UK Teeth

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The first thing I notice in a person is their teeth. When I was dating, if a man had bad teeth, he didn't have a chance.

WTF is up with the teeth of people in Great Britain?? Is it just a stereotype?? Is the BBC lying to me? Are they only showing the worst of the worst?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Dentists are crap.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

it can be very difficult to get a NHS dentist in the uk!! i have been living in lancashire now for 4 years and we still havent got a regular dentist, but i make sure we brush every day, and so far we're all ok.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I thought there was a national healthcare in the UK? I thought you could just walk into a dentist's office and they had to care for you. Ya' mean national healthcare ain't so good as people like to think it is?

Baron Max

8. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

For similar reasons I havn't seen a dentist in 2 years because it's just too much hassle after you've moved. When you do go they seem only interested in getting you out of the chair as quickly as possible to collect their overinflated remuneration.

9. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I went to a dentist 50 miles away, because it's easier to keep one once you've got one. Recently they sent us a letter saying that they're dropping all NHS patients.

Cunts.

I plan to get some dental insurance.

10. BangBangYou'reDead Registered Member

Where i live the only NHS Dentists are do fit braces all the others are private but if you are under 18 its free.

11. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

The system's crap; when you know more about what needs to be done than they do you know there's a problem.
    The dentists often leave to go to the private sector(higher pay) meaning you go through things all over again with the new one because they don't ever seem to check your history. There are waiting lists, especially if you move house to a different area.
    All in all it just doesn't work, and we drink a lot of that teeth staining tea.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Dentists are like locksmiths they do 5 minutes drilling and want 250 quid.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, I never thought of that. Is smoking (nicotine stains) common in the UK as well?

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Actually it can be amongst young people it seems. There's a lot of people who, in their youth and student years, do a lot of drinking, smoking, staying out all night, not bothering to brush their teeth regularly etc. Then later on they really don't care about all this whitening crap so it just stays that nasty colour.
    To be fair it is mostly a stereotype that Brits have bad teeth, just like the drinking of tea(doesn't coffee stain too? That would make Brits similar to Americans right?). Obviously stereotypes have a basis in fact but how far back this one goes I have no idea.

Did you know that despite all that sick actually damages and stains teeth far more than anything else? Good tip for spotting bulimics.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Bad rotting teeth here is a sign of meth use. And there are a whole lot of meth users where I'm from.
    They even have dentists specializing in it.

16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

How common is it for people to get a set of ceramics?

I mean the average person, not hollywood actors/actresses.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

no one I know has them. They aren't covered by my insurance because they are cosmetic. There are cheaper crowns/false teeth available for people who it isn't considered cosmetic.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no you just cannot walk into a dentist and they have to care for you, you ahve to be on they're list, we do have emergency dentists that will cure a toothache by taken the tooth out.

there is a shortage of dentists in the uk.

19. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

The NHS in the UK is bollocks. I disagree with the whole idea. I mean we have car insurance, house insurance, I even have insurance on my fucking bike... why can't people get their head around health insurance? I'm sick of this nanny state trying to look after every single loser at the expense of everybody else. Private healthcare in the Uk is very good but it is expensive, however one would have more money to spend on it if they didn't have to pay so much money in tax for the NHS. I think the american system is much better....if you're not prepared to spend money to look after yourself, then why should anybody else?

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ive never had a problem with dentists in london. we get free dental care and its good service here.

everyone i know who had bad teeth got braces when they were very young in school, i didnt need braces because my teeth all grew in straight.

peace.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so if you were hit with a £50.000 healthcare bill you wouldent mind?

peace.

22. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

The medical care in the UK is satisfactory, I reckon. It's not perfect, as some relatives of mine have discovered, but it's a damn sight better than getting stung for tens of thousands of pounds for a minor operation. Saying that, I'll probably get health insurance when I can afford it. When I'm old, I need a policy that will see me to my last breath without eligibility problems.

The dentist situation really is shitty, though. Even NHS prices can be silly. A scrape and clean at the hygienist is about £30. It takes five or ten minutes and they might need to clean the pointy scraping stick afterwards. Robbing bastards.

23. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

EmptyForce:

No of course I wouldn't, because I'm insured with BUPA who will pay the bill and ensure I get the treatment as soon as possible. Thats the whole point of having private insurance. At the end of the day it is a service and if you want it, you should pay for it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007