What's being done to discover higher dimensions?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 11, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

M Theory requires multiple higher dimensions. What's being done to discover these higher dimensions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

spring cleaning perhaps?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

We've got four dimensions. Why not more? Makes perfect sense. Worth investigating, especially when physicists agree.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

In M theory all the extra dimensions are supposed to curled up ("compactified") and inaccessible except on beyond-microscopic scales. The strings themselves can vibrate in all those dimensions, but anything much larger than becomes too big to take advantage.

So it's not like the other 7 dimensions are out there and we just need technology that lets us see them, but then once that's done we'll be able to move left/right, up/down and/or brill/tove. Some day (deep into the distant future) perhaps someone will figure out a way to uncurl one of the compactified spatial dimensions, but that's way beyond where we are now technologically.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Well I'm having a party next Saturday...

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm a total layman when it comes to this field, so I'm sorry if my question seems a bit silly. Are there any hypotheses as to what would you happen if you were to uncurl one of those compact spatial dimensions?

10. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge, no. To the best of my knowledge though, the first reference to uncurling one of the compactified dimensions was in my post above...so I sure someone somewhere has probably thought about the issue in much greater detail than I have.

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

thee females?!