Kids and Coffee

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

In your opinion, at what age is it ok for kids to drink coffee? :shrug:
    My son has been asking and I won't let him. 5? 10? 15?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If they are taking caffeinated soft drinks, I guess it wouldn't really matter.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Females.... it is me...

Drinking coffee is ok, it's just water with beans in it. I would wait though until they're older because it could potentially mess up their immune system or stuff, right?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. M.A.R.K Registered Member

Mine used to drink coffee at about 7. But in all fairness it was all milk and no coffee.

Depends I suppose on what yours is like. If he eats a certain food do you have to scrape him off the walls?

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, then they weren't really drinking coffee were they? They were holding a coffee cup is all.
    I don't drink coffee so I have nothing to judge it on. I don't have an age to start with, I don't know its effects, etc.

So its like a sugar rush?

9. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

It's probably healthier than any pre-packaged drinks you buy them.

Does he just want to taste it, or has he tasted it and wants to drink it?

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I gotta agree with sam---if you're letting him drink cokes, why not coffee? Just brew it a bit weaker, or have the starbucks guy cut it with decaf---he'll never know the difference. TOO much caffine is probably bad, but the coffee has a lot of good stuff in it, too:

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

11. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

We don't have pop in the house...but we do have kool-aid.
    At what age would it be allowable?

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

it depends what you decide. i dont drink coffee and im an adult. i dont drink booze, i dont smoke, i wouldent let my daughter do any of the above either.

when she is an adult she can decide for herself. it depends what type of parent you are. coffee can become addictive to adults and children. its a drug.

peace.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Hmm, good food for thought EFOC. I forgot about it being addictive (DUH! hubby drinks 2 pots a day = 20 cups) I was only thinking of the caffeine. Thanks for the input.

16. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

How much is too much?

Addictive?
    What quantity is required to become addicted?
    I generally have 6-10 mugs per day, minimum.
    If I go without it doesn't bother me.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

anytime, and yeah people forget that things are drugs when they are legal and mainstream. it is still an addictive substance that can give you a slight buzz or high.

its a multi million industry just like the sale of booze. people get hooked on it, somebody stated earlyer that coffee is not bad for you. but infact the way it is drunk it indeed is bad for you. because you will usualy find people take coffee with sugar and other things that are bad for you. and as 1 cup leads to another you begin to get addicted and it can lead to bad health habbits,

also unless it is fair trade coffee bean then its also not good for other people who are producing it. many people are exploited in the coffee bean trade and it is involved in the slave trade,

but many people int he west dont care about any of the above, they dont need to know where it comes from or who suffers. they are happy knowing that the coffee comes out of the expresso machine and its now in a cup ready to be drunk.

peace.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

you can become dependent on coffee. it is not an addiction like nicotine or heroin.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web3/Howard.html

"Once a certain level of caffeine consumption is reached, and the person is dependent, they will also develop a tolerance to caffeine. Those who drink large amounts can become immune to the effects of all but the largest doses of caffeine while people who use it infrequently often feel effected by as little as 1 cup of coffee (3). This means that people who use coffee to feel energetic will have to take more, thereby filling the second requirement of an addiction. There is not a realistic comparison of caffeine dependence to hard drug dependence as far the third point is concerned. While some might go out of their way to buy coffee, no one would go to extreme measures such as theft to support a "habit." "

peace.

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

So another scare tactic - like tea being addictive, but you need about 80 cups per day to actually become addicted.
    So 10 mugs per day isn't affecting me - how much do I need?
    (Or am I naturally immune to caffeine addiction?)
    Ooops, no figures available, just supposition.
    Like jam and cheese stunting your growth 20-30 years ago.

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

jam and cheese are not drugs, you can become mildly addicted to coffee. just like people can become mildly addicted to sweet foods or booze.

it gives you a buzz or high, the body can become immune to it. therefore increasing the ammount you need to intake for the drug to take effect. people say booze is not addictive but we both know alcoholics exist.

peace.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And you're too young to remember that a while ago there was a scare that jam and/ or cheese stunted the growth of children

Yup, that's what they say, but don't give figures for intake to become addicted.
    My intake is always fairly high, but when I stop I stop.
    No withdrawal symptoms.

Coffee != alcohol.
    They still don't say what level is required for addiction to set in.
    Like with tea - it IS addictive, but only if you're at the 80 cups per day level - who does that?
    If no-one reaches the intake required for addiction to set in then it isn't (in practice) addictive is it?

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yes but still cheese and jam are not drugs,

your body can experience internal symptoms though as it states in the link i provided.

the queen, and yeah its not conclusive but we both know some adults are addicted to drinking the stuff.

in all fairness no your right, but different people can handle different levels of each substance. and im sure children will be effected faster than adults. as this is about children drinking coffee and if its a good idea. wich i still think its not, just like i think children drinking cola is bad,

and i like to see that you pulled out the good ol multiple quote

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

23. M.A.R.K Registered Member

Well yeah. But not Filter Coffee. It was instant.

But you've gotta have some majorly strong coffee to cause dependency.

I don't think you can, or should really wrap them up in too much cotton wool.

Because at some point something gets through the wool.

And if they're not used to anything getting through the wool.

Then the shock can be worse.

If that makes any sense to you at all, you're a better man than I. And, assuming that you're NOT in fact a man, that's a feat. ;D

I'll shut up now I think. And get back to work.