Help me please

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by ashpwner, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

o.k here is my situation i have spilt milk on my laptop keybored lukily my laptop works and so do most of the kkys but the question mark key is broke and so is the up and down arow keys cfan someone give me advice on how to fix this withouit buying a new keybored.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

You can try doing what I did when I spelled beer allover my laptop's keyboard: take your laptop apart until you can disconnect the keyboard. From there, wash it under the sink. You would need it to dry for a few hours before you put it back in.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

erm how can i disconect my laptop keyboard?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Obey Absane and do it now... or toss the laptop into the garbage and chalk it up to a mistake.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

What make & model laptop?

9. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

You can most likely take out the screws on the underside and the shell around the mouse and keyboard area SHOULD pop out. I think most laptops are pretty straight forward. From there you can just disconnect the keyboard. Be VERY careful though, because I took my keyboard out once on my old laptop and after I put it back together, my monitor stopped working.

10. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

You can really just wash it in water and it'll be fine? I would've never thought. It does seem like the best bet though.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

A hammer might work....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

Buy new laptop. Liquid spill don't mix well with computers.

13. MrManganese Registered Member

Keyboards are pretty basic - shouldn't be any microcircuits to mess up. Water's fine as long as the keyboard isn't plugged into the laptop and/or powered when you're doing it. Also you don't want to leave any moisture behind, so if it seems like there are places where it could still be hiding, give it some extra time to dry.

14. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

As D.O. asked...if you can post the make and model, we can tell you how to take off the keyboard. If it's a Dell, it's pretty easy. Try using rubbing alcohol instead of water to clean it...or you may end up with corrosion on contacts.

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Dell disassembly guides are also available online when you click on dell.com the support link.

I was also going to suggest alcohol because his key "might" be screwy due to portions of the liquid hardening into globs (probably due to sugar). The glob(s) may be blocking whatever the key uses to complete the circuit and register a keystroke.