Neutron Star

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Orleander, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Neutron stars are dead right? Are neutron stars hot? Or are they just a big chunk of rock? If they are, could they be lived on or mined like a moon?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

neutron stars are whats left of the alive star after a supernova, there are different kinds of neutron stars, but i personaly dont know about all of them. as far as i know they have a hard outer crust like the earth and a liquid core. they are cold as far as i know and not hot. they are no longer a super hot plasmic form. they are called cold stars sometimes i think.

my knowledge is limited about this, and thats about all i know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If its cold, wouldn't the liquid core be frozen? What keeps it liquid?

and thanks for the info chi.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol what info? i have the basic knowledge of neutron stars as a 11 year old school drop out. but im happy to share the little i know.

and i dont think the core is the type of liquid we have on earth. its made of nuclei with trillions of free neutrons, they are unstable in earth terms but kept in order from super high pressures. it is not liquid like water or anything we encounter on earth. also its theory and not fact, but im pretty sure this is the thing most scientists go by.

but ofcouse it could be completely wrong as we have no proof.

peace.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

A neutron star typically is 10-20 km across and is made of neutrons with all the consequences.
    And mining a neutron star is on of the most insane ideas I've heard.
    If you dropped an apple on a neutron star it would explode with the energy of a many megaton nuclear bomb.

Read a wiki article or smthing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Ever do the neutron dance?

I don't want to take it anymore
    I'll just stay here locked behind the door
    Just no time to stop and get away
    'Cause I work so hard to make it everyday

Whoo oooh
    Whoo oooh

There's no money falling from the sky
    'Cause a man took my heart and robbed me blind

Someone stole my brand new Chevrolet
    And the rent is due, I got no place to stay

Whoo oooh
    Whoo oooh

(Chorus

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And it's hard to say
    Just how some things never change
    And it's hard to find
    Any strength to draw the line
    I'm just burning doin' the neutron dance

Industry don't pay a price that's fair
    All the common people breathing filthy air
    Roof caved in on all the simple dreams
    And to get ahead your heart starts pumping schemes

Chorus

Whoo oooh
    Whoo oooh
    I'm on fire
    I'm on fire

Chorus

I know there's a pot of gold for me
    All I got to do is just believe
    I'm so happy doin' the neutron dance
    And I'm just burning doin' the neutron dance
    I'm so happy doin' the neutron dance

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so if a big meteor hit it????

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You wouldn't want to be anywhere near then. The energy release including in gamma rays would be quite deadly for anyone in solar systems near by, I think.
    It would hold together because of the gravity though.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They're made almost entirely of neutrons, so yes.

Yes, I think so.

They're quite different from rock. For example, a cubic centimeter of rock might have a mass of perhaps 10 grams. A cubic centimeter of neutron-star material might have a mass of 100,000,000,000,000 grams - with the gravity to match.

If you tried landing on a neutron star, you'd be immediately crushed to a thin pancake on its surface.

Given the above fact, obviously not.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

well since the star would go supernova before turning into a neutron, i dont think anything in the system would worry. they would already have been hit by all types of radiation and gamma rays.

a star will supernova roughly every 50 years in the milky way (our galaxy), i would just like to add that we sure picked a homosexual name for our galaxy.

peace.

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

"Following the explosion of a supernova, a neutron star is created with a temperature probably over 1000 billion degrees.
    It will rapidly cool in less than 1000 years, to 1 million degrees. After that, its temperature will decrease much more slowly."
    http://nrumiano.free.fr/Estars/neutrons.html

Why?

Stars move. A neutron star that blew on the other side of the galaxy could be right next door today.

16. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

However hot its surface may be, a neutron star is so tiny (maybe 30-35 km across at the most) that, if the characteristic pulsar radiation beams thrown out from its magnetic poles do not sweep across our line of sight, it would be undetectable to all but the strongest telescopes from only 1 light year away.

An old, cool neutron star (maybe one formed before the Sun) would have long since spun down and ceased functioning as a pulsar; its surface will have faded to a dull red or infrared glow. Such an object might lurk very near our Solar System - the only way to detect it would be if it approached closely enough to affect the orbits of the planets.

Its structure, though, would have changed very little since its formation. The balance between gravity and neutron-degeneracy pressure does not depend on temperature; the interior would still be a frictionless neutron superfluid, one drop weighing maybe as much as all water in Lake Baikal...

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so how close is this?

How small do neutron stars get?

18. Yorda Registered Senior Member

as small as "black holes".

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what happens if one gets sucked into it? Could it explode the balck hole?

20. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Actually, neutron stars may not exist at all. Instead, they may be strange stars. That is, the degenerate matter would not form a ball of neutrons, but instead would form into a ball of strange matter, being an equal number of up, down and strange quarks. Google on strange matter, strange quark matter, strangelets, and strange stars for more information.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Ok, so what would happen if a hypothetical neutron star got sucked into a black hole?

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The same thing that happens with everything that's sucked into it - gone.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Correct, but I noted this several years ago. I discuss this and several other posibilites as the "Dark Visitor" in my book by that name. My 2.2 solar mass "dark visitor" passes rapidly thru the solar system, missing Earth by 12 AU, but the gravitational impulse slightly increases Earth's excentricity (but it remains less than Mars currently has.)

I did a finite time step simulation of the three body interaction (Earth, Sun and Dark Visitor) I timed the impulse to cause the new appogee to be during the summer of the Northen Hemispere. The North's summers are colder and it winters slightly warmer. - Sounds nice until you realize the during these mild winters the Soutern Hemisphere's hotter summers are evaporating more from the oceans and and covering most of the Earth with clouds from which snow falls in the North. Huge snow falls always come in mild winter weather but now that is ALL winter long so Washinton DC gets about 100 feet of snow each winter! Unfortunately, the following colder summer can not melt it all, so the Northern Hemisphere is rapidly plunged into never to end ice age - almost all soon die there. (Earth is already on the "edge of an ice age.")

The sea level drops as ice is stored on land and all the world's ports are usless in less than a decade. - I.e. this cosmic disaster is by far the worst in the world's history, but we who live in the Southern Hemisphere, only suffer our main costal cities being washed away by the torential rains that come with night fall every summer eve (while Earth is near perigee). We can still grow rice and live.

More details, especially why I wrote the book (encourages student to study the hard sciences) and how to read book for free, at the web site under my name.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007