The 2007 Aurigid Meteor Shower

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by spidergoat, Sep 1, 2007.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/08aug_aurigids.htm?list12656

On Sept. 1, 2007, a flurry of bright and oddly-colored meteors might—emphasis on might--come streaming out of the constellation Auriga, putting on a beautiful early morning show for sky watchers in western North America.

The source of the putative shower is Comet Kiess (C/1911 N1), a mysterious "long-period comet" that has visited the inner solar system only twice in the past two thousand years. In 83 BC, give or take a few centuries, Comet Kiess swung by the sun and laid down a trail of dusty debris that has been drifting toward Earth's orbit ever since. On Sept. 1, 2007, the dusty trail and Earth will meet.

"The whole event should last about 2 hours and be visible from California, Oregon, Hawaii and the eastern Pacific Ocean."

Astronomers are predicting anywhere from 100 to 1,000 meteors an hour during the peak on Saturday morning. The weather forecast has mostly cloudy for Portland area, while mostly clear for eastern Oregon.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Well, I woke up at 4am and watched for about 40 minutes. I saw 5 shooting starts, which was cool, but less than predicted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

We saw so many at the cottage 2 weeks ago, I had shorty convinced it was aliens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There was another peak around August 12th.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Seems like the Aurigids did show up after all. Researchers at 40,000 feet saw up to 350 a hour!

http://aurigids.seti.org/