Bitten by a dog today

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by G. F. Schleebenhorst, Jul 17, 2007.

1. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

* cue "I ain't reading all that shit" *

I am working as a postman/mailman just now until I can scrape a graduate job, and I'd regard myself as a nice, polite person when it comes to going above what's required etc. for getting people their mail, but for fuck's sake, some people are just horribly, horribly rude.

There's this dog (one of about 100) that always barks at me when I walk past this particular house on my route (I deliver to that house) and today I have a particularly bad wedgie, one that requires intensive underwear re-alignment, beyond what you can basically do by pulling it out from behind, so I go off the beaten track into a field with bushes so I can line everything up again....anyway, as I am heading that way I see a woman and her two dogs and I think well, the last thing I need is dogs running up to me while I'm in the bushes making me look like a pervert having a wank over someone's washing line or something, so I walk back to continue my route etc. and I have to walk past these dogs. I went to flash a quick sort of "hi" type smile to the woman and she's oblivious, listening to music so I think fair enough. The dogs look up at me with that stupid dog expresson and all seems fine.

Next thing I know one of the fucking things is attached to the back of my leg. It didn't really hurt so I was just like "hey" and the woman is like "come off there" to her stupid little dog and just walks off like nothing happened. I look down and my nice jeans (my uniform was in the wash because it got fucking soaked the day before in heavy rain, oh the joys of being a postman) are ripped in a sort of ragged "Y" so I thought maybe the woman hadn't realised her dog bit me and I called after her "Excuse me" and she takes her earphones out and I'm like:

Me: "One of your dogs just bit me"
    Her:"Oh did it?"
    Me: "Yes, it took a chunk out of my leg" (exaggeration, it drew blood but wasn't bad)
    Her: "Do you want me to tell someone you've been peeing in the moss"? (which I haven't, but once or twice I have gone further in to do just that)

(At this point I'm like what the fuck is she talking about? Is she trying to blackmail me or something? The area in question is an unmanaged field full of long grass and weeds and crap, the only thing a mile in the other direction being a big dual carriageway or "freeway" to you yanks)

Me: "Um....feel free, I don't think anyone would really care.....and what exactly is wrong with that anyway?"
    Her: "It's a public walkway" (referring presumably to a track which was little more than a path created by people flattening moss/weeds/etc)
    Me: No, it's a field. (What is it, a public field or something?)

Anyway, not even an apology. All I could think to slip in was to tell her to keep better control of her dogs....but for fuck's sake, if you own a dog it's your responsibility if it bites someone, the least you could do is apologise. I have a good mind to post her a receipt for a new pair of jeans tomorrow. Then later they drove past and it was obvious the woman was giving her bullshit side of the story to her daughters because one of them was giving me dirty looks.

I quite like being a postman but when you realise every dog wants to do that to you, it really sucks, and not all dogs are stupid little fucking approximations of dogs like that one....there's one on the round that looks more like a bear than a dog, imagine if that bit my leg.

I even brought these people their mail on the day of the postal strike and that's the thanks I get....

Opinions?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Admittedly the police could take you in for questioning for "peeing in a public place" but only if the place in question is actually public. If the place you were "adjusting" yourself was in a field which is technically someones private property then you are actually trespassing and admittedly if that got brought up you'd have to explain yourself to the person that owns the field.

As for the woman with the dog, I wouldn't be suprised if she wasn't even picking up the dogs excrement. By law it is up to the owner to curb the activities of their dog and clean up after them, this is why originally the UK had Licensing laws so as to identify the responsible person. If a dog bites someone it can actually be law to terminate it if it's proven to be dangerous. (Especially with bouts of Dogs endangering children or even causing death)

You could actually look towards a small claims suit, however I would suggest tracking down who owns the field to identify that it's not public for one and that they aren't out to get you for being in their field.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

God, that would be incredibly annoying to have to deal with a person like that.

If I were you, seriously, give her a bill for the pants. She will obviously refuse to pay and will probably try and call your supervisor to tell an exageratted wild story about how you dropped trow and peed on her lawn, just to get you in trouble.

Since she'll refuse to pay the bill, it's up to you how far legally you'd want to take it. I doubt going through the trouble of a lawyer is worth it at all, but perhaps you can say something to your boss about it.

Worst case scenario, you kill her dog and shove it's remains into her mailbox.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

First off, if the dog bit you and drew blood, there would be stark evidence there. As far as you pissing on the hedges, that's her accusation to prove, which it seems she can't. But that's trivial compared to her dog biting you.
    If you decide to take this action further, please push for having the dog confiscated and not destroyed.

Oh, and pepper spray works wonders for keeping dogs off.

8. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

There's no actual law of trespassing in Scotland. Between you and the owner (as far as I remember). You're right though, but there's no public toilets anywhere near my round. Maybe from now on I will ring that woman's doorbell if I need to use the toilet.

Yeah, I always have to step over dog turds to get to that spot in the bushes.

Yes, I thought so. It was a little Jack Russel though, imagine the laughter if I stormed into the police station about that.

Well, the incident took place out of the field on a paved path, so anything about trespassing is really a side issue....the "field" isn't a field as such, as in, it's not used for anything, just wasteland with bushes and weeds and tall messy grass. Definitely not public property though....and I wasn't taking a piss there anyway. Thanks for the advice though.

