What will life be like in 2020?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Sep 5, 2007.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

As I think of all the changes that have occured over the course of the last century and our ever increasing technical capabilities, I wonder what will life be like in 2020...if man is still alive?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Teetotaler Registered Senior Member

Of course man is still alive in 2020. At least I don't plan on dying by then. There was a special on discovery channel awhile back that covered it. The program was called "2020" or 2021". I forget.

But many medical advancements such as organ farming, fluorocarbon treatment at accidents when your heart stops, limb replacements, holographic computers, flying cars, and etc.

I can't remember the rest.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What do you think it will be like?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Highly radioactive and wet.

8. Looney Whaaaaat? Registered Senior Member

Not much different than it is today. War, political unrest, poverty, crime....

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i think it will be simular to it is right now, its not far away atall, the difference will be simular to 1990-2002.

not much difference, except a boost in tech.

peace.

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Sealab

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I will be known as "Exalted Warlord Om".
    I'll be a large beefy dude with an eye-patch, prolific looking scarred face, cybernetic leg that makes whirring-piston sounds as I walk with a limp, and gray hair.

Me and my robot ninja armies will control most of the post apocalyptic world......mainly through intimidation and fear.

Robot-ninja: Sir - the peasants of New Australia say they don't have enough money, and humbly beg for your forgiveness. They prostrate themselves before you, request you give them more time.....

Me (sitting on my throne drinking a glass of wine) --- slight pause...... kill them....kill then all

Robot-ninja: (enthusiastically) YES LORD OM!

12. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

How'd you get the eye patch and the scars?

13. superstring01 Moderator

Entire meals with come in pill-form and the world will be ruled by DAMNED DIRTY APES!!

~String

14. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I don't know how, but I need them to enhance my diabolical-ness

I should probably mention that I also have my own theme song which involves lots of kettle drums, and baritone choir chanting "oooooooohhhh" sounds.

15. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I'm practicing saying, "I, for one, welcome our dolphin overlords."

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Same old, same old.

17. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

* mutters to himself something about how donkeys live a long time *

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

The 2020s is predicted to be the golden age of nanotechnology, the second of the three revolutions in GNR--genetics, nanotechnology and robotics. Computers will continue to shrink and become embedded into our environments and clothing. That'll probably happen before the 2020s. Computers like desktops and laptops will probably all but disappear in the 2010s. You might think of the 2010s as time that prepares people for the future and that means spending a lot more time in virtual reality. In the 2020s, many people will be spending lots of time in VR and/or augmented reality. Almost certainly there will be luddites who will choose not to be. It will be interesting to see what percentage of the human population will choose the luddite path. At some point in a future, that will be a decision we will all be forced to deliberately make.

19. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

These are very optimistic predictions. It seems you don't realise just how primitive humans still are. As usual, only a very very small per centage of the population will have access to the best technology, and even then it won't work a good portion of the time, since humans tend to put profits over quality.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't mind apes as long as I get the girls. But will be be more religious? Will religion evolve? Is our recent movement to the religious right temporary, a knee gerk reaction to technology? Will there be a major new religious movement more intuned with our technology or will religion regress to more primitative states? I understand by 2020 you should be able to buy the computing power equilivant to the human brain for about thirty bucks.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I'll be dead, and you'll all be sorry.

22. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I'll assume you're talking to me. My predictions are optimistic? Did I say anything about life being better in the future? I hope it will. I basically said only a few things, which are almost certain to happen:
    - computers will get smaller
    - people will spend more time in VR
    - people will be forced to choose whether they want to become luddites or be like the rest of the technology embracing populations

As for your comment that only the best technology is available to only a few people... that's probably going to be true for a long time. But it doesn't mean that positively life-altering technology may not have widespread availability. In fact, that seems to be precisely what is happening due to the rapidly decreasing cost of technology and computers.

23. orcot Valued Senior Member

- exotic particles are found changing fasther then light from theoretical possible if this and that turns true to theoretical possible but expensive power hungry short lived (planck time units) and unpractical.
    - The first genetic perfect mammoths are clonend and in a womb of a asian elephant and become noticeble deformed because of the difference child mother and altough a sed back a lot is learned abouth the revived species and reviving them in general.
    - Effective fussion power plants are developed (but not in wide use) and altough cleaner in enviroment the wont drop the costs much like fission plants.
    - world hunger leads to some developmend aid in africa with some hope in sight altough the behavior of the formers reminds us to the late colonial period
    - First landing on a near earth comet makes it the second landing on a celestial body besides earth and the moon (sorry no mars in 2020)
    - Cellphones have even more anoying ringtones and are able to integrate with your computer not only working as a memory stick but also capable to send zip packages a useful item considering the better camera quality.
    -Darwin is launched and for the past 2 years were able to detect earths sized bodys and also where finding earths sized body's around stars who have habitable zone's things are found not advanced lifeforms but places that can't be exclude of having life on them