Burn out Nation?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by S.A.M., Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The United States is the "no-vacation nation," the only advanced economy in the world that doesn't guarantee its workers any paid vacation time, says a recent report by the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington.

In fact, 28 million Americans are no-vacation workers, receiving no paid time off, vacation or holidays. On the other hand, managers and professionals often get a good deal of vacation, says John Schmitt, a senior economist with the center and one of the authors of the report.

Then there's a large group in the middle that gets some time off, but not much — and they can't even count on that time being all fun and games. It's the time they use to take care of business.

"For a lot of Americans who are in jobs without a lot of flexibility or discretion, vacation time serves a lot of purposes other than making summer trips to Disney World or Italy," Schmitt says. "They use their vacation time to stay home for the cable guy, or to attend a graduation or to take care of their kid who's come down with the chicken pox."

On average, full-time American workers receive 19 annual paid days off, according to the report — 12 vacation days and seven holidays — compared with 31 guaranteed days in France.

-------------------

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...16,1,4150855.story?coll=la-headlines-business

So don't Americans like to take time off?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So... what?

Americans have always been very hard working---it's part of the culture. I'd like to see some figures on vacations by Chinese or Japanese, as well. I'd wager that they take fewer days off than Americans.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bsemak Just this guy, you know Registered Senior Member

We have 25 paid days + hollidays, and that is the minimum. I guess it is in the culture and how strong the unions are. They are quite strong here, so that why the 25 days is a minimum for all people, whether you are unskilled labor or a manager.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

International vacation days:

http://www.jobweb.com/resources/library/International/Need_More_Vacation_188_01.htm

Australia

Most workers in Australia work 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Australians earn significantly more vacation time than Americans, for example Australians have three months off after 15 years of services. Since Australia’s summer is in December and January, most Australians take their vacation then, combine summer break with the Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays.

Belgium

The standard work week in Belgium is Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours, and cannot exceed 40 hours. Overtime must be compensated by overtime pay and an equal amount of paid time off. Employees who have completed at least a full year’s service typically receive 24 days of vacation time annually.

China

China’s standard workweek is 40 hours long, with a mandated 24-hour rest period each week. There are seven paid public holidays, and employees usually get seven to 14 days of vacation each year.

France

Beginning in 2000, the legal workweek for companies with more than 20 employees is 35 hours; smaller companies have until 2002 to adjust to the new law. French vacation benefits tend to be very generous. Typically, workers earn around four weeks of vacation each year.

Hong Kong

After being employed continuously for 12 months, an employee is entitled to vacation leave, usually ranging from seven to 14 days per year. Senior staff and executives generally get four to six weeks off each year. The normal workweek in Hong Kong is 44 to 48 hours spread over six days.

Italy

The Italian work week, is 40 hours long. The regular work week should not exceed six days, and a work day shouldn’t last more than eight hours. Workers receive at least four weeks of paid vacation, with many getting up to six weeks off.

Korea

The maximum legal work week in Korea is 44 hours, with overtime pay when necessary. Each week, employees are legally entitled to a 24-hour rest period. Employees earn one paid vacation day each month, plus ten days after one year with perfect attendance.

Norway

Normal work hours are limited by law to 37.5 hours per week, usually running Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Norwegian law also provides for 25 paid vacation days per year and a legally mandated 28-hour rest period on holidays and weekends. Employees have a right to sick leave and women are entitled to maternity leave with full pay for up to 42 weeks, or 52 weeks at 78 percent of her pay.

Singapore

Most companies in Singapore operate on a five-and-a-half-day work week, with Saturday being the half day. The standard legal work week is 44 hours long. Employees are entitled to a minimum of seven days of vacation leave for the first year of service, with most enjoying two to three weeks of leave and paid sick leave.

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I'll soon be having a vacation day, err alot of them. I'm doomed...

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I get 4 weeks, whoo hoo!

10. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

2 weeks here

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i get 15 days a year paid holiday and i dont work bank holidays, (unless i really want to)

12. superstring01 Moderator

I get four weeks of vacation each year, six paid holidays (New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day [not the movie!], Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmans), as well as five "floating" holidays.

~String

13. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

It's not just vacation but other days off as needed. In Canada, like most western democracies, new mothers get a year paid time with their child (or the father can take the time) and, if a doctor thinks the mother needs more time, then it is given. There are also more provisions for time off in western countries for paid spa-like holidays for stress relief.

I found American colleagues more tied to their employment because of dependence on health benefits. If they have a family, then less likely to take off a couple of unpaid vacation month every couple years or leave work and 'chill out' for six months between jobs. Americans seem to get into a cycle of earning a bit of seniority, a few more days vacation and then don't want to lose it all ...then work more....a day or more vacation...employment is their safety net but also acts like a dog leash stifling 'going for it' in life.

The flip side is Americans work hard and reap the financial rewards. America isn't a wealthy country by chance. Americans have earned it. Personal developmnent and family are sacrificed for working more but the big house and triple garage is within the grasp of those who have that as a priority in life.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

*GI Joe mode on*

Those damned frogs are worthless bums. We saved their asses in the war cause they were too damned drunk and lazy to do it themselves!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

It's striking when travelling around the world. Go to Tailand, Peru and so on...even our Canadian Rockies. Americans just 'hanging out' are often either in their early to mid 20's or retired. The folks in their late 20's to 50's are Australians, Brits, Canadians, Germans, Dutch and so on... Taking a couple years time out of the career path. Americans and Japanese, in the same age group are usually 'on vacation' for a week or two from work.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ugh, more ex-military? Is everyone here in the occupation of killing people at some time or the other?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They don't even use the vacation days they get

18. Atiyath Registered Member

Vacation cost

No vacation for cost cutting.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

its not a good thing, its actually dangerious. For instance the clip in sicko where bush meets the women who tells him she works 3 jobs and he is impressed by that, he should be APALED by that. I would think alot of the obesity epidomic in the US could be traced right back to that, the fact that people are stressed and so constantly producing corticel, have no time so are eatting junk food, kids are basically raising themselves. Your national health care straitigy (if your goverment even has one) is a joke

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

And apparently some paid vacation time.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i keep falling for that, i never look at the date

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

How does Frag put it? "Thread Necromancy".......by a total newb with 1 post.

I gotta call it a troll, though that is just my personal opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.