Lucid Dreams---Bullshit or not?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by BenTheMan, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Lucid dreams---Bullshit or not

1. Complete Bullshit

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Totally Real

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Not sure---maybe someone can convince me

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I have a buddy who claims that lucid dreams are possible, and even has a set of excercizes to do to improve one's ability to have a lucid dream.

The way I understand it, a lucid dream is a dream where you can contoll your actions. Generally, the way we (I?) experience a dream is as a movie. I'm always on the outside looking in, and have no control over what is happening. In a lucid dream, you have the ability to actively change the experiences and situations.

I don't think I have ever experienced this phenomenon---has anyone here ever experienced such a thing? Does anyone know of any serious research into this phenomenon?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I have lucid dreams many times. I can feel other people close to me. I can control most of the aspects in my dream, I can fly, go anywhere I wish. I can see future...however what I see is not controlled by me. It, comes to me like an uninvited fire upon an evergreen forest.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I have certainly had occasions when sleeping when I realised that I was dreaming. Not very often, but it has happened. I can't see why anyone would think it impossible.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I think it's a bit different than just realizing that you're dreaming. From what my friend was describing, you had controll over how things worked in your dream---for example, if you wanted to jump out of a window, you could manifest one and do it. Or if you wanted to have sex with a hot chick, then you could do that too.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yes I used to have these in my teens and early 20s. They would inevitably end in Flying(like superman flying really fast - even into space), or a sex dream depending on moods. Usually a totally phoney scenario(unusual bad guy in a nightmare, or movie star coming on to me) of typical dreaming would be caught by my conscious mind, yet I would not wake up. I then was asleep, knowing it and then slay the bad guy cruelly and start flying around(an amazing feeling of acceleration in the chest/abdomen) or let the "fake" world grab a hold of me and be...entertained.

Occasionally I would try to control more than myself, it is more difficult and if you start really violating the rules of the world you make up, it all unravells and you wake up. Like if you decide you want to fly a certain way(other than natural pure acceleration) or try and craft the face of the woman.

When it happens nowdays(I realize i'm dreaming) I just wake up, I do not sleep as soundly. The best i've been able to do in the last 10 years is squeeze Dolly parton's tits and hop a few feet up and down, pretty much equivalent to a fart when compared to what I used to be able to do.

Please don't delete this post - I put entirely too much effort into it.

9. Genji Registered Senior Member

Many times I know I'm in a dream and do crazy things, from exposing myself to jumping off buildings or cliffs. It's not every dream but more than once a week, that I can recall.

10. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately BenTheMan you are very wrong. They do exist and I've experienced them a few times growing up. They are mostly real but you can make things change and get stuff that's so cool happening. I had one about a female like that one from Married With Children, woot!

11. Yorda Registered Senior Member

i had a lucid dream yesterday. i also had a dream where i dreamt that i was dreaming, and one where i dreamt that i woke up (false awakening).

the "real" life is just another fucking dream which you idiots can't realize because you're dreaming that you're awake. some people who are awake can do telekinesis and other "impossible" things.

how can you not understand that dreams are made of thoughts, and everything you think becomes "reality".

dreams are movies in which we start to think that we are a character in the movie and then we become that character. same thing in real life, your ego is illusion nothing matters dont ask ignorant questions it hurts

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You're a little rough on everyone don't ya think? After-all if we're dreaming then becoming awake is certainly going to prove difficult, we live in this dream! Compounding the problem is that if we don't eat then we die, so to everyone alive this is the real world. I suppose there could be some sort of awakening that transcends this kinda of dream we are in, but until people learn how to overcome it we're screwed.

Yea, awakening is very strange, I think it's gonna be to tough for people.

13. Yorda Registered Senior Member

sorry i'm bad
    but it's just cos i'm sad

i try not to be happy
    but death is just another dream

we must eat the dream... to become it...
    u cant understand..
    because there is nothing to understand...

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Theres a herb/drug called Kratom which is supposed to make you feel like having one foot in a dream world, and the other in waking consciousness...its legal too.

Problaby as close to lucid dreaming as youll get.

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

I don't know about exercises to help you lucid dream, but Ketamine is *cough cough* supposed to cause prolonged states of lucid dreaming. Of course it's illegal, so nobody uses it for this. Dextromethorphan hydrobromide monohydrate (DXM) can also cause hypnogogic/lucid dreaming effects if it is taken in sufficiant quantities, but this might be dangerous and so nobody woul d ever do it.

