When will we see an extrasolar planet?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 17, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I know there are dozens of extrasolar planets. But, when will actually get to see one of these darlings?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Possibly not before the end of your lifetime - if even then. When a probe is finally launced towards one, it will still take decades to get there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Why can't we build a telescope powerful enough to visualize an extrasolar planet before the end of my lifetime?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

I seriously doubt/hope John J Bannen is not a rotten carcass typing in front of his computer for the last year or so

the quistion would be more what sort of extra terrestrial planet and to what detail?
    a famous ones is 189733b

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

All right, you got me on this one. What are you talking about? A brown dwarf isn't what I had in mind. I mean, a planet that doesn't glow by itself.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

the planet HD 209458b is a not a brown dwarf but a hot jupiter with around 1.15 times jupiters mass and 1.26 jupiters diameter.
    brown dwaqrfs see pic

start anywhere between 13 and up to 80 (or75) jupiter masses.

Annyway Darwin would be a good bet for 2015 altough it's will be crappy image quality. But hey 2015
    If you go further you get to the hazy Antoine Labeyrie hyper telescope that could be able to detect continents large weather patrons and seasons. These pictures would be more detailed then todays pictures of pluto,

On the american side you mostly have the New Worlds Imager who as far as I know hasn't got a launch date

10. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Is this picture showing me a planet that doesn't glow by itself? Darwin sounds exciting.

11. orcot Valued Senior Member

glowing yust means it radiates all gas giants radiate on some levels especielly thermal/radio wavelenghts I believe it to be a thermal radiation map

http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/press-rel/pr-2005/pr-12-05-p2.html
    they call it a brown dwarf in the article yet they estimate that it's mass is around 5 jupiters (The International Astronomical Union has no formal definition of a brown dwarf yet, altough previous cases shown that the IAU starts quistioning the defenition at around 12 jupiters this is less then half that mass)

12. Lucas Registered Senior Member

Possibly COROT (anagram of Orcot?) will find interesting things before the kicking off of the Darwin mission.

13. orcot Valued Senior Member

Not really it was tought up by my sister and I had no ID what it meant

14. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

We can confidently expect some direct images in the next 2 decades. But don't expect technicolor posters and atlases of extrasolar worlds... they will be smudges and spectrograms only.

15. orcot Valued Senior Member

2 decades... it's hard to determing more then a decade in the future of telescopes. It depends on the launch costs something that could change dramaticly when privet space programs left of and future discoveries (air breathing rockets space elevators, etc), You also chouldn't underestimate computer graphics, that can calculate the difference of a couple of blurs that change seasonally and input some spectograms and you suddenly end up with a martian sized body with a lower density because near objects react ??? with a known revolution rate because of ... With e general atmospheric conditions of??? discovered afther a spectrum analyse that diminishes by??? so the planet has lickely some polar caps of trapped??? gasses in it's winter of ???% whereout you can trace that there are??? minor gasses etc etc. It would be funny if the first images where to be more calculated then watched.