has anyone had this problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Riomacleod, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Ok, so I got my copy of dungeon Siege, and I toddled home to install it, only to find that about 5 minutes into the game (or less) I run into a corrupt file.

The message reads something like: A file is corrupt, you should try to repair or replace (reinstall?). This could be the result of a hardware error.

Is there any way of fixing this beyond trying to get a new copy of the game?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

I may be asking the obvious, but did you attempt to reinstall the software? You might also try a disk scan and check the media BEFORE installing in case there is a bad spot on the disk. Do you have access to another machine you could install on... friend? work?

Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I've mentioned this many times before due to my own troubles with my computer originally. I had problems where the installations would be corrupted, zip files and anything else code intense.

In the end it just turned out to be bad RAM. Since during install all the files are moved through the RAM to then be located at their final destination after a bit of de-compression.

It might be a good idea to check your RAM out. (it will mean re-installing after you've fixed your RAM if it needs fixing)

With my problem I had to install the whole OS because that to was corrupted during installation because of the RAM.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I've reinstalled it about 4 or 5 times. Maybe I'll take out my really old ram chip and see if it'll work. Thanks for the advice!

8. Rick Valued Senior Member

have you tried anything else before fiddling with your percious RAM?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

gee...

bye!

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

Is the installation stuff okay?

bye!

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Before going crazy, try a couple of easy things. Look at the disc and see if it has any scratches on it. If it does then you could be missing a vital bit in the scratch. You might also see about haveing the disk replaced.

Secondly, try cleaning the disk in case any of the mold release lubricant didn't get cleaned off. It happens sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.