Should ants have rights?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Teetotaler, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Teetotaler Registered Senior Member

Because they think and carry out processes. I believe it is cruel to kill an ant and that they should be given the same rights humans enjoy.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Humans have the right to be killed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

They have rights, yes.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

in most cases small animals that are not mammals do not have rights. unless they are nearly extinct. we protect cute animals that we can relate with, and dont mind if ugly little bug animals get killed. the only time we allow cute little furry animals to be killed, is if we eat them.

we usualy use the excuse that "the animals dont feel pain" and stuff like that, like with fish, for ages people said fish dont feel pain. but i think latest studies show they have pain receptors simular to ours.

people dont care much about things that dont resemble humans. we dont like seeing little baby monkeys or kittens get killed. we say "aww thats cruel" but when siomebody splats a spider we say "eww thats gross". because we dont like the way they look in general.

its all superficial human behaviour.

peace.

8. superstring01 Moderator

I don't agree.

I don't know why. It's not like we should base our attitudes on either the endangerment of a creature or it's ganglionic complexity. And yet, I still don't give a damn if a person pours gasoline on an ant mound, let's it soak in, and then lights it on fire in order to kill the nasty buggers and their bitchy, egg-laden, queen (quite fun, really, when I was a lad... ahhhhh, growing up on a farm).

~String

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is already true as to what you say. Ants, unto themselves, already have rights of their own. They live the way they want and do the things they do without harming each other of the same species. In other words they have rules as humans do. Humans kill for fun and sport, other animals don't.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They do war though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Ants can have rights as soon as they apply to the UN and fill in all of the appropriate forms.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

They are ants...just ants..they are not bound by the same constraints of society that we are. They dont have laws they dont have religion they dont have morals, they dont have linguistic ability or culture. A bug is just a bug, the second an ant bites me and then ask for a fair trial for assaulting me, thats when it has the same rights as me.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If you were setting anthills ablaze just for the pure fun of it you should check your ethics. :bugeye:

Cases in which cruelty to animals is due to a deliberate wish to be cruel (as opposed to neglect), are known as zoosadism, and have been repeatedly linked via research with abuse and cruelty to people (including the more sensationalist examples of torture and killing).

Psychological studies have shown that individuals who take pleasure in inflicting harm on animals are more likely to do so to humans. One of the known warning signs of certain psycho-pathologies, including anti-social personality disorder, also known as psychopathic personality disorder, is a history of torturing pets and small animals, a behavior known as zoosadism.

14. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

does squishing an ant or a spider in your house count? I hope not otherwise im guilty as hell.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I you have a deliberate wish to be cruel to animals and take pleasure in inflicting harm on them you should get a psychiatrist.
    Everyone has at one time or another killed insects or other invertebrates, purposely or not.
    I swat mosquitoes as well but i don't take any pleasure in it.
    Its 'ok' to eradicate an anthill if, for instance, your whole house is covered with them and your kids are being bitten by them.

16. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

agreed, but as a young boy I have to admit I used to do mean things to bugs with my friends. Isnt that just a second grader acting like a second grader?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yeah, kids just do that. Nothing wrong there unless it gets excessive (like burning down whole anthills just for the fun of it).

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Also, didn't you feel shame afterwards ? Didn't it bother you ?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

When I was a kid I once pulled out a flies wings just to see what it would do. I regretted it almost immediately after I did it, when I realized the cruelty of it.

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I did, but I didnt lose any sleep over it. It was never anything big like mass ant...antocide, just things like squishing spiders, and one time my friend and I set some spiders on fire, but likeI said I was very young.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I always wondered why PETA didn't protest the eating alive of bugs on Fear Factor. What are the qualifications for them to care?

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

chickens aren't cute.