FTL Travel - A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by darksidZz, Jul 16, 2007.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

1. If FTL were possible wouldn't the ship doing it be hit with countless particles of matter all traveling at nearly the same speed? How would it withstand such termendous forces without being blown apart!

2. If FTL is possible would the ship itself stay the same size in space-time or would it decrease in size to a tiny point? After-all the faster matter moves the more energetic is becomes, so wouldn't it take on a state less resembling matter an more resembling light?

3. Why would the engine not pound through the ship itself right out the front, after-all it is the thing propelling the craft and so it's mass would be effected more-so than what its behind? How could it not go through like a bullet!

4. What effects would solar radiation and such have on a spacecraft moving at the speed of light or faster? I can't think of very good ones...

5. How would you stop moving if you were employing a FTL method?

Those are a few of my questions, anyone feel free to ask more.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You ask "if it were possible" - presumably if it were possible then we'd also have the brains to come up with some sort of deflector.

Same size relative to what?
    To itself it would be the same size.

Because engineers would make sure that the power plant was actually fastened in.
    Then the power plant and ship itself would be a single system.

Solar radiation from behind wouldn't be able to reach, since the ship would be moving faster than it.
    From in front it would be taken care of by the shields from question 1.

The way you started moving, but in reverse?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

FTL travel involves violating the laws of physics as we know them. Which means if we do it, those laws are incorrect. There's no way to predict the right way to solve a problem in a universe that doesn't work the way we think it does. Duh?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmmm just thought of a question myself:

When you are travelling at the speed of light with what speed does an oncoming photon hit you ?
    At twice the speed of light, or still at the speed of light ?

What if you are walking at 3 miles/h and you are hit by an oncoming photon does it hit you at c+(3 miles/h) ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I also have share this question :S

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think you need to brush up on the theory of relativity. That is an extremely basic question that goes right to the heart of the whole theory.

The short answer is: No matter how fast you're going, light ALWAYS is traveling at c from your perspective.

Light is always traveling at the same speed RELATIVE to everybody. That's why it's called the theory of RELATIVITY.

10. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

Don't tacion (?spelling?) particals travel faster then light????

11. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Tacheons are hypothetical and cant slow down to light speed even if they did exist.

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Why would they wanna slow down?

13. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Well we would need infinite energy to reach c.They would need infinit energy to slow down to c. Do you think we can meet?

c=light speed. If you need to know.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Tachyons," "particles." From Wikipedia:

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hey thanks Fraggle Rocker.
    Thats really weird though, sounds like photons are treated as hypothetical particals (?).

Say, i am traveling in a straight line at c and at a certain point pass a sensor that causes a photon to be emitted in my direction exactly 1/299,792,458 of a second after i pass the sensor.
    Wouldnt then photon be following me at a distance of 1 metre ???
    In this case the photon cant be traveling at the speed of light relative to me, because it would then actually exceed the speed of light.

16. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

He is wrong, he's no science wiz

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yeah but Germans are:
    Speed limits in Germany (according to Wiki)
    I KNEW I should have bought that new bike....