Do You Blog?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Yonescoh, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Yonescoh Registered Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

I used to blog, but my laziness when it comes to typing kept kicking in, so my entries were usually weeks apart. Eventually, I stopped blogging completely. However, thanks for the reminder: I just may start again.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yonescoh Registered Member

I know exactly what you mean. I have no idea how many times I will be able to update it. I will try to update it at least a couple of times a week...

I'm tracking visits in my website, but oddly enough a lot of visits are taking only 0 seconds. What does that mean? I have no idea. :shrug:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kadark Banned Banned

Hmm...not sure what that means. I was certainly viewing your blog for more than zero seconds.

Anyway, I read what you wrote (in your blog), and I agree. Nice post. Oh, and a little late, but welcome to Sciforums.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

looks like too much work to me

9. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

That typically means that the person visiting didn't click on any of the links on your page, which would give the software a baseline to determine how long they were there. For example, if I click your url and my browser loads the page, it has no other reason to interact with the site since it has the text already.

If I spend 2 minutes reading then close the browser window without an outclick or without clicking any internal links or without refreshing the page, the tracking software (usually something like Sitemeter) doesn't know how long I've been there. But if I *do* click a link, say to another post in your sidebar or to a link in your blog roll, the tracking software uses the point at which I first loaded the page to the point at which I left to tell how long I was there.

By the way, I've a blog link in my profile if you're interested.

10. Yonescoh Registered Member

Thank you for the explanation. That's quite clarifying.

Thank you for the offer! Whatever that is.... HAHA!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Did you like my blog?

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Pretty basic but a good start. I would suggest getting some links to other blogs in a sidebar. Particularly blogs that you enjoy reading and that you post at. If you don't read other blogs or post, you should start if you want to increase traffic. Traffic means regular readers. Regular readers means people who will eventually post.

But don't just post at like-minded blogs. Post at blogs where people will disagree with you and follow your link to see what you're about. Then they'll post comments and eventually a buzz gets started and the link love starts and you have people visiting all the time.

The "offer" was simply me pointing out that the link to my blog is in my profile, but you can click here to see it. I've slacked off a little over the summer, but plan to get busy again over the next few weeks.

Don't forget, get some link love going. Blogs work best when people know about them. And, like you, other bloggers use software like Sitemeter to see where people are coming from so if you link to other blogs, they'll find you. This is an example of "if you build they will come" but only if you have hyperlinks!

12. Yonescoh Registered Member

Thank you for all the tips!

Do you get income from the ads?

Is there a way I can browse blogs by category?

Thanks chap!

I will add your blog to my list!

13. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Blogs are the intellectual equivalent of projectile vomit.

14. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I considered doing one on the basis of informing my friends of what I'm up to as a way of saving time from repeating the same story to multiple friends and it being a faster way to begin with. Mostly for subjects which are interesting but not great conversation. However I never did.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have several.

One private,
    one for a project of mine,
    one abandoned one I still use, because my sister, who lives in London, is there as my friend, so I can read her friends only posts and see how she's doing,
    one old one for my Latvian friends,
    one a general information one at a site similar to FaceBook, only Latvian.

So umm I have 5, I guess.

16. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Were they supposed to be intellectual?

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I'm going to start a blog in my newly aquired myspace page

18. Yonescoh Registered Member

Has anyone clicked on my ads?

HAHA!

I will update the blog soon, by the way. Hoepefully tomorrow.

19. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hello guys

of course i dotn have a blog guys

anyway what is a blog and what do you do with it???

~~~~~~~
    cheers zak

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I like the conspiratorial tone of the title:

'Do You Blog?'
    'Do YOU Blog?'

As this implies, blogging is dirty and the thread starter should be ashamed.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

lol thats what I thought when I read it.........you almost feel like saying

Excuse me.......thats personal I refuse to answer that ? lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  22. Yonescoh Registered Member

HAHA!! You dirrty chaps!

I updated my blog, by the way.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Indeed, but I haven't done much with it for the last couple of weeks. At the same time I launched the blog, I also undertook a novel because I had the opportunity to work under the advisement of a local writer. We've been trying to get some pages ready for a conference at the end of the month, so I've been focusing on that, with Sciforums being my recreation, and the blog--intended as a serious project--has fallen down the list of priorities. On the one hand, it's not supposed to be as exclusively political as it seems. To the other, though, I've been roped into the electoral cycle, and by the time I finish writing any one piece, it's out of date. Like a piece I was working on about Hillary Clinton and the gender issue; I slept on it, unfinished, and by the time I got back to it the next day, my thesis was up in the air again. Or the piece on dignity in the Iraq war ... ye gads, I can't keep up with that one.

The highlight so far was being listed alongside a WashingtonPost.com article a couple weeks after its publication. Woo-hoo. In the meantime: B.D.'s Last Refuge.

I'll try to get some time in on it this weekend.