What Constitutes Chronic Depression

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Seriously, what constitutes chronic depression?

Anyone know?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Chronic depression shows up usually as bursts. Like there will be a period where you are experiencing heavy systems.....a break.....and back to the symptons. I think a lot of people jump the gun on chronic depression though.

Symptoms include;
    persistent sadness (obviously)
    appetite changes drastically/suddenly
    physical discomfort
    lethargy (which basically means extreme slugishness and inability to perform)
    inability to keep concentration
    lose of interest in most things
    suicidal tendencies or constant thought of death (NOT fear of death)
    become very irratible

If you think you have chronic depression, you likely don't. I find something like 50% of teenagers actually think they have it, when most are just experiencing normal feelings. If you think you have chronic depression, talk to your parents. Not necessarily about having c.d. (I know, it's impossible to actually tell them you think this), but say that you think you would benefit from a therapist. Talk to him/her about it. Let them tell you things. If it's chronic depression, prepare for a journey. My bet? It's not. Good luck.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Oh, insomnia and hypersomnia are also symptons, sorry I left them out.

"Other forms of mental illness can be more serious. You get depressed when something is wrong. Clinical depression means you feel bad all the time.

Severe depression is triggered with a tragedy such as a family member who just died. Many researchers belief depression is caused by an imbalance of neurotransmitters. If it is caused by a deficiency of dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine, it is just heredity."
    - From Cris' site

There are different types of depression. Lithium defficiency is not the answer to them all.

9. Ana Registered Senior Member

take it from me...

Guys, chronic depression is definetly a neurotransmitter imbalance....and it differs from Clinical or Suicidal Depression in the sense that it well........hell, it's CHRONIC....it doesn't want to go away.....for years it persists and it may not be as prominent for a few months and then come back in full force....but it persists.......like a chronic cough....goes on for years......

In my opinion you treat it with medication which will allow the person to benefit from attending what I like to call "training sessions"---not your traditional Freud Psychotherapy....more like a way to retrain your negative and cycling thoughts, actions and reactions into something more positive and productive. This may may the person less susceptible to bouts with depression, help them come off medication....and hopefully make them aware that they should seek drug therapy when they are going into "remission" despite their efforts at fighting it.

Anyway, that's what I think.

10. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Re: take it from me...

Cognitive therapy is supposed to be better treatment for depression. The main reason for this it that with drug therapies there is a high chance of relapse. I can post numbers if you like...

Ideally it's best to have both cognitive and drug therapies, but that's not always an option.

-Xenu

11. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I agree with the neurotransmitter imbalance theory too, but these neurtransmitters are caused by "bad" thoughts which in turn are caused by neurotransmitters. Mind comes from body, and body comes from mind. It's a cycle.

12. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

I dont think there is anything u can do. If they are depressed then they wont listen to anyone anyway. i think u just have to leave them to get out of it themselves. Im not saying abandon them. i just dont think there is anything u can do for them anyway.

13. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Er, is chronic depression like manic depression, a.k.a. bipolar syndrome?

But Pete, if depression is an imbalance in chemicals and whatnot, then we can simply inject the proper chemicals and they'll get better, won't they?

14. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Chronic means recuring %BlueSoulRobot%, as i think someone said. so u go from being depressed to being ok and then back again. This keeps happening.It is the same thing as manic depression (if i remember correctly), hence bipolar i.e. going between the extremes (different poles)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

causes cant be attributed. it could be the negative thoughts that cause the release of different levels of chemicals or it could be the chemicals causing the negative thoughts. No-one knows. Personally i think it is the negative thoughts that start the whole thing.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

ther exists a direct relationship between physical and emotive states.

the neural chemical communications of one with depressed emotions will appear and behave differently from
    the neural chemical communications of one with elated emotions.

your emotions cause an actual physical change in the brain.
    most call them "imbalances," but they r actually balances between the 2.
    [im sure whoever the powers that be who coined the term "imbalance" had their reasons 4 calling it that.
    (words can b very powerful when it comes 2 social manipulation)]

these tiny pysical electrochemical transmissions in our heads r nothing but physical symbols of our emotions.
    its a map.

of course your genetic make up plays a role
    but that goes for any function of your body.

(for no money down, your own physical body has the ability 2 fire off better versions of the drugs that we pay so much money to the farm for.)

thought patterns, physical movement and breathing, diet, environment (including electromagnetic noise), and social interactions come together 2 create emotion.

chronic depression is a result of:
    what u think about
    the way u movie and breath
    what u consume
    your surrounding environment
    and your physical emotional relationships with others.

by manipulating these, you can change your neurochemical transmissions to create your emotions

emotions are also created by triggered associations.
    that means
    if you r experiencing strong emotions, whatever is around u at that moment will b associated 2 thos emotions.
    for example
    you are experiencing strong feelings of sadness. while u r experiencing these feelings, u hear a dog barking in the background.
    that deep feeling of sadness and the dog become associated in ur brain.
    later, u might be feeling fine.
    u r walking, and u hear a dog barking.
    this will trigger ur brain 2 approach those sad feelings u had before.
    all of a sudden, u r feeling sad, and dont kno y.

genetic abnormalities play a large role in more severe cases of psychosis, and other more serious mental disorders.
    in these cases, our limited knowledge in the feild of human understanding prevents us from really tapping into a persons inherent rejuvinativity.
    for now, medication along with high quality care that focuses on those 5 attributes mentioned abov would help the most.

chronic depression is a set pattern that has been in place for so long.
    everytime u deviate, u will automatically revert back 2 the same set pattern.
    it must b regularly conditioned in order 2 change permenently.
    this can be compared 2 being out of shape or overweight.

just as
    u must condition ur muscles through certain physical excersises 4 the purpose of acheiving a new physical shape,
    u must also condition ur brain through certain mental excersises 4
    the purpose of acheiving a new set pattern.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Talking out your problems works for SOME of the time

meditation is really helpful to

but i doubt i will ever come off the antidepressants

in fact i think they will probably incress the dose

17. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

What is hypersomnia?

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i would gess from the word either being tired all the time or sleeping to much

19. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Thanks Asy,
    I looked it up and cant find it. I have something, but Ive developed bags under my eyes and I can never sleep. I just lay there all night, thoughts flying everywhere. Its really strange cuz Ive never had this problem.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

sounds like insomnia
    quite facinating
    i wish i had the ability to never sleep

21. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

No you dont

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

It's not "sleeping too much" exactly. It's feeling like sleeping at all hours of the day.

As for what you're going through star, it's probably related to stress.

If it continues on you'll end up tricking yourself into thinking you get use to it, but you never really do. I've heard some people call themselves insomnics when they can only get to sleep at like 3 in the morning but can sleep in until 11 or 12. This is not insomnia. If you can sleep that bloody long you just have a sleeping disorder or poor sleeping habits (more likely).

The worst I suffered of not being able to sleep was when (without drugs) I would get to sleep at around 4:30 on a weekday, wake up at 6:30 (5:30 hockey mornings) and go to school. On weekends without drugs I would fall asleep sometime around 4:30-5:00 and be up, not by alarm or for any reason, by 7:30-8:00.

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

hey is it that bad?

during the day, i can work, during the night, i can write and study, and excersise, and do all types of fun stuff.

whats it like?
    do u really never sleep at all?
    or r u jus awake mos of the time but sleep a little?