balloons

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by orcot, Sep 2, 2007.

1. orcot Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

This is the part that I don't understand:
    I thought gravity waves were caused by cataclysmic events, like neutron stars merging or the like. How are the 'gravity waves' produced that rise up more than 30 miles into the atmosphere? Or are they just speaking of a varying gravitational potential caused by an uneven surface (mountains) and surface density? How would that cause vertical movements of 'air' unless the atmosphere was falling over intense gravity areas and being 'pushed up' over areas with less gravity? The article seemed to indicate the 'air' was rising due to 'gravity waves' pushing it up???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The problem with many news articles is that they quote some PR (public relations) guy/gal who is not a scientist. As a result, when they describe certain things they occasionally make factual scientific errors - sometimes actual blunders.

Yes, since gravity waves have not yet even been formally proven to exist (but their does seem to be some pretty good indications) it's actually gravity anomalies that are being talked about - just as you said.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Yes, I am well aware of mistakes often made by writers, etc. in news articles. The part I quoted was a direct quote by Kevin Baines, JPL's principle investigator for the proposed mission. That was what got my attention, it was by the lead scientist. The same article and quote is on NASA/JPL's website:
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/features.cfm?feature=1448