I've lucid dreamed before, without the influence of drugs, but never on my own conscious decision. I'm somewhat skeptical of anything that purports to help you lucid dream, though.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i have lucid dreams and they are awesome, it is 100% true. just like you can imagine anything to be true in your minds eye right now, when you take control of your dream its very difficult to stay asleep. as the natural reaction to knowing your asleep is to wake up.

i have had quite a few lucid dreams and theya re totaly amazing things, its like you have total control of all existence and can do anything you like. you are like a god.

peace.

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Kratom is the foulest tasting shit I have ever tried. It's absolutely awful. Words cannot describe just how bad it is. If anyone ever uses this stuff, please, for your own sake, put it into capsules. To be honest, I didn't find it that great. It's supposedly very similar to poppy tea, but poppy tea is much better, imo. It's illegal, but you can get the supplies anywhere legally. Only when you grind it up does it become illegal

And of course, opium. I haven't had the chance to try real opium sadly, but I'd love to give it a go.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The active alkloid in poppy tea is just morphine no?

I think Kratom acts very differently, and theres a much wider distance being the effective and lethal dosage.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sure. Lucid dreaming is real. I used to have lucid dreams all the time. Not as much these days though... Kinda good. Kinda bad.
    A night spent lucid dreaming is a night spent... awake.

Although, I believe it's easier to lucid dream during the daytime. It's the light going through the eyelid that supposedly gives a subtle hint that you're dreaming. You can buy light visors that simulate this effect. Not sure how effective they are. But, I do know that back when I used to lucid dream, I was pretty much sleeping until 3 in the afternoon. These days I wake up at 5 in the morning... I'm lucky to remember any dreams let alone a lucid one.

The key to transitioning a dream into a lucid dream is simple recognition that you are dreaming. This can come about in many ways. I recall one time I was killed with a hand grenade thrown at me by police. I felt myself disintegrating into several pieces and at this point I realized it was a dream and pulled myself back together to kick some police ass.

I also used to experience a sort of lucid dreaming where I would wake up and attempt to move but found that I couldn't easily. The classic walking through molasses treatment. This would always alert me to the fact that I was still dreaming and the lucid experience could begin. (I clearly recall the first time this occurred. I woke up. Sat up. Struggled and struggled and struggled to get to a sitting position. Finally got there and thought, "What the fuck?" So, I turned around to look at my bed and saw myself still laying there. This pretty much freaked me out and I woke up immediately. I had thoughts of out of body experiences for a while, but I tested this hypotheses in many ways and found that it was all a dream, nothing more. Interesting though.)

I've never been able to move easily in lucid dreams. And the more I try to exert control, the harder it is to move. I believe that this is because I am actually waking up and thus the difficulty in movement is from the fact that my body is laying in body partially paralyzed by sleep chemicals.

I'm sure there are exercises and techniques which would allow you to maintain the lucid experience with less effort and thus extend the experience and the range of possibilities, but I never managed it.

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I would love to be lucid in dreams...for the simple reason that Im so much smarter and creative in dream states.

I sometimes wake up thinking what a great film or novel that dream would make...only to have it disapppear by the time I turn on the light!

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

BTW, in eastern spiritual traditions it is thought that highly evolved people do not dream at all...its called 'the dreamless sleep of the just'.

22. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I see you readin this BenTheMan

23. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Man, the freakiest dreams I've had are of being weightless. I've literally had dreams of flying like a vampire, not like superman. I would push myself off with one foot and start floating to the top, once I gain momentum it's hard for me to stop. I literally float from room to room when indoors and I can recall looking down hugging the ceiling, feeling the gravity pull on my back to going so high outside I scared myself though it's a freakish feeling of liberation. To get back down was the hardest and frightening part as I had to straighten my body and effectively drag without freefalling. I can recall the first time I did this and in my dream I knew I could do anything if I could think it and I did and it worked to my astonishment, the butterflies and subtle effects were absolutely perfect and genius. One time I had a dream where I just shot up into the atmosphere not by my conscious choice at night and it was such a weird horrific feeling of having nothing to hold onto and screaming on the way down. I have no idea why I had those dreams as I'm not a thrill seeking junky. All this happens at night or in the dark in my dreams. No daylight flying for me in my dreams, maybe because I would be seen and people would know my secret. It seemed I had a sense of ability or knowledge of physics in my dreams that others didn't take advantage of or something along the lines.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007