Perception of Measurement

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by original, Jul 7, 2007.

1. original sine Registered Senior Member

The human eye is not perfect. Most of us are able to see a limited part of the light spectrum, while some have vision problems like the diminished vision or differences in the perception of color. You know how some people describe a fish they caught by spreading their hands or saying the measured length or weight? Well, you may also notice that the distance between the hands changes, especially with a storyteller that likes to exaggerate. The same inconsistency can be applied to our empirical measurements. The value 0 represents nothing, non-existence, or neutrality, while 1 represents a whole unit. Our application of these basic measurements varies in accuracy depending on what is measured.

For example, the temperature known as "absolute zero" is supposedly -273.15 degrees Celsius / -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit, while it is stated as 0 degrees in on the Kelvin or Rankine scale*. Alternatively, consider the measurement of ingredients while cooking. You measure one tablespoon of sodium, four liters of water, and a pound of pasta noodles. While precise measurement is not essential in this scenario, it illustrates how our methods of measurement can create error.

Our ability to abstract calculations of 1 meter is limited to what we perceive as .5 meters, .25 meters, .025 meters, .0025 meters, .0000000025 meters, etc. That is not to say that a diligent student can not do this, but it is not natural for us to engage readily in such perception. I had a clear direction with this thread about how our science is only as good as our math, but then I started thinking about ants and their scale to humans and our scale to the universe, and now I'm just tired.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thank you Wikipedia for enabling my lazy brain:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero