What is subspace?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by darksidZz, Jul 16, 2007.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

According to Star Trek subspace is like a giant honeycomb with an infinite number of hives, and each area of it contains a universe unlike this one. So my question is whether or not the episode named "Schisms" had it right, or do they not know what they're talking about? Cuz in Schisms giant alien fish things came from subspace to invade the Enterprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schisms_(TNG_episode)

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Schisms

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Uh huh and from that link:

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Yes, what I really wanted to know was whether aliens can live in subspace, what the hell is it? Is it like a dimension, and stuff, what is a dimension... explain to me these things :S

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

It doesn't exist that way except in science fiction: you might as well worry about H G Wells' Martians invading as aliens living in "subspace".

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Its a plot device.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No one can "explain" something that doesn't exist. Do you have trouble separating fact from fiction/fantasy????????

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

How does a plot device work?
    Do you plug it into the mains or can you get battery-powered ones?

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's powered by Dilithium Crystals.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There is no such thing as subspace. There is no such thing as Warp Drive, Starburst, Jump Gates, Slipstream, Stargates, and all of the other spaceflight technologies that exploit subspace.

You see, sci fi as a genre of literature has a huge problem: The majority of its stories require interstellar travel to be so fast that people in different star systems can interact with each other... form alliances, fight wars, trade scientific discoveries, or just share music and art. This is a huge problem precisely because as far as we can tell, interstellar travel simply cannot be that fast.

The nearest star that could conceivably have a planet that could conceivably support life is about four light years away--and for all we know, once we get there it could be a big bust and it will be another four light years to the next one. The fastest propulsion system that anyone has ever been able to design, even in theory, is the Star Wisp. (See the thread on interstellar travel under GS&T for more on that.) It could attain one-fifth the speed of light, which means it will take twenty years to reach that star and twenty more for the next one--and just as long to come home. But worse, it can only carry a payload of a pound or two, it really is a wisp that cannot be scaled up to passenger-sized vessels.

Passenger vessels can hardly be expected to move much faster than Voyager, which would take 80,000 years to reach Proxima Centauri.

There simply is no real-universe technology that can bring civilizations on disparate planets into true contact with each other. Even radio waves are subject to the lightspeed limitation, which means if there really is a high-tech civilization a mere fifty light years from here--a teeny tiny distance on the galactic scale--it will take one hundred years to send them a message and receive a reply. We'll be able to trade literature and blueprints, but that's all. No volleyball on the beach together.

We can hope that advances in physics will find a way around the lightspeed limitation and that advances in technology will find a way to build vehicles that can exploit that physics. But it's doubtful. Physics at the end of the 20th century is like chemistry at the end of the 19th century: we've gotten most of the basics right so it's time to move on to the next science, which in the 21st century will be biology.

We might even some day launch a generation starship that will make that 80,000 year voyage, with its machinery and civilization surviving eight times as long as we've even had civilization on earth. That's not much to hope for.

So all we can do, in order to have the escape valve of science fiction, is to dream. We dream about subspace and warp drive. But in all likelihood it is only a dream.

15. Subspace/Hyperspace

In geometry, a subspace is a space within a space, such as a cross-sectional plane within a cube, or a cross-sectional cube within a tesseract (as could be the case in hyperspace). Subspace, in science fiction, is a synonym for hyperspace, which is based on the idea of higher dimensions.
    Do not think of other dimensions as other "places", but rather as other axes of space. As far as we know, we exist in a space-time manifold which consists of 3 spatial dimensions (we'll ignore the temporal one), which we may call breadth, altitude, and depth, and which exist on what we may call the x, y and z axes.

Now imagine that there is a fourth spatial dimension (we'll call this axis w). A higher dimension is impossible to visualize, but like all our real dimensions, each point in a "higher" dimension has a coresponding point with all other dimensions. Any point in this hyperspace can be given by providing a 4-point coordinate, based on an arbitrary frame of reference. For a greater number of dimensions, add more axes.

Sci-Fi has many ways to use this feature of dimensionality to explain FTL travel. Whether it's because the laws of physics that predict our 3D realm of spatial existence do not apply in higher dimensions, or because the higher dimensions have greater curvature allowing ships to take a shortcut through "smaller" dimensions (remember the points in every dimension correspond with every other dimension), or a number of others.

I'm not a big Trekkie, but I think Trek idea of subspace involves warping our space-time manifold about the ship, allowing it to "dip" into subspace, thus reducing it's mass and allowing it to "cheat" the mass-energy equivalence, which normally prevents matter from being able to achieve the speed of light. Essentially, while the impulse drives keep propelling the ship, the warp drive creates a low-mass pocket around the ship.

Now I'm not familiar with the Schism episode, so I don't know if the creatures arrived via subspace, or if they are natives of higher dimensions (4, 5, 6...n-dimensional beings). I would think that truly higher-dimensional beings would look more like the sparkly, undulating, cloud-like beings I've seen in the original series than anything of the well-defined forms we see in 3D beings.

Incidentally, according to string theory there are 10 dimensions (9 spatial, one temporal). Hyper-dimensions, or hyperspace, has popped up in theoretical physics for some years. This is because the unification of quantum physics and relativity makes sense in higher dimensions, whereas the unification in 3D space has eluded physicists entirely. Unfortunately, the energy required to test string theory will not be attainable in any foreseeable future (I'm not sure even matter/antimatter collisions of massive amounts super heavy particles can provide the energy needed).

Seeing as many eminent physicists, philosophers and theologians have taken seriously the ideas and theories of hyperspace/subspace, one could hardly say that sci-fi writers pull it out of their asses. Still, it is pretty played out.

With technologies such as quantum computers, light rails, and Uranium/antiproton sails ahead of us, not to mention a proper quantum theory of gravity (quantum-relativistic unification), physics is hardly ready to be set aside, or set in stone as it's currently conceived.

16. Subspace/Hyperspace

In geometry, a subspace is a space within a space, such as a cross-sectional plane within a cube, or a cross-sectional cube within a tesseract (as could be the case in hyperspace). Subspace, in science fiction, is a synonym for hyperspace, which is based on the idea of higher dimensions.
    Do not think of other dimensions as other "places", but rather as other axes of space. As far as we know, we exist in a space-time manifold which consists of 3 spatial dimensions (we'll ignore the temporal one), which we may call breadth, altitude, and depth, and which exist on what we may call the x, y and z axes.

Now imagine that there is a fourth spatial dimension (we'll call this axis w). A higher dimension is impossible to visualize, but like all our real dimensions, each point in a "higher" dimension has a coresponding point with all other dimensions. Any point in this hyperspace can be given by providing a 4-point coordinate, based on an arbitrary frame of reference. For a greater number of dimensions, add more axes.

Sci-Fi has many ways to use this feature of dimensionality to explain FTL travel. Whether it's because the laws of physics that predict our 3D realm of spatial existence do not apply in higher dimensions, or because the higher dimensions have greater curvature allowing ships to take a shortcut through "smaller" dimensions (remember the points in every dimension correspond with every other dimension), or a number of others.

I'm not a big Trekkie, but I think Trek idea of subspace involves warping our space-time manifold about the ship, allowing it to "dip" into subspace, thus reducing it's mass and allowing it to "cheat" the mass-energy equivalence, which normally prevents matter from being able to achieve the speed of light. Essentially, while the impulse drives keep propelling the ship, the warp drive creates a low-mass pocket around the ship.

Now I'm not familiar with the Schism episode, so I don't know if the creatures arrived via subspace, or if they are natives of higher dimensions (4, 5, 6...n-dimensional beings). I would think that truly higher-dimensional beings would look more like the sparkly, undulating, cloud-like beings I've seen in the original series than anything of the well-defined forms we see in 3D beings.

Incidentally, according to string theory there are 10 dimensions (9 spatial, one temporal). Hyper-dimensions, or hyperspace, has popped up in theoretical physics for some years. This is because the unification of quantum physics and relativity makes sense in higher dimensions, whereas the unification in 3D space has eluded physicists entirely. Unfortunately, the energy required to test string theory will not be attainable in any foreseeable future (I'm not sure even matter/antimatter collisions of massive amounts super heavy particles can provide the energy needed).

Seeing as many eminent physicists, philosophers and theologians have taken seriously the ideas and theories of hyperspace/subspace, one could hardly say that sci-fi writers pull it out of their asses. Still, it is pretty played out.

With technologies such as quantum computers, light rails, and Uranium/antiproton sails ahead of us, not to mention a proper quantum theory of gravity (quantum-relativistic unification), physics is hardly ready to be set aside, or set in stone as it's currently conceived.

17. Subspace/Hyperspace

18. Subspace/Hyperspace

19. Subspace/Hyperspace

20. In geometry, a subspace is a space within a space, such as a cross-sectional plane within a cube, or a cross-sectional cube within a tesseract (as could be the case in hyperspace). Subspace, in science fiction, is a synonym for hyperspace, which is based on the idea of higher dimensions.

21. realsubspace Registered Member

Real subspace exist

Just telling you guy

real subspace exist i have been invented 100 years ago I am not telling you much but ftl warp drive and non movement drive where tested around 60 years ago and where proven effective

if u know a litle about quantum physic understand tesla, resonant frequency, phyladelphya eperiment , double resonating coil, super high frequency around 90ghzand finanaly extreme high voltage all the receape for ftl drive or name it drive...

22. Green Destiny Banned Banned

If I go and quickly find out how to matrices in latex, I could give you a mathematical example of a subspace - however, it will be somewhat different to what the imagination may have required; I'll be back soon.

23. Green Destiny Banned Banned

The definition of this simple work about to follow, are linear subspaces in a Matrix. We require to let our equation equal zero, and we will be finding two different solutions in a column vector where \(V_2,V_3\) and we will ask if it's linearly independant.

Our equation should be of the form.

\(\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix}= (V_1,AV_2,BV_3)\)

Thus if we have:

\(x+2y+3z=6\)

then

\((x,y,z)=(1,1,1)\)

As you can see, in its elementary form, by making them equal, 1,1 and 1, we can see it is a solution to the value \(x+2y+3z=6\). of course, by making sure we keep to what we are wanting in the beginning, we set it to zero:

\(x+2y+3z=0\)

We require two solutions, and to check if it is linearly independant, thus we can have:

\((-2,1,0)\) and \((-3,0,1)\)

From here, we can clearly see they are not linearly independant - thus the general solution of the entire form is:

\(\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}+A\begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}+B\begin{pmatrix} -3 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}\)

And this is a mathematical description of a linear subspace in a matrix.