Nitroprusside

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Idle Mind, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Sodium Nitroferricyanide

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with the aforementioned compound. I was meandering my way through wikipedia while at work today, and I came across nitroprusside while in the hemoglobin article.

The article lists the molecule as a dianion, but I can't for the life of me find where the negative charge(s) should be on the molecule (in fact, it looks like there are two positively charged atoms there -- the nitrogen and oxygen of the nitric oxide group). I am usually pretty good with strictly organic molecules, but bio-inorganics are somewhat unfamiliar to me. I'm guessing it will have to do with the iron atom, but I am really just speculating. There is an image at the wikipedia article.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Okay, so it's on the Iron. But what about the positives?

Any explanations?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The iron has a charge of +2, the NO ligand has a charge of +1, and each of the five cyanide groups has a charge of -1. So you have 5 units of negative charge and three of positive, giving you -2 overall.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

That makes sense, thanks Nasor. I was treating the bonds between the ligands and the iron as proper covalent bonds, which would eliminate the negative charges on the cyanide ligands and create a positive one on the nitrogen of the nitric oxide ligand.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I swear to god!!! Every time I see this thread I think it says Nitropussy. Who names these things?!

9. kevinalm Registered Senior Member