illegal) human cloning facility said to his agents "You cost me 1.2 million dollars every time I bring you back (from death), try to be worth the money"... could this be the threath of such society?
    That we start to put a prize on human life?

Also would industries soon start to create "genejacks" to work into theyr factories which would be specifically engineered to do theyr job.

As Sheng-Ji Yang said: My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker or genejack. The genejacks muscles and nervers are ideal for his task and the cerebral cortex has been anthroped, so that he can desire nothing more than to perform his duty. Tyranny you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?
    (Sorry about the bad english on the quote)

Perhaps it could be so, that when you wouldn´t have to feel pain for the child, but you could produce it in a factory in few hours/days/months and decide its genes... it would become a more and more material thing.

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Wasn't Brave New World mainly a statement on a Fordian future?

10. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but I liked it for a Thread Title.