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's a situation not good for anyone's dignity. It's so shitty, there's no way you could come out on top in a situation like that. She's just being a cunt. You can't hit her. You could get the cops, but that might be excessive, and it would likely involve too much bullshit for your time. She would tell her story, you would tell hers, she would lie (based on what we know about her character), etc. Too much bullshit and time involved... you could do all these things, but nothing is good for your dignity... that just sucks. I would just do your best to forget it ever happened.

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Well, tomorrow I am going to report this, maybe she will get a warning, who knows, maybe she won't get her mail now. If that was to be the case, it would serve her fucking right. I have to report it anyway, so let's see what happens.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If the dog drew blood you may need shots.

12. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

If you know where she lives, I'd seek a little revenge. Nothing too drastic, mind.

If you deliver her mail - feel free to do the posty special and mash all of it through her letterbox.

Where is your round, out of interest?

I had a slightly annoying situation today, too. I was working at the time and offered to help a woman out. She was looking at a map, looking confused and speaking to her friend.

Me - "Hi ladies, can I help at all?"
    Bitch - "Who are you?" in a harsh tone. "Oh, don't try to sell us anything."
    Me - "I wasn't."
    Bitch - "Just as well then."

I bite my lip at this point and don't vocalise how I feel about this woman.

Me - "Whatever."

Her friend's looking from the bitch to me, looking slightly embarassed at the situation.

I gave the bitch a dirty look and went back to what I was doing.

My job involves approaching the public, offering them an interesting and plainly clear service. I'm not selling RAC or AA memberships at a service station.

The majority of people are happy enough with my friendly smile and kind offer of help, but obviously some people are just cunts. This includes the people who give you a dirty look and blank you, and the ones who shout "NO". It's a simple fucking question, asked in a nice way - where is the need to be shitty about it?

What's a little common decency or politeness going to do to you?

Fuck those kind of people.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

As long as people want to keep pets, it's their responsibility to make sure their pets don't attack or bite people. Not only is it a safety issue (for both the humans, and the pets themselves), but also a possible health issue.

Pepper spray the bastards next time they come after you. Having dogs in any position where they can attack the public is wrong. Nobody should have to deal with that kind of thing.

14. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

It's a little cruel to the dogs, but you could put some dodgy treats down for the dogs in a strategic place. Ideally we're talking a bit of meat with a laxative in it or something that will make the dogs sick when they get home.

Best case scenario - she goes out for the day and comes back to a double-doggy-diarrhea-fest on her cream carpet.

15. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You should help me get a job like that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. draqon Banned Banned

that woman is evil and all dogs are evil as well.

17. Kadark Banned Banned

1) Horrible situation for you. You don't want to keep quiet because of how pissed off you are, but at the same time, you realize that she's a woman with two dogs, which means you can't really do too much.

2) What kind of dog was it? I assume it wasn't a pitbull/rotweiler, based off your description of the attack/severity of the injuries.

18. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No way, man.

You jus' plain crazy !

My dawg Rocky - he done kep' dem rabbits offa mah tummaters.

Hail !

All mah dawgs wuz kool.

You jus' a Bozotsky !

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Doesn't the People's Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland claim to have eradicated rabies--along with all of its other native animal species like wolves and bears that could conceivably injure the apparently quite fragile people there? Isn't that the reason you have to put your dog in quarantine for something like eight years if for some strange reason you wake up with the desire to go to England? Even though he's up to date on his rabies vaccinations? Then there should be no need for shots and the Queen should not be wasting the taxpayer's money on them every time a civil servant gets an innocuous little dog bite.

It's my observation that every mailman in the US carries pepper spray. Even if dogs are no danger, we still have bears and wolves here.

Over here we're always told that the British are even crazier about their dogs than we are, that every child is issued one at birth and they're allowed in restaurants and museums. Or is that just England?

Oh yeah: Urinating in public is illegal in the state of Maryland. Not just on public property, but anywhere you might be seen by the public. A hard-hat got busted for peeing down in a construction site.

20. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

It was a stupid little Jack Russel thing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  21. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Yeah, there's been one case of rabies here in about 20 years....that was from a bat. So....let's see, no rabies, no bears or wolves, only one kind of poisonous snake, less than half the chance of being murdered compared to the USA, hardly any firearms crime, no oprah winfreys....looks pretty good to me.

It's illegal here too, you get an £80 fine (about $160) if caught by the police....however, 1) I wasn't urinating, I was about to sort out a furious wedgie until I saw her, at which point I turned around and went back and 2) It's her word against mine so whereas I have the mark and the torn trousers with dog slobber to prove I was bitten she ain't got shit.

The good news is that today one of their dogs chewed up the mail when I put it through the letterbox.

From now on I think I will wiggle the mail around a bit when I put it through.

Unless I get at least an apology.

22. draqon Banned Banned

one time a dog bit through me, cut my shirt, took meat out of my belly, scratched my pants...I was barily alive, because I have cat maneuvering techniques. So...from that day dogs are my enemies. Anyways...I get barked all the time by them, for no reason.

23. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Solution: When this happens again cook her animal and invite her to dinner.