75% of U.S. Adults Will Be Overweight by 2015

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sandy, Jul 12, 2007.

1. sandy Banned Banned

Not surprising since it was already 66% in 2003. It's probably 75% now. And I think 50% are already considered obese.

The study found that women ages 20-34, regardless of race or ethnicity, are becoming obese and overweight at a faster rate than men and children. It also found that 80% of black women age 40+ are currently overweight, while 50 percent are obese.

States in the Southeast have higher prevalence of obese and overweight adults than states on the West Coast, the Midwest and the Northeast.

Fewer white children and adolescents are overweight and risk becoming overweight compared with their black and Mexican counterparts.

Less-educated people have a higher prevalence of obesity than their counterparts, with the exception of black women.

Interesting....

I think Americans are becoming obese because so many are just not eating right or exercising. Duh... With all the modern technology, some people hardly leave their homes anymore.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,288967,00.html

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Willy Banned Banned

It is probably all that racism that makes blacks and mexicans so overweight.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And just so y'all know, obesity is NOT just a problem in the USA. Obesity is becoming a problem all over the world, including Europe.

Baron Max

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Willy Banned Banned

Blacks in Europe are obese too?

8. sandy Banned Banned

I couldn't find any current Euro stats but many of the people in Europe (England, France, Germany, Belgium etc...) smoke/drink themselves thin, don't they?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That's true. Its genetic. Same with Native Americans, Inuit, Samonas. They also have greater risks of high blood pressure.

Its got to do with a leptin (aka feast/famine) gene. If you are from a culture where food was scarce, then your body hung onto everything it could get. Well, these cultures no longer deal with famine, but tell that to years of evolution.

Its why women have a harder time losing weight than men. We hang onto it for pregnancies/nursing.

10. Willy Banned Banned

Africa Faces Growing Obesity Problem

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) - Africa, a continent usually synonymous with hunger, is falling prey to obesity. It's a trend driven by new lifestyles and old beliefs that big is beautiful. Ask Nodo Njobo, a plump hairdressing assistant. She is coy about her weight, but like many African women, proud of her "big bum." She says she'd like to be slimmer, but worries how her friends would react.
    "Here, if you lose a lot of weight, people automatically think you have TB or AIDS. It's not like in America and Europe where you go on a diet to lose weight," Njobo said.

More than one-third of African women and a quarter of African men are estimated to be overweight, and the World Health Organization predicts that will rise to 41 percent and 30 percent respectively in the next 10 years.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8LN0P6G1&show_article=1

11. Willy Banned Banned

I thought the majority of blacks and mexican's are poor.

Where are these groups getting all the money to buy all that food?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Studies show that people don't eat much more food than they ever did in the past. The problem is lack of exercise and lower quality food. The food might taste better, but lower quality = cheaper food.

13. Willy Banned Banned

Cookies as big as frisbees. Muffins the size of flower pots. Bowls of pasta so deep, your fork can barely find the bottom. One reason people's waistlines have expanded over the past few decades is because food portions have too.

Portion Distortion
    People today eat way more than they used to — and way more than they need to. This means that they're constantly taking in more calories than their bodies can burn. Unfortunately, lots of us don't realize that we're eating too much because we've become so used to seeing (and eating!) large portions.

Portion sizes began to increase in the 1980s and have been ballooning ever since. Take bagels, for example: 20 years ago, the average bagel had a 3-inch diameter and 140 calories. Today, bagels have a 6-inch diameter and 350 calories. One bagel that size actually contains half a person's recommended number of grain servings for an entire day!

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/portion_size.html

14. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I have a solution, Absane, James, Baron, etc... we must all eat the people! Yes that's right, eat'm up good and cook'm! They can be a new food source, an everlasting one!

I just had a thought, what if we could generate an organic lifeform that would grow using the sun + other surrounding things. Then we could eat some of it and let it continue to grow, in the end we'd be eating a fleshlike organism that is meat but has no brains :S~

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I say we start eating owls

16. fishtail Registered Senior Member

When will we see super obese people as the new obese?

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

You volunteering to be served at the Sci-BBQ ?

I call dibs on butchering you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:mufc:

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

where is this information comming from? since when does drinking make you lose weight? as a personal trainer i had to get dozens of people to stop drinking so much because it helped them put on weight.

ever hear of a beeer belly?

peace.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

there is nothing wrong with eatiing huge amounts of pasta, i eat bucket loads ever week.

peace.

20. Willy Banned Banned

It is too bad that hispanics and blacks don't consume education, the way the consume food.

21. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Why is it so much higher in the US? Here in Canada it's only about 30%, but we eat fast food and drive everywhere too. Tim Hortons has some pretty healthy stuff though for being a fast food joint...

22. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

willsh, WiollaLet

23. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

It is too bad that hispanics and blacks don't consume education, the way they consume food.

It is too bad that Willy doesn't consume education, the way he consumes bandwidth.....:shrug: